ELS Vocoder or orange vocoder?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

amiga909 wrote:just checked ELS

sound is absolutely overwhelming. I had once the opportunity to play a real EMS vocoder and ELS awakes similar feelings.
drawback: it eats a LOT of cpu (which is perfectly ok, natural for a vocoder)...

I know orange quite well... I'd say its a genius plug but the quality differences are vast (also cpu usage)

hmm... I always wanted a high end vocoder... any1 knows if there is a hardware device (hardware that is produced now, nothing vintage) that would come close to ELS?
There is an awesome Vocoder for the Scope system called Vocodizer that is also inspired by the EMS though less faithful to the original than the ELS it's also capable of more.

Also comes with that Plugiator thing apparently - might be cheapest way in.

Goseba wrote:I haven't actually tried it yet, but the Eiosis vocoder does have a side chain input now to allow you to use different carriers. This should greatly expand it sonic capabilities.
Yes, thats what I used with my mp3 example, very easy to use, just insert the sidechain plug on whatever channel you want to use as the carrier and then assigned it inside the ELS.
As well as the filter matrix you can go in deeper changing the filter type from 24/18/12db as well as several other Q tweaking options. Soo many sub-panels of tweakability its insane. I'd choose ELS gutsy organic and dynamic sound over the thin sterile (albient intelligable) sound of Orange in a heartbeat.
Arksun
Music Producer | Sound Designer
www.arksun-sound.com

Arksun wrote:
tahome wrote:Well, I'm kind of a vocoder fan myself and I recently tried the demo of the latest Eiosis version and I still didn't like it. It is lacking the presence of Orange and was difficult to control in a mix (clipping all over the board). The synth is barely usable and the intelligibility of the vocoded sounds is very low.

--th
Strange, my experience has been the exact opposite, the Eiosis ELS Vocoder can give far more intelligeable results than the orange, which just sounded too fluffy n stuffy to me. Granted it was a very old version of Orange I tried, perhaps they've made some improvements since then.

Tubeohm has next a new Vocoder Plug. Seems that it sounds good.
Made for Vocal and Drumsounds.

Greetings

Tube
REAL SOUND

Looks like the cat is finally out of the bag...

http://www.prosoniq.com/main/orangevocoder10ae/

WOW!!!! This really blows away everything I have heard so far...

--th
I'm the stereo chancellor

Hell, and NOT for PC :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:
proud to produce warezless!
my Trap beatz:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4J14A ... -FzS9TNa2w

Odd that some are having distortion problems and lack of intelligibility with ELS. Provided I set gains correctly, I had no distortion and found the vocoding to be much more detailed in capturing the nuances of the modulator input than anything else I've tried (granted, I'm mostly comparing it to hardware synths with vocoders that I've tried - it's been a few years since I used Orange).

I always use a different synth like Zebra or Blue for the carrier rather than the ELS built-in synth. I get far more interesting results using my voice to further shape the contours of sounds that are more harmonically complex and already have a bit of movement in them...the onboard synth sections in most vocoder plugins are pretty boring and bare bones.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to get a stereo carrier source going through ELS in Sonar. Works fine if I put it on a the same track as the microphone input, but that causes the vocoder to run in mono and I then have to stereoize it with effects. When I try putting the vocoder on a bus and routing the carrier and modulator in via two ELS sidechain plugins, it produces no sound. Granted, I'm still a relative Sonar noob, so I'm probably overlooking something.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

Odd that some are having distortion problems and lack of intelligibility with ELS
Part of it might be the lack of a high pass filter on the speech signal. This for me is the one weakness of ELS as most others have this option, to send through the highest frequencys of the original source which enhances intelligibility without too much of the original full sound coming through.

To get around this one can easily use another channel in the host with a filter plugin on it mixed in with the vocoded one, so its not a problem for me if I need that. I tend to use vocoder only as a harmonic enhancement to a normal main vocal and for that, nothing else matches the dynamic gutsy sound ELS has in software.

I did ask Eiosis whether they'd consider including a high pass switch on the speech mixer control as a future upgrade and they said they'd think about it :)
The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to get a stereo carrier source going through ELS in Sonar.
Strange, works fine sidechaining in stereo for me in Cubase.
Arksun
Music Producer | Sound Designer
www.arksun-sound.com

Arksun wrote: I did ask Eiosis whether they'd consider including a high pass switch on the speech mixer control as a future upgrade and they said they'd think about it :)
Its usually a little more complex than that. What you're talking about is a "voiced/unvoiced detector" which switches between the vocoded signal and the dry modulator, based on the sibilance.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Effects”