Blue Cat's PatchWork 1.2 Available, incl. MIDI routing

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PatchWork

We are happy to announce that Blue Cat's PatchWork 1.2 is now available. This new release mainly adds internal MIDI routing capabilities and mono to stereo processing, and the same enhancements as Blue Cat's MB-7 Mixer 2.2.

You can now route MIDI events between sub plug-ins (and the host) and build your own MIDI chains inside the plug-in!

As usual, existing customers can download the updated version from the same page as the original full version.

New Features:
- MIDI Routing: custom MIDI routes can be created to connect plug-ins together and with the host application to send and receive MIDI.
- Plug-in instance Renaming: it is now possible to give a name to each instances of a plug-in.
- Mono to stereo processing: the plug-in can now be used as a mono to stereo plug-in and process mono tracks with stereo effects in hosts that support it.
Improvements:
- Improved performance of undo tracking when loading presets for plug-ins with many parameters.
- The "Parameters Map" menu item is now checked when a parameter is mapped.
Improved performance when changing the size of the plug-in user interface.
Fixes and compatibility improvements:
- Fixed keyboard stealing issue in many host applications when sub plug-ins editors are opened (except 32-bit applications on Mac).
- Fixed compatibility issue with Pro Tools 9 on Mac (random crashes).
- Fixing crashes with some plug-ins requesting information while being opened.

:tu:
Installed the update and tried the three VSTs I had load errors with before (AAS; VS1 & both Strums).
All works great now!

Thanks!

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up!

I was one who requested midi routing and you added it! Sold!!! I just bought it and will post about it in the Maschine forum, where this will be helpful. Thanks.

:tu:

I downloaded the demo (Mac AU) and it's still version 1.1.

One question: Will it be possible to use the Midi output of a VST (e.g. a sequencer like Kirnu Cream) in another VST inside the host? This would push me over the edge to buy it, because Logic Pro is very limited in that regard.

Thanks for the heads up. For some reason it indeed seems that Mac demo versions are still 1.1 on our website. We are currently fixing it, and the latest version should be available shortly for you to test.

The idea is that you can use the output from on VST and route it to the input of another one inside Blue Cat's Patchwork, and it should work whatever the host application.

If your host supports it, it is even possible to route the output of a VST located inside PatchWork to any plug-in in the host application (outside of our plug-in), but this is currently not supported by Logic I think, as you noticed it.

The demo versions for Mac on our website should now be up to date! We apologize for the inconvenience.

...aaand: bought!

Although the setup is a bit fiddly, this thing is incredible! It opens up a whole new world for Logic Pro users. E.G. I can use midi generating Reaktor ensembles now.

It would have been worth the price without the midi stuff, but with it it's a killer app.

One bug I came across: Sometimes when I do a preset change on a midi sending VST, the midi receiving VST is also changing its preset. Is there a way to prevent that?

...and sometimes a played note hangs. The only thing to reset it, is to change the port. So a midi reset feature would be nice.

Although the setup is a bit fiddly
What do you mean?
Sometimes when I do a preset change on a midi sending VST, the midi receiving VST is also changing its preset. Is there a way to prevent that?
How do you change the preset on this VST? Also, which one is it? Maybe it is just sending MIDI program change messages to the other one?
...and sometimes a played note hangs. The only thing to reset it, is to change the port. So a midi reset feature would be nice.
It may indeed happen when the source VST does not send the corresponding Note Off message. We will probably add a reset button to send not offs to all plug-ins to avoid that!

Blue Cat Audio wrote:
Although the setup is a bit fiddly
What do you mean?
I'm missing some visual representation of the midi routing. Now you always have to check at least two drop downs to see that. Would be even nicer if I could connect two VSTs directly from the GUI, but that's not too important...
Blue Cat Audio wrote:
Sometimes when I do a preset change on a midi sending VST, the midi receiving VST is also changing its preset. Is there a way to prevent that?
How do you change the preset on this VST? Also, which one is it? Maybe it is just sending MIDI program change messages to the other one?
It was a Reaktor ensemble (VSS2) http://www.native-instruments.com/de/co ... show/7749/

I'm pretty sure the error is on that side, because so far it happened only with this sequencer, but maybe you could add an option to filter program changes (and maybe other unwanted midi messages)...

Otherwise: Great plug-in! It's a real game changer for Logic Pro (not just the midi part). I'm only surprised that nobody made something like this before...

Another feature request: VST3 support and/or AU support would be nice. I'm asking, because one of my favorites synths (Z3ta+ 2) only comes in those flavours...

About visual feedback for MIDI routing: yes, we are thinking about a way to provide some more feedback once routing has been made. For the moment a good practice to keep track of your internal routing is to give the plug-ins an appropriate name (for example with the MIDI port it is using as input or output).

To do this, just click on the plug-in slot and select "rename".

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”