Remote Control and Mac

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I am new to all this so please forgive the numptie questions!

I am trying to control a hardware mixer via midi from my mac Pro. I have an Edirol UM-2 1-in, 2-out USB midi interface.

The mixer is a MOTU 7s which accepts midi controller data.

I am using Garage Band, with the MidiO audio unit plugin which allows you to output midi (it behaves like an AU software instrument, but instead of outputting audio it sends out MIDI)

I have downloaded Remote control and inserted it as an effect in the track that contains the MidiO instrument but I get no midi output from the Remote control sliders

Is there a way of making this work? I have tried every permutation of midi settings. The track outputs midi data that is being sent in from the midi interface, but it doesn't seem to be outputting the midi data from the Remote Control Au plugin. I know that Garage Band isn't supposed to output midi, butthe MidiO plug gets round this and corectly outputs incomming Midi data as well as Midi data recorded on a track. The problem seems to be that the Remote control data is not being routed in the same way?

Or, alternatively as I don't really need Remote control from within Garageband (i.e. I don't want to automate the mixers, I simply need a software controller for it as it has no front lanel controls) could I use a separate simple VSTi host with the VSTi version of Remote Control to achieve what I want rather than Garage Band. Could you suggest one?. I would like to control 2 mixers if possible. Would it be possible to have 2 instances of remote control running, each outputting to a different port on the Edirol interface? or should I stick to 1 copy of the program running and use different midi channels to control the 2 mixers?

love the software, I just need to figure out how to get it to work with my setup!

Many thanks

Robin

Hi,

thank you for your interest in our plugins. As far as I know GarageBand does not support the routing of a plugin MIDI output yet (haven't tried with the latest '09 version but I don't think it makes a difference). So you might be stuck with the second solution: using another host for MIDI output control.

Depending on the host you intend to use, it can be easy to setup two different MIDI outputs (see below). In the worst case, choosing different MIDI channels will work too.

For a very flexible solution, Plogue Bidule is a good choice but it's not free. You can also use the demo version of other hosts, such as Ableton Live. It will let you do what you need. The only limitation is that it won't let you save the projects. You can also give a try to REAPER(completely overkill for the task, but the license is cheap and the demo will work too). If you want more recommendations, I guess you might want to post in the hosts forum on this site.

Hope this helps!

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Blue Cat Audio wrote:Hi,

thank you for your interest in our plugins. As far as I know GarageBand does not support the routing of a plugin MIDI output yet (haven't tried with the latest '09 version but I don't think it makes a difference). So you might be stuck with the second solution: using another host for MIDI output control.

Depending on the host you intend to use, it can be easy to setup two different MIDI outputs (see below). In the worst case, choosing different MIDI channels will work too.

For a very flexible solution, Plogue Bidule (http://www.plogue.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=35) is a good choice but it's not free. You can also use the demo version of other hosts, such as Ableton Live. It will let you do what you need. The only limitation is that it won't let you save the projects. You can also give a try to REAPER(completely overkill for the task, but the license is cheap and the demo will work too). If you want more recommendations, I guess you might want to post in the hosts forum on this site.

Hope this helps!
Thanks, Bidule works well. It is also a fantastic flexible peice of software that I think I should have anyway for routing everything. So I will purchase the full versions of Bidule and Remote control and start setting it all up!

thanks for a great piece of software.

One more question if I may. Is there any simple way of renaming the controllers on the exisiting skins rather than creating a whole new skin from scratch for remote control?

thanks

Robin

Hi,

the current skins do not let you customize the controllers names without changing their source (it will be probably added in a future release though). You can however simply duplicate the skin file you want to modify and quickly find/replace the controllers names using any text file editor.

If you have a clear idea of what you need we can probably help you make the changes.

Thanks, I have read the manual and I think I get the idea. I simply want to replace the controller names C1, C2, C3, etc with more descriptive titles such as DX7, Piano, Guitar that sort of thing. I cannot seem to find which bit of the skin to modify in order to do this. Also as I am using a Mac, how do I actually access the part of the skin that I need to modify as the whole thing is contained within either a VST or AU package?

Many thanks again.

Robin

Sorry, I should have tried harder. I've worked it all out!

I will post the skin when I have finished it

thanks

Robin

Great!

yes sorry for that, we will probably add a tutorial or a few lines in the manual for Mac users. The skins are indeed hidden within the package. I'd be glad to see the result of your efforts!

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”