Basic Surround Help

Official support for: acousmodules.free.fr
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi, I've recently been potentially assigned a musical assignment that requires music to be in surround sound, to be played in a cyberdome.

I have no idea how to do this. I'm used to recording, mixing in good ole stereo. I use Reaper, and I downloaded SpatPod 5.1, but haven't messed with it yet. I'm not really comfortable or schooled with routing or busses..

I only have 2 monitors... can I/how do I accurately mix for a biodome surround system? Where do I start? I read the Reaper tutorial (http://acousmodules.free.fr/acousmodules7_en.htm) but am still unsure how to use the plugin, which plugins I need, how to mix, render, etc, surround... :?

Thanks in advance

Puhh!
It seems as if you have quite a lot of things to learn!

I do not use Reaper, so I cant tell about how to use it.
I also do not know what is a Bio Dome.

But here are two links for a little bit of documentation about using Surround in Cubase.
(A french and a german version of the same document, I do not know why but it seems there is no english version of this document on Steinberg site)
It is not very much and it has not much to do with reaper but maybe it can help you a little to understand how to configure surround in a host.

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Cubase ... ial_de.pdf

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Cubase ... ial_fr.pdf

Now here are some very basic things that you absolutely need in order to be able to work and produce in surround ( I assume that you have to work in 5.1 surround):

you need:
1. a multichannel Soundcard with at least 6 channel in order to be able to work in 5.1 surround

2. a surround-able host, that allows you to pan and route your tracks to a 5.1 output bus (as I previously said, I know very little on Reaper and I dont know if it can work in surround)

3. a 5.1 Monitoring system: 5 identical Boxes + a Subwoofer.
There is no way to accurately produce a surround mix with a Stereo monitor system!

4. Depending on how your Surround music will be reproduced, you may have at one point to deal with the complexity of several Surround Format.
But that is a science for itself!

Here an additional link to very interesting Forums which are dedicated to multichannel.
http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/

You can probably find here and there some usefull informations.

Best regards and good luck ;)
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

Return to “AcousModules”