Kilohearts Ultimate EDM Toolkit

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a great bundle, I will have to get this. So many snapins and the Multipass, it will allow a lot of sound tweaking.

For me it seems a bit too redundant to my HOFA System and Blue Cat MB7, the latter allow for up to 6 bands with regular effects on each band. Maybe the modulation options of the KH bundle is not as redundant - any other special features I might need to consider?

Update: I realized I can try the demo... installing....
Last edited by plexuss on Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Multipass makes it up to “5 easily tweakable frequency bands”.
Modulation system is indeed pretty well implemented.
UI is really well thought and intuitive/fun to play around (also resizable).
Overall, great creative potential.

Personally I stay away from anything with 75% off in front of it. As for Kilohearts, the only one I've got is tapestop and it's fairly useful with basic controls. I'm looking down the list of toolkit and I think you really need to ask yourself if you need to double up on the plugins you already own in your daw? I mean these are really just stock plugins. Yes the toolbox is convenient and makes it appear modular and you can affect different frequencies but you can do that in your daw by simple routing techniques.
However, this is coming from an Ableton user. Maybe dragging effects into a chain and reorganizing them and everything is more complicated in other daws so this would be good value if it saves you time.

Kinh wrote:Personally I stay away from anything with 75% off in front of it. As for Kilohearts, the only one I've got is tapestop and it's fairly useful with basic controls. I'm looking down the list of toolkit and I think you really need to ask yourself if you need to double up on the plugins you already own in your daw? I mean these are really just stock plugins. Yes the toolbox is convenient and makes it appear modular and you can affect different frequencies but you can do that in your daw by simple routing techniques.
However, this is coming from an Ableton user. Maybe dragging effects into a chain and reorganizing them and everything is more complicated in other daws so this would be good value if it saves you time.
In Cubase it's a royal pain, which is why I'd consider something like this. The modular structure really saves time. Tons of it. After watching the demo video, I can't even imagine trying to do that in Cubase.

Ive been working with the demo and I am impressed. I really wish it had more modulation sources though. 2 of each LFO and ENV only gets me so far. still on the fence but I've started using it to write with... I'll probably make a last minute decision on this unless I uncover something which seals it either way for me. Nice offer though for those that don't have such a tool. The UX is generally very nice. If it had say 8 LFOs and 6 ENVs it would be a no brainer. shame to limit something like this so arbitrarily that way.

Nielzie wrote:Looks like a very good deal for all of them. They go very regularly at pretty steep discounts though (50-75% off). In december last year the individual snap-ins where $9 a piece IIRC.

"The works" (all of their plugins) was $179 in december 2017, but that included their synth.
Actually it was even less at JRR then. I think it was around $153 or so for The Works. Which to me is the better deal even over the current sale at audioplugin.deals. So I may wait for that to come around again next BF.

Only if you want Faturator, which I don’t (as Toolbox includes an even easier distortion) or ONE, which you can get for $10 or $20 once in a while. Anyway, getting this bundle gives you even sweeter upgrades to the five remaining plugins, if you indeed want them. So I prefer the present bundle of 28 plugins at $99 than paying $80 more for 5 plugins I don’t really need, such as Faturator.
Anyway, the AudioPluginDeals bundle is the better deal, at over $3 per plugin, while The Works would cost you over $5 each.

There is something to be said for having the works bundle (or equivalent), they are pretty easy to collect,
even without buying the bundle. To put it into perspective, the recent slice Eq cost me $13.

-Cheers

Kinh wrote:However, this is coming from an Ableton user. Maybe dragging effects into a chain and reorganizing them and everything is more complicated in other daws so this would be good value if it saves you time.
I'm an Ableton user myself but I'd consider this because the interface allows you to have all of the different bands available to you at the same time. Although you'd have more flexibility using racks, as you wouldn't be limited to the Kilohearts plugins, you'd have to click each different chain to open it, scroll along, make adjustments, open another chain to make adjustments to complement that change, etc., and multipass, while more limited, certainly improves upon that setup as you have each band and its fx visually laid out in one place.

For creative effects, I'd take meldaproduction's mxxxcore, which is often on sale at $49.

True, the user interface is nowhere near as immediately approachable as kilohearts multipass, but if the "melda way" clicks with you, then the same approach works across all their stuff.

Mxxxcore gives you up to 6 bands (plus additional splitting via band splitter modules), nestable modular patches with 8 channels of feedback, a bunch of useful building block modules including auto-pitch (can be used to create chorusing) - a huge range of filter types - compressor - delay tap (useful for building time-based effects) - stereo expander - wave-folder - noise - oscillator (like the mpowersynth oscillator, so very powerful including additive synthesis) - and tools like a spectrum analyzer/sonogram, oscilloscope etc. Image of full list of included modules here: https://www.meldaproduction.com/images/ ... FXFull.png

All that can be affected by the 16 multi-destination modulators (selectable between LFO/step seq/env follower/random/pitch follower), 128 macros (which can also be used to create a simple user interface panel), midi control (so can create a full blown mono synth inside of core - even includes a full-featured arp).

So even with just mxxxcore and no additional modules purchased, you can build out some very creative effects - here's a delay I made that has 4 taps, all with own selectable filter, a master filter with lfo, and global feedback with a filter of its own:

each of those delay taps can easily have additional effects/processing added to the chain eg it's a couple of clicks to add a wave-folder to one of the taps, or drop in auto-pitch to do a bit of chorusing.

added: those "crossover" (band splitter) modules are a way to do what multipass does - having global pre and post effects with multiband stuff in the middle, albeit far less elegantly.
Last edited by OneOfManyPauls on Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

I don't understand the difference between the 2 hosts/systems - why are there 2? (Snap heap and multipass)

I thought snap heap was the original/vanilla host for the snapins- with multipass being a premium multiband super-host type thing.

wagtunes wrote:
Kinh wrote:Personally I stay away from anything with 75% off in front of it. As for Kilohearts, the only one I've got is tapestop and it's fairly useful with basic controls. I'm looking down the list of toolkit and I think you really need to ask yourself if you need to double up on the plugins you already own in your daw? I mean these are really just stock plugins. Yes the toolbox is convenient and makes it appear modular and you can affect different frequencies but you can do that in your daw by simple routing techniques.
In Cubase it's a royal pain, which is why I'd consider something like this. The modular structure really saves time. Tons of it. After watching the demo video, I can't even imagine trying to do that in Cubase.
Have you considered making the switch to Ableton?

And dont forget the exotic crossover types for the multi bands, incuding tonal/transient, Spectrum and Level, besides the usual filter crossover types. Makes it way more versatile than any other multiband plugins which only utilise filter crossovers
OneOfManyPauls wrote:For creative effects, I'd take meldaproduction's mxxxcore, which is often on sale at $49.

True, the user interface is nowhere near as immediately approachable as kilohearts multipass, but if the "melda way" clicks with you, then the same approach works across all their stuff.

Mxxxcore gives you up to 6 bands (plus additional splitting via band splitter modules), nestable modular patches with 8 channels of feedback, a bunch of useful building block modules including auto-pitch (can be used to create chorusing) - a huge range of filter types - compressor - delay tap (useful for building time-based effects) - stereo expander - wave-folder - noise - oscillator (like the mpowersynth oscillator, so very powerful including additive synthesis) - and tools like a spectrum analyzer/sonogram, oscilloscope etc. Image of full list of included modules here: https://www.meldaproduction.com/images/ ... FXFull.png

All that can be affected by the 16 multi-destination modulators (selectable between LFO/step seq/env follower/random/pitch follower), 128 macros (which can also be used to create a simple user interface panel), midi control (so can create a full blown mono synth inside of core - even includes a full-featured arp).

So even with just mxxxcore and no additional modules purchased, you can build out some very creative effects - here's a delay I made that has 4 taps, all with own selectable filter, a master filter with lfo, and global feedback with a filter of its own:

each of those delay taps can easily have additional effects/processing added to the chain eg it's a couple of clicks to add a wave-folder to one of the taps, or drop in auto-pitch to do a bit of chorusing.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Effects”