Help with Ubuntu Studio Install

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

Having install trouble on my main computer Ubuntu Studio Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS Release: 16.04

I downloaded the file and extracted it, followed the directions and it seems to have a problem here:

This install script:
1. Removes old ZynAddSubFX installs
2. Installs zyn-fusion to /opt/zyn-fusion/
3. Creates symbolic links in /usr to the zyn-fusion install in /opt

If you're ok with this press enter, otherwise press CTRL+C
and read the script for specifics
(I then hit enter and get this)
Cleaning Up Any Old Zyn Installs
...Zyn-Fusion data dir
...ZynAddSubFX binaries
...ZynAddSubFX banks
...ZynAddSubFX vst
...ZynAddSubFX lv2
Installing Zyn Fusion
Installing Symbolic Links
...Zyn-Fusion
...ZynAddSubFX
...Banks
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/share/zynaddsubfx/banks': No such file or directory
...vst version
...lv2 version

Thank you for supporting Zyn-Fusion
You can now use the 3.0.0 release via a LV2/VST plugin host or
by running the standalone via 'zynaddsubfx'

I am thinking the "ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/share/zynaddsubfx/banks': No such file or directory" is the issue.

I am no Linux guro so not sure what this is doing this. I did try it as root also and had the same issue.

When I try to scan for plug-in in Tracktion I get a message along the lines that Tracktion sees the plug-in but there was some problem loading (can't cut and paste the error sorry).

Thanks in advance.

Could you post a screenshot of the tracktion error? The 'failed to create symbolic link' issue would prevent banks/presets form being installed (it's going to be fixed when the next build is up), but it should not prevent the application from opening.
One of the developers on the ZynAddSubFX open source synth
The author of the Zyn-Fusion UI for ZynAddSubFX

fundamental wrote:Could you post a screenshot of the tracktion error? The 'failed to create symbolic link' issue would prevent banks/presets form being installed (it's going to be fixed when the next build is up), but it should not prevent the application from opening.
I use Ubuntu 16.04, and I'm experiencing a similar issue to the OP. Here's what happens when I try to load ZynAddSubFX in Renoise:
Renoise LOG> VstPlugs: Trying to instantiate /usr/lib/vst/ZynAddSubFX.so
Renoise LOG> VstPlugs: Instantiate FAILED (failed to open the DLL: 'libmxml.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory') !!!
Same error occurs when I try to launch the standalone version from the terminal:
zynaddsubfx: error while loading shared libraries: libmxml.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Aside from the above, just like the OP, I too had the "failed to create symbolic link" error at installation. Also, I've noticed that the standalone version doesn't have a shortcut.

Here's what happens when I try to load ZynAddSubFX in Renoise:
Per the zyn-fusion README (which should be included in the package):
zyn-fusion requires:
- ALSA
- JACK
- a recent version of liblo
- libz
- libfftw3
- libmxml
The error indicates that you don't have libmxml installed. A quick search indicates that the ubuntu package that provides libmxml is 'libmxml1'.
Also, I've noticed that the standalone version doesn't have a shortcut.
I've added this bug to the issue tracker https://github.com/zynaddsubfx/zyn-fusi ... /issues/86

fundamental wrote:The error indicates that you don't have libmxml installed. A quick search indicates that the ubuntu package that provides libmxml is 'libmxml1'.
Actually I think there were a bunch of packages that I was missing. My bad.
Apart from libmxml1, I also installed: libfftw3-3, liblo7, and libz-mingw-w64.

In any case, now ZynAddSubFX successfully launches both as standalone and vst. There seems to be a bug with the vst version: when clicking on File>Quit, it closes Renoise as well (I haven't tested it with other DAWs).

As expected, the presets didn't work in either vst or standalone, so I placed the "banks" folder in "usr/share/zynaddsubfx", and now the presets load fine in both versions.

SiG wrote: In any case, now ZynAddSubFX successfully launches both as standalone and vst. There seems to be a bug with the vst version: when clicking on File>Quit, it closes Renoise as well (I haven't tested it with other DAWs).
Thanks for reminding me about that bug. I just fixed it (~1 minute ago) and it should be in the 3.0.2rc2 release. I originally hoped for that rc to be out a week or two ago, but several other projects have their own deadlines this next week, so it looks like it's getting pushed out a bit longer, but not too long.

fundamental wrote:
SiG wrote: In any case, now ZynAddSubFX successfully launches both as standalone and vst. There seems to be a bug with the vst version: when clicking on File>Quit, it closes Renoise as well (I haven't tested it with other DAWs).
Thanks for reminding me about that bug. I just fixed it (~1 minute ago) and it should be in the 3.0.2rc2 release. I originally hoped for that rc to be out a week or two ago, but several other projects have their own deadlines this next week, so it looks like it's getting pushed out a bit longer, but not too long.
Awesome!

Hi,

I gave up on this a while back, and now that Reaper is on Linux with a .deb file install was wondering, how can I get a .deb file for Zynadd?

Note: That the .deb file in Ubuntu Studio you just click, install and go.

Thanks

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”