FLTK Artifacts

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I'm emailing on behalf of the LMMS project and we're updating to the latest Zyn for our upcoming stable-1.1 release.

One of the unresolved issues we are encountering seems to be some miscellaneous painting/drawing/refresh issues, especially with the slider controls in the UI.

Based on this article is this issue related to the way the FLTK boxtype is provided?
Steve Underwood wrote:If you adjust the ones without boxes the knob smears across the slider, rather than being erased and redrawn.
Ian MacARthur wrote:Basically, what it comes down to is if you do not set a boxtype for a widget, it is your responsibility to ensure its background is consistently updated. Once upon a time, this was a performance issue (though that time may be past now...)

You can see a similar effect in the test/minimum demo, for example, where it is the documented behaviour...

Basically, you need to ensure the widget background is redrawn. The "easy" way to do that is to ensure the widget always has a boxtype, even if only a "flat" box. Using "No Box" is very much a special case and to be avoided unless you want to do the extra work of fixing the background yourself.
FYI - We use Zyn as a plugin and we compile and embed it into the application.

(Note, Win32 screenshots are for example only as this occurs on *nix too)
Image . Image

Update: Got it. Should I issue a patch for this?

Code: Select all

cd {zyn_src}/UI
sed -i 's/NO_BOX/FLAT_BOX/g' *.fl

Here's the pull request:
https://github.com/LMMS/zynaddsubfx/pull/2/files

Once its accepted into our branch we'd be happy to provide it upstream but I'm interested in some feedback since I haven't had the time to test this against NTK.

-Tres

I can not confirm that this occurs under X11. I have
just tried this with both fltk 1.3.2 and NTK git and no
slider smearing occurs for me. I can produce a video demo if necessary, but this is not happening here. I have never seen this, and I've not touched the box types in any patches I've made.

I should mention that I'm using the standalone version under Linux with Xorg 1.14 server.

I should mention that I'm using the standalone version under Linux with Xorg 1.14 server.

Also, you seem to be developing with a git version of ZASFX which represents a half way point towards 2.4.4. There were a number of features and fixes since this point.

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”