Crusher X and CPU

Official support for: accsone.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am wondering about how to keep cpu consumption of Crusher X under control. I just upgraded to the latest i7 quad core but the cpu count of Crusher X is still immense for some presets. I would think that decreasing the number of generators helps, but that doesn't seem to be generally true. I have presets with only 8 voices which still almost bring my cpu to its knees. Other granular tools easily generate 8 parallel voices with minimum processing time.

Can anything be said about which parameters to keep an eye on for cpu efficiency?

Hi,

The CPU consumption is related to the number of grains that are running in parallel. You can monitor the current number of grains in right top corner of the grain view. So the CPU consumption is not related to the number voices or generators. Each generator is a potential grain creator. All CPU cores are used to generate the grains.

So you have all the power of your system in your hand. To reduce the CPU load you have to ensure to reduce the number of parallel running grains. This can be done by increasing the birth time and decreasing the grain lengths.

If your patch generates a lot of grains (because of low birth values) and your grains are long (because of high length values) it has to come at a certain point to a CPU overload. The only thing we did to prevent a hang of the whole system is to reduce the grain creation if the CPU load is above around 80%.

With that approach and unlike other granular software you are able to create huge amount of grains at the same time using the whole CPU power (incl. all cores) your system provides.

accSone

Return to “accSone”