The best Impulse Response [IR] sites

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

why cant i get echochamber to work ??
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

Do you mean the site or the impulses?

In case someone is interested, I've recently reviewed pretty much all the respectable free impulse convolution packs and came to a pretty clear conlusion:

the updated big L960 stereo set at noisevault was pretty much best in everything. I've always hated the fact that it's so damn difficult to find just the right impulse when you're in a hurry during production. Well no more and I'm happy. It has markedly less of the usual "impulse grain" or "hollow static sound" that we're almost too used to in impulses.

The set contains pretty much all the standard stuff one would need, including a good amount of extremely nice delay/reverb hybrids.

The chambers and ambiences especially shone in that pack. I wouldn't go as far as to say that these impulses sound like the L960, but really they do work in mixes. And that's the most important thing anyway.

that sounds promising, kingston. if only i had my usb-stick here at university... guess i have to wait till tomorrow :(
zort!

I very often find myself using Fokke's factory hall impulses. The big factory hall is great as an all round reverb, the small factory hall is great if you want a rich reverb with lots of harmonics.

I'll check out those L960 impulses - I have been a bit reluctant to use hardware impulses, just seems more appealing to use a real space IR. In the end, it's the sound that matters though, not the aesthetic appeal :-)

factory halls:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~fokkie/IR.htm
http://www.livelab.dk - slice up your life

Kingston wrote:In case someone is interested, I've recently reviewed pretty much all the respectable free impulse convolution packs and came to a pretty clear conlusion:

the updated big L960 stereo set at noisevault was pretty much best in everything. I've always hated the fact that it's so damn difficult to find just the right impulse when you're in a hurry during production. Well no more and I'm happy. It has markedly less of the usual "impulse grain" or "hollow static sound" that we're almost too used to in impulses.

The set contains pretty much all the standard stuff one would need, including a good amount of extremely nice delay/reverb hybrids.

The chambers and ambiences especially shone in that pack. I wouldn't go as far as to say that these impulses sound like the L960, but really they do work in mixes. And that's the most important thing anyway.
i find the tails on most the longer impulses in that pack all stop sunddenly, they havent been captured all the way down to -96. its a problem ive found with many impulses on the net. that said you can always shape the tail yourself in your ir player as long as you're willing to have it a lil shorter.

anyway, my fav impluse packs are the vss3 and 140 at echochamber, despite suffering from the usual (above). they should also be exact (static) 1:1 clones of the software.

wm wrote:anyway, my fav impluse packs are the vss3 and 140 at echochamber, despite suffering from the usual (above). they should also be exact (static) 1:1 clones of the software.
stupidly enough I somehow missed the big echochamber vss3 set when I did the roundup. I find it pretty much equal to the noisevault L960 set. There's even more choice with the small space ambiences and they're good. Again, I wouldn't go as far as to say it sounds like real system 6000 but it does work well. Well enough that one can tell the real difference between the units (l960, system 6000).

I haven't ever stumbled on the cutting tails problem. Could be because I never need such long reverbs. And often end up cutting "the slack" anyway to save some CPU.

But in all honesty, the echochamber uad plate sounds like crap. It has a good amount of the "impulse grain" and has foggy imaging (in a bad way).

tbh i havent properly checked the 140 impulses yet :P , i liked the vss3 ones and so assumed they'd be of the same quality, maybe not?

strange though, assuming they were done correctly they should be just as the software. i can make impulses here from Rverb and as long as the start is cut sample accurate, they directly cancel to noise floor, rverb has no movement though, and is essentially static already.
I haven't ever stumbled on the cutting tails problem. Could be because I never need such long reverbs. And often end up cutting "the slack" anyway to save some CPU.
try all the hall presets, 'med_large hall' is one of my faves, but sink something deep into it, turn volume up a little and theres the abrupt cut off, and its there on most of them. in a mix i guess its not noticable til something is exposed.

i also find with longer impulses there's a delay of the original signal at the end! wtf is that about?

wm wrote:tbh i havent properly checked the 140 impulses yet :P , i liked the vss3 ones and so assumed they'd be of the same quality, maybe not?
Could it be that the UAD plate isn't all that great in the first place despite the rave reviews? I've heard the plate demo and wasn't awfully thrilled about such one trick pony. It could be that the impulses are done correctly, but what can you do if the source sucks? :wink:

It would certainly seem this way especially considering the fact that all of the vss3 impulses by the same author are superior in many ways. But then, TC vss3 *is* superior to the uad plate.

I have some Sony DRE777 impulses that are the most pleasing to me. They are named thusly:

Code: Select all

1 Concertgebouw Large 2,3.wav
1 Concertgebouw Small 1,5.wav
1 Jesus-Christus 2,7.wav
1 Konzerthaus 2,2.wav
1 Musikvereinssaal 2,4.wav
1 San Vicente 3,4.wav
1 Westerkerk Church 3,3.wav
I know they were free, but I've forgotten exactly where I got them. I think it was NoiseVault about 2 years ago.
Last edited by Shane Sanders on Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

http://www.numericalsound.com/purespac.html

Now that sounds like a good product. Too much money for me right now, though.

Those Sony DRE IRs sound great, I think it was Salvator now of Tritone who put those up for a while. The STereo 960L pack is very good, the VSS3 ones are great for all sizes of rooms or ambience, and the Quantec ones are good for a certain thick sound.

Those UA 140 impulses don't sound as good as the plugin, which can be tweaked extensively (there are options that you can't see on the GUI, such as really smooth modulation parameters and choosing different HPF on the input modelled on various circuits used on EMTs.)

BTW a good way to get more out of using IRs is to use a nice sounding analog-style or tape delay plugin with 1 repeat/slap for the pre-delay. This way you can add some more flavor (saturation or lo-fi-ness) and these delays usually cut out some high end which I normally end up wanting to do anyway on most digital reverbs. You can turn the feedback up past 1 repeat too for nice results. Just make sure that the pre-delay is zeroed on the IR. If this delay is modulated a little bit it makes the IR sound less static and possibly more interesting if you are going for the more lush modulated type verbs.

The free Classic Delay works for this nicely as do the GMO-1 or PSP42 if you own them.

I looked around on the web and couldn't find the Sony DRE777 IRs. Anyone know where they can be found now?

:help:

lethe wrote:I looked around on the web and couldn't find the Sony DRE777 IRs. Anyone know where they can be found now?

:help:

I'd like to know that too :help:

I've still got the Sony DRE777 impulses. PM if interested.

Return to “Effects”