ZynAddSubFX 3.0.0 / Usability Survey

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd wrote: OK I tried that but it just gives options for Jack, PA (don't know what that is) or Null - nothing for Core audio
PA = Port Audio which will work directly with core audio
aMUSEd wrote:Midi settings also only give me Jack or Null - no core midi either. It plays a sound when I mouse on keys but doesn't respond to midi
Unfortunately that's entirely accurate, there is no core midi support.
This may end up being one of the 3.0.x features targeted if I manage to get access to some physical hardware.
aMUSEd wrote:(plus comes with a bunch of weird files in the 'VST' folder that I have no idea what to do with but they aren't VSTs).
So, the members of the zyn dev team who worked on the 2.5.x osx port did get the VST and LV2 versions working for OSX, but they didn't have time to finish off the packaging needed to use either. If there's a VST folder, then I'm guessing that you're seeing the partially packaged VST or LV2 version.
aMUSEd wrote:btw how do you give it that nice dark skin from the screenshots?
That variant is based off the work of the developer of the non-* suite of applications ( http://non.tuxfamily.org/ ). He produced a fork of fltk which is what the old UI uses called ntk. Ntk uses this darker theme and it reduces a significant amount of aliasing seen in the fltk UI. Unfortunately, ntk has several portability issues which have restricted it to mostly just linux so far.
One of the developers on the ZynAddSubFX open source synth
The author of the Zyn-Fusion UI for ZynAddSubFX

fundamental wrote:
aMUSEd wrote: OK I tried that but it just gives options for Jack, PA (don't know what that is) or Null - nothing for Core audio
PA = Port Audio which will work directly with core audio
aMUSEd wrote:Midi settings also only give me Jack or Null - no core midi either. It plays a sound when I mouse on keys but doesn't respond to midi
Unfortunately that's entirely accurate, there is no core midi support.
This may end up being one of the 3.0.x features targeted if I manage to get access to some physical hardware.
aMUSEd wrote:(plus comes with a bunch of weird files in the 'VST' folder that I have no idea what to do with but they aren't VSTs).
So, the members of the zyn dev team who worked on the 2.5.x osx port did get the VST and LV2 versions working for OSX, but they didn't have time to finish off the packaging needed to use either. If there's a VST folder, then I'm guessing that you're seeing the partially packaged VST or LV2 version.
It's full of .dylib files - not sure what to do with them. Pity about the midi - so effectively it does need Jack, no way would I try and play this with a mouse.

Not sure if this is a bug or not. I have noticed (Windows VST) that whenever you open up a drop-down menu on the gui, the first selection is highlighted in a lighter shade of blue. The highlight does not move if you mouse over the other selections, however. It feels like, intuitively, it should (so you can better know which option you're selecting). I can also open up another drop-down menu at the same time I have one open, and the previous one does not close. They can overlap if you open one that is above another.
Last edited by AJYoung on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

Actually, I've noticed another issue with drop-down menus. I can select an option near the bottom of the menu list by clicking ABOVE the open menu, equal to the distance away the option is from the bottom. These issues are happening both in FL Studio & Reaper.

Interesting. I'll have to see if this is a windows issue, or a vst specific issue.

For the record this is the behavior I observe on my system:

- Highlighting doesn't follow the cursor if the menu was opened via a tap
- click-and-drag highlights fully
- clicking off the menu after a click-and-drag or a tap results in the menu getting canceled

Alright, so my behavior is similar. Click-and-drag highlights fully. Tapping to open does not. Before, I was only tapping to open. It didn't honestly occur to me to click-and-drag, and I'm not sure it will to most users. If there's a way to implement the highlighting when the menu is opened via a tap, I think that would be more intuitive and look professional.

Clicking off-menu cancels the menu, except when I click off ABOVE the menu. It will select one of the bottom options, like I described before.

I've also noticed something odd going on in the Voice List tab. If you turn voices on/off by clicking the number of the voice (next to the small waveform), the power button at the top left will turn on/off sometimes, even if the "VCE #" chosen is not the voice you're turning on/off. Haven't found a definite pattern yet, but I play with it for a few seconds and it's easily apparent.

AJYoung wrote:Alright, so my behavior is similar.
Excellent. I love issues that work the same on my machine.
I've documented these issues and they should be fixed relatively soon.

Per the Voice List Enable glitch: I've found and fixed it locally (multiple enable parameters were getting bound to the top left power button).

Thanks for the finds :)

EDIT: The bugs are all now fixed on my local copy

Summary of yet founded bugs or issues (vst under windows 7/64 – Reaper):

- On existing projects with “old zyn” tracks : when ZYN3 is loaded instead of the old zyn, the settings are not recognized (ZYN3 always opens with default sinewave loaded)
- To open both Zyn (old and V3) in an instance, the old dll must be renamed. It should be the new one to load properly both versions (keeping settings from the old zyn tracks and opening ZYN3 with its working GUI, and not a black screen) .
- Load Master: It should follow the windows rules (not Linux). Navigation method is a little confused (at least for windows users). Only the C:/ drive is accessible (in contrary to old zyn)
- Saving an instrument crashes Reaper
- Impossible to save an new instrument (no “save as”)
- Knobs right and left of the keyboard are not working (modulation wheel, velocity…)
- Impossible to split the midi controller (part setting)

Marginal Ray wrote:Summary of yet founded bugs or issues ...
Thanks for the bug report. I'll be working to address as many of these issues as can be fixed in a timely manner prior to the full release by which time there will be a more up-to-date demo available.

I've copied the issues to https://github.com/zynaddsubfx/zyn-fusi ... s/issues/4 and I've done some preliminary testing for a few of them already.

Another bug: win7 Reaper, copying fx parameters by clicking the little "c" crashes the host.

nineofkings wrote:Another bug: win7 Reaper, copying fx parameters by clicking the little "c" crashes the host.
That's documented at https://github.com/zynaddsubfx/zyn-fusi ... s/issues/9 . It seems to be a windows build only issue, so I'll have to address that next time I've got access to that debugging configuration.

Reaper users report bugs. What's about other DAWs ?

Marginal Ray wrote:Reaper users report bugs. What's about other DAWs ?
I've got reports from bitwig, presonus's studio one, a bunch of reaper bugs, flstudio, and I've been testing renoise somewhat heavily myself. There's a decent spread of hosts involved.

As to why there are so many more reports for reaper, I think I've narrowed that down quite a few of the crashes to a small chunk of code and I'm currently working on the fix.

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”