Blue Cat's PatchWork 1.3 Ready, With Audio Units Hosting

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PatchWork

Blue Cat Audio wrote:There is currently nothing particular implemented regarding offline rendering, as not all hosts actually send such information (and this is not available in most plug-in formats either).

Do you know any plug-in that does not use the same settings for offline rendering? I think some plug-ins offer quality options but I don't think they are activated automatically when bouncing a track, are they?
Not sure - it's just something that came up in another (unnecessarily heated) thread with a user complaining that Reaper offered it as an option and that it wasn't set to default. I'm unsure how many hosts actually have this function but maybe more do than don't. As for plugins - I know of quite a few that have separate levels of oversampling for playing/online renders/freezes and offline rendering, these include all the D-Cam synths, ImageLine synths, Kontakt, several U-he synths, those are just off the top of my head. I would have thought that they must be activated automatically when they detect the host is doing an offline render, how else could they work?
Last edited by aMUSEd on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Cat Audio wrote:Do you know any plug-in that does not use the same settings for offline rendering? I think some plug-ins offer quality options but I don't think they are activated automatically when bouncing a track, are they?
Yes, some plugins do that.
I can't remember which one right now, but afair Sknote and Voxengo comes to mind (?)

We'll investigate what can be done in this regard, but I am afraid this may only work with VSTs hosted inside a VST host...

Blue Cat Audio wrote:
djb123 wrote: 1. Multiple Outputs
2. The ability to give proper names to mapped parameters. Editing the automation of something called "Control 1, control 2..." and having to go back and check what it actually is you are editing is a drag.
Please avoid cross-posting if you can...

About the features requests:
1. This is indeed possible and may happen in the future.
2. Unfortunately it is currently not possible to change names at runtime. This is probably a feature request for Pro Tools first :-)
Here's a thought: What if there were an option to re-save the entire plugin--not a preset of the plugin, but another version of the whole plugin created in the VST or AU or AAX plugin folder--that has customized names for the plugin itself and customized names for all the mapped parameters in that custom version of the plug in. You could call it a "meta-preset". We could create plugin chains we use all the time, map and name the parameters we know we most want to automate, give the whole thing a custom name, and save the whole thing as a custom version of the plugin that we could call up in our DAWs and we would have everything the way we want it.

That's an idea. A bit awkward to use, but it could indeed solve the issue.

I think it would less awkward, actually. You would call up a custom plug-in from your plug in menu, it could have a descriptive name and all the parameters you want to tweak and automate would already be assigned and named. You would just have to make however many "meta-presets" you need for the most common plugin chains you use. Also, when you look at a channel and see what plugins are on it, you would see something more descriptive than "BCPtchWk" which doesn't tell me anything about what type of processing is going on there. I would make "meta presets" with names like LVOX_1 which might contain an often used combination of comp, eq, de-esser for lead vocals. When I glanced at that channel I would know what was on it and all the parameters would be ready for me to tweak and automate and I would know what they were by just looking at the automation without having to go back and check on my Patchworks assignments to see what "control 1..." is.

Of course, every "meta preset" would have to be individually recognized by the host as a separate plugin. It would be well worth the effort, though, to have that level of customization available.

Unfortunately, what you describe here is what is actually explicitly not accepted by AVID: that would make our plug-in a wrapper that makes the host believe the wrapped plug-ins are actual AAX plug-ins.

The custom "meta presets" would just be additional copies of patchworks, with custom names, and custom mapped parameter names--to get around the inability to change parameter names at runtime. They would still be instances of Patchworks hosting AUs and VSTs. I don't see how giving the mapped parameters customized names changes a hosting plugin into a wrapper.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”