Patchwork - gain structure question/request

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'll be the first to say congratulations on another great plugin.

Ok, unless i'm doing something wrong in PT11 there is some sort of gain compensation on the parallel chains ? Presumably to stop overloading.

I have a reverb, a chorus and a delay each on their own parallel channels, no pre and no post, no gain. I send a vocal on an send to the patchwork channel and set the Patchwork to 100% wet. Now if I set this up in PT11 as 3 seperate aux outputs fed with same input by muting off for example the reverb, there would be no gain change on the other plugins, there just would be no reverb, correct? On Patchwork if I turn off the reverb the other two channels get louder, so I can't do a direct A/B comparison as to what it's like with and without the reverb as the volume jump makes this not clear.

Is this correct behaviour? Can we have an option not to have it do this? please...!

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in our plug-in. There is indeed a gain compensation so that adding effect chains actually does not make it louder (this is post-chains, so it does not affect dynamics processing plug-ins).

It's indeed a tradeoff and a matter of taste: you may be used to the classic aux bus behavior, but when you disable your reverb bus, there is actually a volume drop, whereas in the case of the PatchWork plug-in the volume should be closer.

We thought about adding an option to remove it, but there was no such request during the beta period... But maybe we' ll add it in the future!

Yes please, consider this a request for the feature! One of the reasons we bought this plugin was because you've been great at incorporating user feedback (quickly) into the Mixer v2, one of my requests on the DUC was met with a revision so happy you're good listeners and a good company.

As it is the level compensation makes sense for the casual user and helps keep levels under control, however the more "pro" with experience of controlling their gain structure might find it a little unusual. The first thing I thought of doing when I saw the flash advert for patchwork was having all my vocal reverbs, delay and fx options there in a preset patchwork and easily a/b between many variations, a huge timesaver but with the level compensation as it is it doesn't quite work. But it's still a great plugin!

Anyone else voting for this setting?

Yes, please by all means I vote for this setting. I wasn't quite sure what was going on at first but figured maybe some limiting or compression was being added when stacking the synths, the volume on the first synth gets lowered quite a bit by adding a second synth when minimum simple eq cutting off the low end is on the post insert in 'vsti synth stack mode'.

This was one of the reasons why at first I was put off on this chainer because I couldn't figure out the reason, I managed to figured out the volume issue for the synths just now, inquired, and was routed here. So please have an off setting for this and hopefully it applies without having any effects inserted into the post slots while in 'vsti synth chainer' mode.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Blue Cat Audio wrote:Anyone else voting for this setting?
+1
Both as a Global default and as a 'just for this instance'.
ImageCakewalk/Sonar Plugin Management Tools

This should be added in the next release! The reason for this gain compensation is when you are doing parallel processing, adding new chains would just increase the overall gain, whereas what you want is add effect. But it is also true that there are many cases when this may sound confusing.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”