Mac plugins

Official support for: acousmodules.free.fr
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Since the runtime of SonicBirth is now free, and with the latests enhancements to SonicBirth itself, I think that there will be more AcousModules Mac versions in the next weeks :) .

Cheers,

Just to specify that the OS X AcousModules are compatible with the MacIntels :)

Thanks Jean-Marc. We've just discoverd your work and are eager to try the Mac plugins out in Nuendo and MaxMSP. Thanks again, keep up the good work!

Ean White, Technical Director
Harvard University Studio for Electroacoustic Compostion
http://huseac.fas.harvard.edu/
eanwhite@fas.harvard.edu

Thank you Ean,
I'm just sorry that there is so few versions for OS X at this time.

Perhaps we could help port some of your work? Or, help promote your work to more Mac users and get some more, well-deserved shareware fees coming in? Let's discuss this outside of the forum if you want to pursue it.

Ean

eanwhite@fas.harvard.edu
acousmod wrote:Thank you Ean,
I'm just sorry that there is so few versions for OS X at this time.

Let's discuss this outside of the forum if you want to pursue it.
I will...

Some news about the OS X versions.

Two things have occur since I have began to make some versions of the AcousModules for this system :
- Antoine Missout have stopped the development of Sonicbirth, the software I used to make them, and actually it has too much limits to allow me to make more complex plugins ;
- all the new Apple computers can now run Windows applications, either in dual boot with Bootcamp, in alternance with OS X applications with virtualization software like Parallels Desktop, or perhaps later directly in OS X with an embeded emulation like Darwine.

So I've decided to stop the adaptation of the OS X versions.
It has costed me too much money (Mac mini + Sonicbirth license), and I prefer to spend my time to compose and improve the Windows versions...

If people really want to use multichannel plugins without any limit, they can simply choose one of the previous methods.
Thus, they will have access to more than a hundred of plugins and will also benefit of powerful hosts like Podium or Reaper that have no equivalent on this system.
And make the calculation : Windows XP + Podium licences + freeware AcousModules costs a lot of less than a native DAW like Digital Performer and can do a lot of more in terms of multichannel work ! :)

For those who cannot afford yet an Intel based computer, the current versions will remain available, but will stay in the current stage.

acousmod wrote:
So I've decided to stop the adaptation of the OS X versions.
Jean-Marc,

If you are willing to send me your Sonic Birth patches, I'd be happy to port them to a MacIntel compatible development environment.

Ean

Ean,

Sorry for this extremely late answer... :(

Thanks for your proposition, but the OS X plugins are already Intel compatible.

The problem for me is that :
- I have not much time to spend on them
- Sonicbirth is no more developped so I cannot hope for improvements
- there is already about 100 Windows versions, with very powerful hosts like Podium that does not exist at all on OS X, so I suppose that doing a double boot is not so hard if people really want to use multichannel tools...

So, actually, I prefer to say that the OS X versions are frozen.
Perhaps, if Antoine Missout ends by making a new version of Sonicbirth like he has promized, new OS X versions will be available.

Honestly, I don't understand why people who use Max/Msp have not made more such plugins, for free, since a long time !
It is not so complicated...

Best regards,
Jean-Marc
Last edited by acousmod on Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hello happy macpayers !

Since Sonicbirth is now freeware, since its development is actually frozen, since I don't think that the few OS X AcousModules will evolve until a long time etc. all these version are now freewares.

All the plugins need you to install the latest Sonicbirth version (1.20r1).

Thanks to all the people who have bought the sharewares version during the last year, they have contributed to help me to pay Sonicbirth ! (it was 80 euros as early adopter...) and among all have feel me liking doing them.

I really hop that Antoine Missout will take time to develop Sonicbirth 2 and that I could make in the future great spatialization plugins for OS X too ;)

Cheers.

Thanks for this Jean-Marc. I guess there is no need for the single-channel freeware versions! Did you make any modifications to the Mac OS X plugins for SonicBirth 1.2 compatibility? Will the old, single-channel Mac plugins still work?

I happened to notice that one of the plugins on the Mac OS X page, MultiSampler16X, is not on the main plugins page <http://acousmodules.free.fr/the_plugins.htm>.

Thanks again, Ean

Did you make any modifications to the Mac OS X plugins for SonicBirth 1.2 compatibility? Will the old, single-channel Mac plugins still work?
Antoine has made some changes in the framework, so if you install Sonicbirth 1.20 you will need to download the latest versions.
Otherwise there is no changes and you can continue to use the previous ones.

Have you succeded to use them in Protools LE ?
If I remember well, you told me that you can use some auxiliary busses to connect their outputs with the FXPansion RTAS wrapper ?
I happened to notice that one of the plugins on the Mac OS X page, MultiSampler16X, is not on the main plugins page <http://acousmodules.free.fr/the_plugins.htm>.
You are right, this page is rather inaccurate. It is time to update it !
Best regards,
Jean-Marc

Yes! With the Mac OS X Acousmodules, one can do surround in Pro Tools LE--never mind what Digidesign says. Of course, compatible hardware with multiple outputs is required; it doesn't magically transform an Mbox into a surround machine. ;-) I haven't tested this with Pro Tools M-Powered, but it will probably work.

One simply has to send the Acousmodule outputs to Aux tracks and output the Aux tracks to individual outputs. I haven't tried pushing the session track count and/or plughin instantiation very high, but it works fine for simple surround work.

Perhaps i should write a tutorial?

.e

Yes, Ean, of course, it would be very nice, and I suppose useful for some users.
Thank in advance :)

acousmod wrote:
Yes, Ean, of course, it would be very nice, and I suppose useful for some users.
Thank in advance :)
It will be a Summer project, as I am completely, totally busy through the end of June... :cry:

Return to “AcousModules”