Possible to use BCA Remote Control as a VST in Sonar (instead of DX)?

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would like to use Novation's AutoMap to control BCA Remote Control (and AutoMap doesn't work with DX), but Sonar's option to select Allow MIDI Output isn't enabled for the vst version of Remote Control (even after I configure Remote Control as a synth in Sonar).

So, is it even possible to use the vst version of Remote Control with Sonar (and enable MIDI output)? Note: I'm using the latest 8.53 version of Sonar Producer Edition.

There is still no way to reuse the MIDI output of a VSTi in Sonar, but depending on what you use the Remote Control output for, there are other ways to configure it (we are about to write a tutorial about this alternative): you can connect the output parameters of the Remote control plug-in to other plugins parameters using groups. It is even possible to control track parameters this way.

If what you are looking for is to use the MIDI output of the remote control to control some external hardware, what you could do is use the VST version with automap, and then connect the output parameters of this instance to another Remote control instance (but DXi this time) that would translate the whole thing into MIDI. It's a bit more work but that should do the trick.

Does that make sense to you? What is your scenario? We can send you screenshots if you can't wait a few days for our complete tutorial about groups.

[edit: Meant to send this as a PM, not a post.]

Thanks for the reply! I use Jamstix versions 2 and 3 (vst) in Sonar, and it lets me select the Sonar "Enable MIDI Output" from the Sonar synth rack (I use Jamstix's drum intelligence to drive Superior Drummer 2 via Jamstix's MIDI output) -- so I was hoping the Remote Control vst would work the same.

And I want to use Remote Control to control other vst's (Stradivari Solo Violin, Gofriller Cello, EWQLSO, etc.) -- not external hardware.

But don't worry about sending screenshots (but thanks for the offer!) -- I'm re-organizing my "room", so I can wait for the tutorial.

Thanks again for the quick -- and detailed -- response!

Finally, as an aside, it would be GREAT if you would ever consider adding MIDI features like "MIDI Solutions" "Event Processor" hardware box can accomplish. If those features could be moved from hardware to some sort of plugin, I would buy it right away!

We have done a few more tests, and it appears that Sonar will enable this option ("Enable MIDI Output") for synths only. Our plug-ins are MIDI-enabled audio effects, and even if you force them as synths in Sonar they still do not have this option available.

We would be happy to change our plug-ins to be synths, but it will be very confusing for users not to find these plug-ins in the effects category. It's a pity that Sonar has this limitation (it works fine in all other hosts) :(. We need to think a bit more about a proper way to fix it.

We'll get back to you with our tutorial showing the other method anyway!

No problem -- it's not a super-high priority for me. Just something I was hoping was possible. So don't go through any special efforts on this.

Well, that's a good catch anyway. We'll try to have it fixed by Cakewalk first and if it's not possible, we'll try to find a reasonable way of bypassing this issue...

It looks like someone has found a way to fix the problem (MIDI output cannot be enabled for VST plug-ins in Sonar). See this post on the Cakewalk forum:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?high= ... =1#2121750

It took us a while, but the tutorial to connect plug-ins using groups is now available on our website:

Connect Plug-ins Parameters Using Sonar's Grouping Capabilities

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”