DVORAK layout?

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
I use a keyboard modified for the DVORAK layout, and use a DVORAK layout map on my X server. However, this makes using the virtual keyboard in ZynAddSubFX impossible.

The DVORAK layout can be seen here: http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/layout.html (http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/layout.html)

Now, the keys "ZXCVBNM,./" are one octave on the virtual keyboard, the keys "ASDFGHJKL;'" another, and the keys "QWERTYUIOP[]" yet another. Looking at the DVORAK layout above, you see where this is a problem?

(Clue for those wishing not to think: I hit Z to play a C note, then I have to hit X, six keys to the left of Z, in order to play the D note above that C, which just doesn't make sense.)

I do have a MIDI keyboard (don't laugh: a Reveal MusicStar from my childhood days) but I lost the cable and AC adaptor it came with a long time ago and need to find replacements, so until then, I've been playing by clicking keys with my mouse (which is extremely difficult...)

Hi.
I looked about Dvorak and I found extremely interesting.
So, I changed today my keyboard layout (physicaly - I removed the keys and put them to dvorak - I took some pictures :) ). I want to try it. It's a bit hard for me to hunt for keys :hihi: I will tell you my progress.
For the synth, I will do it, because since today I am a Dvorak keyboard user.
P.S. The above text took over 15 minutes to type :D :D (this is my first dvorak layout typed text) .... but I noticed that letters from the middle row are used most.

Paul

Go Paul!
it takes about a month before you get fluent again, depending on if you also have to use QWERTY.
remember to look up at the screen!! cheers!

Thanks!

For now, since I don't want to mess with hand-modified sources in Portage or compiling/installing separately, I just use xvkeybd with a modified .vkeybdrc, which.. ehh, works, but only having one octave to play with and not being able to say which is a bit of an annoyance.

(I'm gonna buy that soundcard and cable the day after Christmas, except for the off-chance that someone might buy me one as a gift.)
paulnasca wrote:So, I changed today my keyboard layout (physicaly - I removed the keys and put them to dvorak - I took some pictures :) ).
Exactly what I did over a year ago, to an old Dell keyboard from the 386/486 age. I still use that keyboard today despite the U key missing (there's just a stub in its place).
paulnasca wrote:.... but I noticed that letters from the middle row are used most.
That's by design :) all the vowels and the 5 most common consonants are all on the home row, and the keys are arranged so that the most commonly used keys are close by. It really does have a positive effect on your typing speed and accuracy :)

here is my progress:
I tried to use fluid editor to change tho layout in VirKeyboard.h, but the fluid editor complained because i tried to put in the ' character as a key, which fluid uses as syntax to wrap tho string for each key.

Next I tried vkeybd, which is nice, cause i can use the mause for modwheel etc while playing, but my vkeybdrc has problems, so could you please post yours?

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”