Idle CPU usage in Late Replies

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Late Replies page states the plugin has "No CPU load on idle: when the plug-in is fed with silence, the processing smoothly shuts down, to optimize the CPU usage of your Digital Audio Workstation." However, when the Late Replies demo is idle (to be sure I tested when it was newly loaded - nothing fed into it yet), one instance uses 5-6% CPU on my relatively beefy gaming laptop (i7-6700HQ processor). Is this expected, or is it a bug? If I were using Late Replies multiple times in a large project it would definitely be nice to have the idle CPU usage be closer to 0 or 1% to avoid having to bounce tracks.

System Details:
DAW: Studio One Pro v3 and FL Studio 12.5 (Both DAWs show comparable CPU performance)

We'll have to double check, but it could be because of the length of the "tail" due to the loaded preset: Late Replies will stop processing only when reaching the end of the tail, which can be pretty long when using the feedback loops.

Great, thanks for taking a look. Like I said, I tried to avoid the tail issue by looking at CPU usage right after the plugin is loaded (and before any audio has been fed into it). This also happens with all presets, including the default one.

I know you've been busy with NAMM, but have you had a chance to try to reproduce this yet? I bought it anyways because it's cool enough that it's worth the CPU hit, but I'd still love to see the advertised idle behavior if possible.

FWIW, I tested this on my system: desktop with a 4770k processor and 16gb of RAM. Windows 10 x64. I decided to use the latest version of Patchwork for a host.

The newest preview version of the Patchwork (2.2) standalone app fluctuates between 0.2 - 2% CPU usage with no plugins loaded.

Using the newest preview version of Late Replies VST (1.1), I loaded up the Long Tail Verb preset. The CPU usage then moved up to about 2-3% with no audio going through. With the Default preset, it drops down to a range of about 0.8 - 2%.

So as Blue Cat stated, it seems the length of the feedback loops has an impact.

Thanks for doing that test, I appreciate it! I actually just decided to try the Patchwork demo to see what the idle CPU usage of a different Blue Cat plugin was. For me, Patchwork with no plugins hovers around 0-1%. Late Replies is 5% with the default patch (as stated before, I didn't send any audio to the plugin to avoid trailing tails from eating CPU).

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”