DPM problem

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm using Cubase 5. I'm trying to extract the automation output for peak value of the DPM. So I open an automation track and enable Write automation.
The envelope of the peak value gets recorded (and that is fine) but the problem is that it is unusable in the resolution it gets recorded. I mean the time resolution NOT THE VERTICAL. To explain it better, from one automation point to the next one the time is almost 100ms. I can visually verify that while the outputed peak value automation has some relation to the actual wave, because of the very low time resolution (100ms) fails to properlly follow the wave. For example within the 100ms span a really big peak that exists on the wave, doesnt get recorded and instead you get a flat line as if there was not a peak at all.

So my question is.
Is there a way to increase the Time resolution of the output automation so that it can be usefull?

Ps. I think that the timing resolution doesnt depend on midi ticks etc. I tryed to incres that but the result was the same.

Thanks.

Hi,

one way to improve the resolution of the output automation curve is to reduce latency in your host application. The host application is usually not able to create more than one automation record per audio buffer. So you need to decrease the size of this buffer in Cubase if you want more precise results.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Blue Cat Audio on Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sorry to say but NO. It doesnt help.
There is absolutelly no difference with latency down to 2.625 ms, and buffer size of 64 samples.
If it is like you say then it sould be that for every 64 samples I get one automation point. Instead, the DPM gives 1 point for every 5100 points.
Thats a big difference.
Im wondering now, How can it be that the implementation of your plugin is so much different from what you think it is, because I think that from 64 to 5100 is a very long way. Actually it is the distance between a plugin that does what is supposed to do and one that it pretends it can do it.
Sorry to be so caustic but you have to realize that you have to be honest with consumers.
Did you try the solution you suggest yourself?
And since you start your responce saying; one way to improve.... etc, Can you please give ANOTHER way to improve the resolution of the output automation since that one doesnt work?

Awaiting your reply

Here is the way the software actually works: it computes the peak envelope in real time, and proposes an output parameter value to the host at a fixed sample rate (20 Hz if I remember well for the Digital Peak Meter). It also does some special processing to make sure that max peak values are not lost.

This means that you should be able to get values every 50 ms in the best conditions (buffer size small enough). It is enough for many applications. The very first version of the software used to output data faster, but most host applications (and especially Cubase) could not handle so much data, hence the limitation.

Please note that the Digital Peak Meter is free software which has been discontinued, so it won't be modified in the future. It is provided as is for free.

For the other plugins that let you create MIDI and automation from the audio signal (Digital Peak Meter Pro, FreqAnalyst Pro, StereoScope Pro), we intend to provide a way to customize this output rate for both automation and MIDI in case you would want it different from the default setting.

Ok, so if I understand well the maximum resolution with DPM and with DPM Pro is arround 50ms, but it will get better in the future for the pro version.
Ok this is some good news even though for right now doesnt make any difference.
One thing I find strange is what you say about cubase's inabillity to handle so much data. I can input values in 1/4 of a milisecond resolution and cubase handles it very fine. Try it for your self and you'll see what I mean.
I seriously think you sould consider maximizing the resolution of the output automation, especially with DPM pro Because "Peak" means exactly that; Sample accurate automation.
I salute your intention to provide a way to customize the output rate
This will make your DPM pro a real pro.

Thanx.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”