Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tools:
Cubase SX3 (novice and re-learning)
Klean Boy
Wide Boy

Goal:
Digitizing, stereoizing and apply NR-educing to old (80's & 90's) mono board-tapes from the past bands I've been in.

Problem:
Having problems with Klean Boy and want to ensure that I'm applying the effect correctly.

So far I've captured both tracks (from mono mixing-board) from cassette deck into two seperate channels, combined them into one stereo grouped channel. I've applied Wide Boy as an insert effect to the grouped-channel with great results!

Now I'm demoing Klean Boy... I'm applying it in two places--the original "left" track, and the original "right" track, prior to sending them to the group channel. My problem is that, even though I've successfully captured the "noise" in manual mode per the PDF, The tracks tend to drop out (in volume), fluxuate, and then come back in again when Klean Boy is set to enabled.

Is this the right technique, or am I doing something wrong? What would you do different? Suggestions?

I'm a little rusty in Cubase (bought it several years ago and kinda dropped it), so any dumb-details would be appreciated.

Newer System:
AMD x4 3 Ghz & 8-gig ram
Win XP Pro SP2 (for DAW - dual boot)
M-Audio Delta 66 & Omni I/O (using m-audio delta ASIO)

Hi,

Did you check the about page? It says there that the demo will blank audio output from time to time. This is what you are hearing.

You should be able to judge the quality of Klean Boy between blanks.

The full version does not blank audio (of course) :)

Space Boy wrote:Hi,

Did you check the about page? It says there that the demo will blank audio output from time to time. This is what you are hearing.

You should be able to judge the quality of Klean Boy between blanks.

The full version does not blank audio (of course) :)
Thanks. Two questions:

I. Apart from the blank-audio, does the demo-version also exhibit fluxuations during play-back. I'm getting a combination of good sound, lower-gain sounds--kind of a fluxuation back and forth.

II. Given the scenario in my original description, does this seem like an appropriate usage of the application; applying the Klean Boy NR in the insert on each of the mono tracks before hiting the group-track? Any other options I might want to consider?

Thanks!

Hi,

What I do is to process the original individual tracks first and render them as .wav files. Then I would load the "Kleaned" .wavs and carry on from there without Klean Boy in the loop.

Klean Boy is heavy on the CPU. You need to set your host (or sound card) buffer latency high to avoid playback stutter.

The low gain fluctuation may be also due to the audio blanking having taken place during the noise floor capture. It is not something I have encountered or been alerted to with the full version.

Space Boy wrote: What I do is to process the original individual tracks first and render them as .wav files. Then I would load the "Kleaned" .wavs and carry on from there without Klean Boy in the loop.
Perfect.
Space Boy wrote: The low gain fluctuation may be also due to the audio blanking having taken place during the noise floor capture. It is not something I have encountered or been alerted to with the full version.
Oh, okay. I'm sure that's what's happening; Because, since I only have a small noise-sample range, I set Cubase to cycle/loop over the noise-sample range for a few seconds during the noise floor capture.

Assuming, I can limit my sample-period to avoid the demo-dropout-during-noise-floor-capture, thereby avoiding the fluxuations, I'll purchase it.

Thank you so much!!!

Return to “Elevayta”