Frequency scale

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Why are the freq scales on the Analysis Pack plugins not a standard log scale? It looks like the major graduations are an octave apart but not exactly. I find this hard to work with considering every other freq scale out there is log. maybe there is some kind of leading edge thing BC is doing with their scales and I am just missing it... that's what I hope. otherwise it would be preferable to have a regular usual log scale... possible? or can you explain why the BC scales are as they are?

Hi,

the scale of the graph is actually true log. I guess you are talking about the graduations only, which are linearly spaced. The initial reason for this is that it is closer to what the ear understands: log-style graduations (1, 10, 100, 1000...) tend to defeat the purpose of the log-scale plot, as they are actually linear, so you tend to focus on the linear scale of frequencies instead of the log scale.

Anyway, maybe we'll add options in the future to display different types of graduations.

I am still having trouble wrapping my head around it. I *think* it makes sense. The actual data is plotted log but the graduations are linear. so you are saying log is how my brain thinks my ears hear it but the linear scale is how my eyes tell my brain how to think about frequencies? this is where my brain shuts off and why I was asking for log grads - it makes more sense. I think I see what you are getting at though - trying to create a visual bridge between how we ear and what we think we hear. i think... for example, with spectrographs I tend to use them with 3dB of slope so that it visually corresponds closer to how we hear sound, not what it looks like as data. but I am still not getting the linear scale to log data correspondence as a visual tool yet.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”