Patchwork (app): a few questions about routing

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
I need to check if I can use Patchwork as my main audio environment, which is based on some important requirements.
Here are some things related to audio routing and control that I need to check whether are possible with Patchwork:
-I have three inputs, they want to have a separate gain controlled via midi. Can it be done ?
-These inputs have to be routed to their specific Vsts ( let's call it first level processing chain, acts like an insert) and then converge to the same 2 parallel Vst chains ( let's call them second level processing chains, they act like aux sends which returns come back as via a channel input).
-The output of these 2 Vst chains has to be split so to offer its output to a Vst for looping AND to Patchwork's main physical outputs.
-The looper's output have to be processed through a Vst before being sent out to a physical output which has to be different from Patchwork's main physical output.

About control:
-Can I recall each single Vst preset separately ? I see the "PARAMS MAP" doesn't show the preset number. I don't want to use Patchwork's presets.
-Can I use several midi controllers for the same parameters without using external midi applications ( Midi OX or similar) to collapse them ?

Thank you for your time.
My best,
Luca

PatchWork has not been initially designed for such complex I/O routing in the first place, but it is still possible to achieve quite complex I/O routings using multiple plug-ins with specific I/O mapping for each.
- for the three inputs, you can add three mono gain plug-ins in series, each one assigned to a specific channel. Each gain plug-in can be controlled by MIDI (use the free Blue Cat's Gain Suite plug-ins for example).
- I am not exactly sure what you mean for the send/return here, but once the gains have been processed separately, all three channels are available to plug-ins down in the chain. And you can select which channels every plug-in processes, so it should let you do anything you want. For summing, you can use the Plug'n Script plug-in to sum several channels together to a single output.
- for output "splitting" it can also be achieved in a similar way: add the VST after the looper plug-in to a post slot, and select the appropriate channels for its inputs (let's say 1 and 2), but select other channels for its outputs (3 and 4 for example). After the plug-in, ch1 and ch2 will remain unchanged whereas ch3 and 4 will contain the output of the Vst.

About Control:
- PatchWork does not load sub plug-ins presets separately using MIDI, only its own presets.
- If all your controllers are configured to use the same MIDI CC number I guess you can use them all to control the same parameter. PatchWork will listen to all MIDI input ports, so it should receive all MIDI messages.

Hope this helps!

thank you so much for such a clear explanation.
I think this is a really interesting and well done application.

my best,
Luca

:)

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”