Flash Renamer - batch file rename utility

Official support for: lesproductionszvon.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Often when creating a sample library, I have to rename a large number of files. I've seen the question about a good batch file rename utility asked a few times on KVR. For this task, personally I use Flash Renamer.

I find it easy to use with a clear interface and it has a comprehensive set of features. So comprehensive that there are still many that I have not used yet.

Here's a list of the main features taken from the help file (I've numbered them):
01- Fast as lightning! Renames thousands of files in a matter of seconds.
02- Set casing to UPPER CASE, lower case or First Letter Case.
03- Rename Mp3s using their tags and properties.
04- Read data from jpeg Exif tags. Excellent for digital camera users.
05- Search and replace strings within filenames.
06- Set or clear file attributes, such as 'read only' and 'hidden'.
07- Set date & time using various sources, such as image Exif date.
08- Add or Remove strings from specified positions.
09- Add counters to files that are related, such as photo sessions.
10- Extract meta-data from media, such as width/height and duration.
11- Realtime preview shows the new filenames before you rename.
12- Works on files, folder and sub-folders.
13- Easily manage your photo collection by using the thumbnail mode.
14- Add zeros to numbers to make files sort correctly in every situation.
15- Re-order parts within filenames the way you want it.
16- Context menus allows you to quickly launch FR when you need it.

The features that are the most useful to me for renaming samples so far are 05 and 08, though I can see the use for 09 and 14 too.

Usually I originally use long and descriptive file names when I create my samples but for the release version I want to shorten them. The "Search and replace" function is very useful then. I can for instance replace "Toy_Piano_ShureSM57_close" with simply "TP" with a mouse click. At other times, I have the opposite problem, for instance set of files that are originally named "TP01_C1, TP01_C2, etc." to "TP07_C1, TP07_C2, etc." before deciding on their final names. So when I decide to rename OldClock all the TP01 files, I can do so with the search and replace function and keep all the note names intact.

At other times, I want to add a specific string, either at the beginning or at the end of a set of files and this can be easily and quickly done too. I also like the fact files can be selected with a built-in browser or simply dragged to a free select window.

Flash Renamer can also work with metadata. It does not support wav files' metadata but the following audio formats are supported: Mp3, Ogg Vorbis, Off Speex and Flac.

The trial version is fully functional and the full version costs $19.99. For more info:
http://www.rlvision.com/flashren/about.asp

zvon wrote:I've seen the question about a good batch file rename utility asked a few times on KVR. For this task, personally I use Flash Renamer.
http://www.rlvision.com/flashren/about.asp
Can you tell the program to shorten in length all selected files over 31 characters but keep some part of them and chop them to fit 31 characters, and also to not touch the files that are ok (less than 31)?

Thanx for your input.

ozmoz2008 wrote: Can you tell the program to shorten in length all selected files over 31 characters but keep some part of them and chop them to fit 31 characters, and also to not touch the files that are ok (less than 31)?

Thanx for your input.
Hi ozmoz2008,

I have not tried this personally but it seems to do it. Here's what the Help file says about a similar example:

Problem:
You have a folder full of files to burn to a CD. If the filenames are too long the CD-Burner program will shorten them to fit on the CD, so you want to make sure that all filenames are within the legal length.
Solution:
The allowed length of the filenames depends on the file-format of the CD. A common limit is 64 character. This includes the file extension. Using Flash Renamer you can easily check your filenames before burning!

Begin by unchecking "Process Extension" from the common options at the top. Next choose the "Remove" function and set it to "Remove 999 chars at Pos 60 from The Beginning of the filename".

Now something interesting happens! The preview view will begin to show only files that have names that are too long. This makes it really easy to find and correct the filenames! The best way is to work your way through the preview field, manually renaming the files. Once they disappear from the preview list, they are safe to burn!

Of course the best thing to do is to try what you specifically want to do with the trial version.

A little bump for Flash Renamer!
It's certainly very helpful today as I have to rename and number over the 3000 temp files of the Memory Collection Pack 2.
I have a folder for each film. First I sequentially number the wavs in a folder, then delete some extra info from the names and then add a letter code at the beginning of the names for each file of every film/folder.

Saves a lot of time and keystrokes!

Still very happy with it. Still saves me a lot of time.

For best batch file rename utility, I suggest to try KrojamSoft BatchRenameFiles program.

I use Bulk Rename Utility. Freeware.

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

Return to “Les Productions Zvon”