Classic ZynAddSubFX VST download

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HunterKiller wrote:Where is the bank path setting stored, registry or a file?
(The manage folders option when opening instruments)
It's in zynaddsubfxXML.cfg, but unfortunately any path you set there won't really be registered in the VST version of ZynAddSubFX unless that file is in the DAW project folder, so recommend you use the default C:\ZynAddSubFX one to avoid hassle.

V'ger wrote:
HunterKiller wrote:Where is the bank path setting stored, registry or a file?
(The manage folders option when opening instruments)
It's in zynaddsubfxXML.cfg, but unfortunately any path you set there won't really be registered in the VST version of ZynAddSubFX unless that file is in the DAW project folder, so recommend you use the default C:\ZynAddSubFX one to avoid hassle.
Thanks V'ger.

Yeah what is that error that I get now with the cfg file. It says it's not existant and will write it to C:
The thing is I cannot even find the zynaddsubfxXML.cfg file for the 2.4.1.476 beta.

I've still got the old 2.2.1 version and there was no such error there.

Something else I've noticed, the old Zyn now cannot view its own bank folder, only the newer version's one.
Even though the old one was the one I installed and the new one I just put there since there is no installer.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

I wrote the code for that...

You have to CREATE the folder C:\ZynAddSubFX manually.
Then, at first run, Zyn will write a cfg file for you. After this file is created, the content of the cfg is correctly read.

But all this is mentioned in the readme file (if ppl bothered to read it).

If the folder does not exist, it will not be able to write the cfg in it.

Reading readmes? That's crazy talk.. :hihi:

Want to add that having had a serious spell of G.A.S. lately means I have a lot of top drawer synths to compare to but ZynAddSubFX still does the best strings of all.. :love: And other sounds are right up there too, and so nice with a perfectly stable version so thanks again guys.. :tu:

jackoo wrote:I wrote the code for that...

You have to CREATE the folder C:\ZynAddSubFX manually.
Then, at first run, Zyn will write a cfg file for you. After this file is created, the content of the cfg is correctly read.
That's great.

But why must the folder be on the root, can't it be with the rest of the plugin files. I really dislike the fact that a folder must be created on the root in order to hold only one 2kb file.

The older versions seemed to do this well.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel

The main point of the folder is to put all the banks (patches) so ZynAddSubFX can find them (and the cfg file), it never really worked well before (at least in Windows and VST version) unless the cfg file was in the DAW project folder, which was useless as most people use different folders for different projects.

I would have preferred it in the VST folder too, but don't really mind it in C:\. Compared to a lot of VSTs where some folders/files of the same instrument are spread to \Program Files, \My Documents, \Documents and Settings etc etc it's not really that bad.

HunterKiller is right. It needs the root folder only for the cfg file.
The bank locations then are read from the cfg file.
Banks, and VST dll can be anywhere.

The old version did not work better, most of the time it did not ever found the cfg file, and resorted to default values which were hardcoded i think in the dll.

My problem was that I don't know how to determine the current path of the dll, once the dll is in memory, so i don't know how to find the cfg file. One way was to mess with the registry, but :D i didn't have code for that, and didn't have time to write one. So I thought everybody has a C drive and can make a folder in it named ZynAddSubFX, where the cfg would be.

If anyone knows how to detect the path of the dll in realtime in c++, or knows some nice classes to write and read from the registry, maybe i'll implement that.

Alright, thanks fellers.

My only suggestion for future versions would be to do it like the uhe plugins do it. Dll and data folder (settings, banks, whatever else) together, wherever you want them.

Hi,

just wanted to drop by to say thank you for your great effort to bring this wonderful synth to the Windows world also by coding the VST version. :)

I also have a little question though, would it be possible for future versions to implement sync to host for LFO, effects and other things (didn't dive deep enough into it yet to be able to name "other things" but i could imagine there are some)? That's the only thing i rly felt missing with it, compared to other plugins.

Greetings, chk

jackoo wrote:HunterKiller is right. It needs the root folder only for the cfg file.
The bank locations then are read from the cfg file.
Banks, and VST dll can be anywhere.

The old version did not work better, most of the time it did not ever found the cfg file, and resorted to default values which were hardcoded i think in the dll.

My problem was that I don't know how to determine the current path of the dll, once the dll is in memory, so i don't know how to find the cfg file. One way was to mess with the registry, but :D i didn't have code for that, and didn't have time to write one. So I thought everybody has a C drive and can make a folder in it named ZynAddSubFX, where the cfg would be.

If anyone knows how to detect the path of the dll in realtime in c++, or knows some nice classes to write and read from the registry, maybe i'll implement that.
Try...

Code: Select all

char path[MAX_PATH];
	HMODULE hModule = GetModuleHandle("ZynAddSubFx.dll");
	DWORD size = GetModuleFileName(hModule, path, MAX_PATH);
	//if (size == ...
And then use "_splitpath".

Is 64bit ever to be a possibility?

concerning 64bit:

i want to use zynaddsubfx in cubase 5 64bit.
however, cubase's own bridge can't bridge zyn 32bit to 64bit. so, i tested zyn in cubase64 with jbridge (bridging zyn from 32 to 64 bit). now, i have a little problem:
zyn works with jbridge, but i cannot test whether zyn's presets or parameters are being properly recalled in a cubase project because preset recall is disabled in jbridge demo version.

thus, is anybody here who has been able to get zyn to perform total recall successfully in a project using the full version of jbridge (in any host, not necessarily in cubase as the behavior will be similar in other 64bit daws) ?

i appreciate any reply.
peace.
Cylinder Xeon Hexacore 3,5GHz, 64GB RAM, SSDs. DualBoot Mojave/LinuxMint. Steinberg UR22mkII USB audio. M-Audio Axiom 61.
Ableton Live 10, Cubase Pro 12, Logic Pro X
https://www.youtube.com/@landosonic/videos

No one ?
Come on guys, this is KVR...
don't leave me in the lurch...please.
Cylinder Xeon Hexacore 3,5GHz, 64GB RAM, SSDs. DualBoot Mojave/LinuxMint. Steinberg UR22mkII USB audio. M-Audio Axiom 61.
Ableton Live 10, Cubase Pro 12, Logic Pro X
https://www.youtube.com/@landosonic/videos

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”