Idea for a new "stream" plugin: ASIO bridge

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sometimes I've thought it would be useful to have a virtual ASIO driver, which would stream its input and output to a VST plugin inside a "real" ASIO/VST host application. The "encapsulated" ASIO application would appear as a VST plugin in a program.

Another operation mode would be an ASIO-to-ASIO bridge, so that the virtual driver would stream the output of one ASIO application to the input of another. For instance, I could get the audio output from Sibelius's Kontakt Player or any other stand-alone program directly into Cubase's mixer.

Yet another use would be to create virtual "external device" loops for Cubase SX, or a virtual "patch cable" from an output buss to an input channel.

Or the virtual driver could report having a dozen 24-bit outputs and inputs, even though the machine is a crummy laptop with integrated AC-97 chip and nothing else. Just to run some ASIO hosts in special circumstances.

You've got the Stream Boy thing working, so this wouldn't need to be written completely from scratch. (only 95% from scratch?;))

Or is this something I should propose to the maker of the ASIO4ALL drivers?

Kitchen Sink wrote: Another operation mode would be an ASIO-to-ASIO bridge, so that the virtual driver would stream the output of one ASIO application to the input of another. For instance, I could get the audio output from Sibelius's Kontakt Player or any other stand-alone program directly into Cubase's mixer.
Emu patchmix does that..... :) great feature.

ESI has something like this called DirectWire (http://www.esi-pro.com/directwire.php).
jouni - www.markvera.net - Stardrive Studio - Orionology

Wouldn't Hubi's MIDI Cable or MIDI Yoke do what you want??

Elakhna wrote:Wouldn't Hubi's MIDI Cable or MIDI Yoke do what you want??
Uhh hello? ASIO STREAM not MIDI.. duh! You'l have the guy trying to stream SYSEX dumps with those tools..
Last edited by Lagrange on Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image Sick check this out now! Thanks for bringing this up!

oh i wanted to have my organ sound in my host maybe that could help
Organising a protest march this Friday Schlesische Strasse 28 ,10997 Berlin, Germany

It seems that DirectWire is a proprietary app for certain the ESI MaXiO series, ESP series, Juli@, 192 series(driver v.5.01 or higher) including the WaMiRack 192 X, and L and Waveterminal 192 X, L, and M. Not a standalone app. SUCKS

That DirectWIRE thing seems great - if it just wasn't tied to the ESI stuff. Though I think we would still need more than one virtual ASIO device, i.e. more of those ASIO columns in the screenshot. It think it would work best if each application had one virtual ASIO device all to itself.

Sibelius has another problem too, but it cannot be fixed with any device drivers. Namely, their MIDI timing engine has its own timing system, and it drifts away from the ASIO clock. It syncs the video player to its own position every now and then, but the drift is so large, after ten bars the clock difference can be something like a second, and then the video clip just jumps back in time. The MIDI timing calculates "delta times" between events and waits for that time before outputting the next event... So actually there is no "clock" at all.

Space Boy wrote:Virtual Audio Cable

http://nrcde.ru/music/software/eng/vac.html
too much latency

Can do this with Creamware Scope cards too.

asseca wrote:
Space Boy wrote:Virtual Audio Cable

http://nrcde.ru/music/software/eng/vac.html
too much latency
Agreed even with a small buffer..

Anyone find anything newish to accomplish this?

maybe the VB-Audio ASIO Bridge could help : www.vb-cable.com

Return to “Elevayta”