Blue Cat FreqAnalyst (Mono) v2.02 Causing 6dB Gain in Audio Output

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

When I include the BCA FreqAnalyst (Mono) in the audio effects chain, my audio is suddenly boosted by 6dB. Even if FreqAnalyst is by-passed, or not active, the 6dB gain is still there.

If I remove FreqAnalyst from the effects chain, the 6dB gain goes away and everything is back to normal.

Is there a built-in gain control with this plug-in that I am not seeing? I don't think this plug-in is supposed to be doing this, but maybe I am misunderstanding something.

I am using:
Windows 8
Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 12
Blue Cat FreqAnalyst (Mono) v2.02 (free version)

Thank you!
Jay

Hi Jay,

The plug-in does not modify the signal in any way. But I guess you are probably using the plug-in on a stereo track, and vegas automatically sums both channels, hence the 6 dB gain.

If that's the case, then you should use the stereo version of the plug-in instead, so that both left and right channels are passed into the plug-in without any modification by the host.

Hope this helps!

Hello,

Thank you for the response.

The waveform is a mono waveform, not stereo.

However, I did try the FreqAnalyst STEREO plug-in, even though the waveform is MONO, and the 6dB gain was no longer there.

I did some additional testing based on your response. I tested with ALL combinations of the following:
- MONO and STEREO waveforms
- FreqAnalyst MONO (32-bit) and FreqAnalyst STEREO (32-bit)
- Vegas 32-BIT and Vegas 64-bit

In each case, no matter which combination I used, there was a 6 dB gain when using the FreqAnalyst MONO version, and there was not a 6 dB gain with the FreqAnalyst STEREO version.

For my purpose, I was only trying to isolate some frequencies in the audio signal. So whether I use the FreqAnalyst MONO or STEREO, I guess it really doesn't matter. I will just use the FreqAnalyst STEREO version, even though the waveform is a MONO waveform.

I wouldn't have considered using the FreqAnalyst STEREO version (on a MONO waveform) if you had not responded. So, thank you!

Jay

I haven't used Vegas for a while, but it is probable that even with mono waveforms it processes the signal as a stereo mix anyway, hence this strange behavior.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”