Creating Marshall JCM800 w/ Axiom - help

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’m trying to get in the ballpark of a Marshall JCM800. I scanned through the presets and didn’t see anything jump out as a Marshall JCM800, which is kind of shocking given its popularity - even amp sims that come with DAWs like Logic have their version of this sound. I’m guessing there is one somewhere in Axiom but I just cant find it. Must admit I find the preset names to be a bit confusing.

Anyway I thought I would build my own, so I opened the editor on the amp section which brought up Destructor. I went through the preamp components and quickly found the Brit 800. In the post filter found the Brit 800 again very quickly. However with the Destruction section, I cant find any Brit 800, or for that matter anything that had a hint that it was the tube overdrive channel of a Marshall style amp.

Can someone point me in the right direction? This also leads me to wish for a new preset category called “emulations” where I could quickly browse Axiom version of popular amp styles and tones. Of course I know Axiom is much more powerful under the hood, but it would be great to have some common and well known tones as starting points. You kind of did it with “legends” category presets but again if I quickly wanted a marshall or Orange style, or a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier, or Vox AC 30, etc its not as quick to get to these sounds as it is in other products I use.

That's indeed not the philosophy of our amp simulation: you may want to start with a preset that sounds good to you and tweak it using different preamps/cabs.

For example, you can start with the Crunch/Brit 800 4x12 preset in the amp sim module, and change the post filter back to a Brit800 variant or another 4x12 style to see how it works for you. The most crucial part for the final sound is usually the post filter. And you may want to try different destruction presets from the Dist and Saturation categories to get the right feeling that works with your playing.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”