ZynAddSubFX Hoembrew Formula :)

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone :)

for all the OS X users out there (and of course myself) I've created an Homebrew formula, and it works great.

Brew is the missing package manager for OS X (imho way better than macports and fink), info here: http://brew.sh/

After you've set up brew, you can find instructions for installing ZynAddSubFX on my Github: https://github.com/aasgit/homebrew-zynaddsubfx

It's been throughly tested in every install combination offered (btw: installs from sources or from git) and it runs just fine.

Enjoy and share your thoughts :)

Cheers

ps: I'd really love to know how to build with VST support , please.

ps for devs: I had to apply a few patches here and there, you might want to include them upstream.
aa

There was some discussion on building with brew on the mailing list not that long ago. That discussion did not indicate that including pthread in nearly every file of zyn was necessary (as globals.h appears in most places in one form or another).

You appear to reference the discussion in the build file: (where this additional patch was not mentioned)

http://sourceforge.net/p/zynaddsubfx/ma ... nth=201310

Is there a reason why pthread is needed in those two files?
One of the developers on the ZynAddSubFX open source synth
The author of the Zyn-Fusion UI for ZynAddSubFX

Hi fundamental,

thanks for your considerations on pthred.

Simply put it won't compile without the patches. No other reason.
aa

Well I figure that much is the case :p, but I would be very very surprised if there was not a more fine grained place to put it.
If you can find where it is *actually* needed (eg Foo.cpp Bar.h WidgetyWidget.h), then I'll have no problems adding it.

Hi fundamental,

there were a few files actually, but I can't remember them all.

I'm going to recompile without the patch and see, but not today.

I'll keep you posted :)

Thank You
aa

SWEET! Passing this link on to all of my MacFaithful friends. :hihi:

Thanks ishkabbible!!!!

ps: I've heard your music with ZASF, great stuff :)
aa

anerandros wrote:Thanks ishkabbible!!!!

ps: I've heard your music with ZASF, great stuff :)
Thank YOU! ZASF is an amazing synth, and Apple has been the go-to computer for musicians for decades. Even though I am a dyed-in-the-wool PC guy, I have always thought it a shame that the Mac version of ZASF died, and I am very glad you have revived it.
You mentioned VST - are there VST hosts for the Mac? I thought that was just a PC thing :?

ZASF was my only synth on Linux for ages, the one software I missed and tried to install on OS X when I switched, to no avail. The a few days ago I found that discussion and made a formula. I'm an happy man now :)

Honestly it has some glitches here and there, but it runs fine to not be a port. Yes, it's a pity there's no official port that uses Core Audio and all, but I reckon that must be very time consuming for a small team.

Regarding VST I don't really understand what it takes, I just thought it was possible, that's why I asked.
aa

anerandros wrote:Yes, it's a pity there's no official port that uses Core Audio and all, but I reckon that must be very time consuming for a small team.
If you want Core Audio support it should be easy enough.
The IO system is built s.t. drivers can be swapped out fairly easily as long as you can get them to fit the basic mold of what is needed.
I'm not going to implement it at any point because I don't have a mac, but I have no problem if it is in the official version as long as it is tested by someone.

So I know exactly zero about how macs work, and the first comment I got back after sending this link out was "Seems a bit over my head - but I can't wait to have it running on my mac" (This coming from a lady who used to patch her ARP 2500 in real time on stage :? )
Would it be possible to post an already-built executable for the less-technically-inclined musicians (or is there one already in the repository)? Does the existing build work well enough to not scare people off?
Thanks!

@fundamental "Core Audio and all" (e.g.: +cocoa +universal) should really be part of a proper Mac version/port. I thank you for putting the option on the table and if I'll have time I might test it.

@ishkabbible brew doesn't offer pre built binaries unless for huge project that would require ages to compile. I do not offer one in my repo either, basically I do not want to and perhaps it's not accepted by homebrew either. ZASF works very fine but minor glitches here and there. (e.g.: knob twisting is funny).
aa

compiled. How can I make it make sound?

set PA as audio.
aa

This topic is of great interest to me as I'm working on the LMMS DAW build for Apple. In our case, we bundle Zyn within our software as a native synth so it would not be a standalone plugin like most musicians are hoping for.

We do get sound but some LMMS-specific code seems to be causing a deadlock with the GUI portion on Apple only.

I've personally been using MacPorts (many port files/patches were already done by the MacPorts community prior to my involvement) but regardless of the package manager we will hit the same compiler issues and we're pushing our changes upstream where we can so we've removed the need for diffs or patches at least in our codebase. (And other 3rd party projects as well, for example https://github.com/swh/ladspa now compiles on Apple).

So any further progress with this synth on Apple is of great interest to our project! :)

I just wanted to introduce myself to this thread. Here's an LMMS demo track composed almost exclusively with the ZynAddSubFX instrument plugin, but being played back on Apple (a huge milestone for our project):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWPfIIaAHQg

-Tres

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”