Classic ZynAddSubFX VST download

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello.

I just recently found this amazing synth and it seems to be one that I could use for most of my sounds. It does however need some improvements. I've tried the version posted in this thread and it works with the wrapper, but it doesn't work at all without it. When using the wrapper everything is lost when I close it, so I can't use it that way. I've also tried the 2.4.0 version which works without a wrapper, but crashes far too often. But at least everything gets saved using that one. I've seen that there's been many discussions here about a good windows vsti version of this synth and I'd love to see that. I think that, besides the crashes, the interface is what needs most work. As it is now it opens a "dummy window" then several other windows outside the host which feels very awkward. How about putting everything in the "dummy window"? Though, first it would be good if it would work inside the host. Jackoo, is it possible that you have the time to make it work without using the wrapper? That would be a very good start. ;)

I hope to see more improvements on this one, it's a really good synth, just not very easy to use.

MrB2 wrote:Hello.

I just recently found this amazing synth and it seems to be one that I could use for most of my sounds. It does however need some improvements. I've tried the version posted in this thread and it works with the wrapper, but it doesn't work at all without it. When using the wrapper everything is lost when I close it, so I can't use it that way. I've also tried the 2.4.0 version which works without a wrapper, but crashes far too often. But at least everything gets saved using that one. I've seen that there's been many discussions here about a good windows vsti version of this synth and I'd love to see that. I think that, besides the crashes, the interface is what needs most work. As it is now it opens a "dummy window" then several other windows outside the host which feels very awkward. How about putting everything in the "dummy window"? Though, first it would be good if it would work inside the host. Jackoo, is it possible that you have the time to make it work without using the wrapper? That would be a very good start. ;)

I hope to see more improvements on this one, it's a really good synth, just not very easy to use.
Have you tried saving the patches before you close it? I know that sounds a tad obvious, but doing File > save parameters or save preset could work.

Andrew.

Count_fuzzball wrote: Rakarrack, uses the FX of zyn as a stand alone/JACK aware app for a guitar FX rack, it does exactly what you described above, lets audio be processed by the FX.

Though, I'm running RT Jackd and I seem to get an awful lot of nasty xruns on my system...
OT here, but I asked on the rakarrack mailing list about the cause of the xruns. Turns out I was using a very old version that produced denormals with my CPU when the processed audio went to 0. This was fixed in later versions by introducing a small amount of noise into the output signal..

Carry on gentlemen!

Count_fuzzball wrote:Have you tried saving the patches before you close it? I know that sounds a tad obvious, but doing File > save parameters or save preset could work.
Actually I haven't, but I'm sure it works (well, not that sure actually ;)), but that wasn't the point. (I'm sorry if I don't express myself well, but I usually use another language so my english may not be perfect.) I didn't mean it wasn't possible, but doing that means that I first have to remember to save it, then every time I load a project I have to manually start the slavehost, then load the "vsti" in it and then find the preset and load it. That's not how a vsti is supposed to work. It would be less work to just start a standalone version and skip the extra host step.

The 2.4.0 version works without an extra host, and after I've tried it out a little more I find it doesn't crash as often either. Not sure what I did different but when I first tried it it kept crashing all the time. Especially easy if I loaded a patch.
However I found another odd thing with it. I inserted two instances of it, which at first seemed to work, though somehow they seemed to interfere with eachother resulting in some weird sounds. Also trying to automate the volume was obviously a bad idea.

Anyway, I think it's more important to get it to work as you expect a vsti to work than adding new features. I do belive it's a very good synth, but it has to be usable for it to matter.

Btw, "edit" in the panel window doesn't work.

The VST posted in this thread *works* without the wrapper on the hosts I could test (may some other users please say which host they're using, and if the dll loads directly). It is a known issue that it does affect the host's GUI if it is loaded directly within the host.

The framework used to build Zyn's GUI is FLTK, which was used for a Linux environment. This framework quite incompatible with the steinberg's VSTSDK.

You cannot integrate zyn's original GUI, inside a VST. That is why the dummy window is used. In order to fix this, it would require a complete rewrite of zyn's user interface, using native windows tools (that is.. an enormous amount of work)

There is no change in the way the user interface is handled in 2.4.0 compared to the other modified versions, so I do not understand why 2.4.0 would work and the others not (no code has been modified in that direction).

Bear in mind that this thing was not designed to be a VST. This is a linux jewel, and the porting to vst is more like a 'workaround'. It can't be 100% compatible with the VST standard.

I do plan to bring most of the (sound) features on Linux into this, but there will always be some incompatibility (like erratic GUI related stuff).

Also, the problem with multiple instances works with some hosts, and does not with others. This is another sensitive thing caused by FLTK, some twisted dll stuff (which I don't yet know how to solve).

@MrB2: What host are you using?

I use sonar, and I assume the dll loads directly... I don't know what you mean with that. Neither version affects the gui as far as I can tell, but with the 2.4.1.420beta version audio stops and it won't play.

Though I've found it works using chainer, which is a much better solution if you have it. Loading multiple instances works too, as far as I can tell. However I can only open and close the synth window one time, the next time I open it it will hang if I try to close it. Apart from that and some random crashes it seems to work fairly well. The 2.4.0 version does not hang (opening and closing it) if loaded directly, however it too hang if used in chainer, though more randomly it seems.

I understand that redesigning the gui would be a lot of work, but everyone using this on windows would likely apreciate that more than any new feature.

>I understand that redesigning the gui would be a lot of work, but everyone using this on >windows would likely appreciate that more than any new feature.
I am not sure if this would solve the issue or not, but there has been significant amounts of work put into the development of a Qt GUI.
From what I have heard in the past Qt fairs quite well at cross platform compatibility.

Right now, I am not sure if the VST backend will compile with it, but I would say it would be much easier to merge in any of the VST fixes rather than try to rebuild the GUI yet another time.
One of the developers on the ZynAddSubFX open source synth
The author of the Zyn-Fusion UI for ZynAddSubFX

fundamental wrote:I am not sure if this would solve the issue or not, but there has been significant amounts of work put into the development of a Qt GUI.
Thank you for the info. I admit it may seem a bit stupid trying to make a new gui before seeing where this leads, asuming it doesn't take too long. Though fixing the open/closing hanging issue shouldn't be that much of work.

Hallo together,

I'm using Reaper as host on win XP. I've read here that it would be good to use a VST wrapper to use Zynaddsubfx.

I don't know what a VST wrapper is and how it functions.

Where can I find a VST wrapper and the newest version of zynaddsubfx for xp

Rudl

Rudl wrote:Hallo together,

I'm using Reaper as host on win XP. I've read here that it would be good to use a VST wrapper to use Zynaddsubfx.

I don't know what a VST wrapper is and how it functions.

Where can I find a VST wrapper and the newest version of zynaddsubfx for xp

Rudl
I would try it as is with Reaper, works for me in XP, although I use it mainly in linux.
Cheers

For people having trouble downloading from Mediafire, here's an alternative link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/390081530/Z ... 20beta.zip

cheers,
Chris
Whatever you do, don't click here!

Waiting for next version.

What about 64bit compatibility in W7/64 ?

Because I'm considering moving to this new OS.

My hosts are Live8, CS5 and Reaper 3.

Cheers....
Cylinder Xeon Hexacore 3,5GHz, 64GB RAM, SSDs. DualBoot Mojave/LinuxMint. Steinberg UR22mkII USB audio. M-Audio Axiom 61.
Ableton Live 10, Cubase Pro 12, Logic Pro X
https://www.youtube.com/@landosonic/videos

I'm using the vsti in W7/64 just fine. Don't know about other hosts than FL studio though.

I tried to integrate it in Zen, as it would be absolutely awesome to have its presets in there as well. It works, but unfortunately, keeps running and prevents Zen from exiting. That's a pity, as I really would like to have it in there...

[edit] it also looks like it doesn't respond to effGetProgramName or effGetProgramNameIndexed messages :(

[edit2] it also crashes randomly if the host sends effSetChunk while it is playing...

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”