ELS Vocoder or orange vocoder?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know both have been discussed before, but I am about to pull the trigger on ELS vocoder.
I have been using the demo of the non-dongle lite version, and loving it!
the only concern is the price (expensive) and the CPU hit (big), so...

being on UB mac, I have not been able to demo orange vocoder.
I see they are going to release a AU version down the line, and was curious if anyone who has tried both thought the Prosoniq a better buy than the ELS.

is the orange worth waiting for, or is ELS the one to beat?

I have also tried the sugar bytes one, and it wasn't for me.

thanks

misterg wrote:I know both have been discussed before, but I am about to pull the trigger on ELS vocoder.
I have been using the demo of the non-dongle lite version, and loving it!
the only concern is the price (expensive) and the CPU hit (big), so...

being on UB mac, I have not been able to demo orange vocoder.
I see they are going to release a AU version down the line, and was curious if anyone who has tried both thought the Prosoniq a better buy than the ELS.

is the orange worth waiting for, or is ELS the one to beat?

I have also tried the sugar bytes one, and it wasn't for me.

thanks
I purchased ELS last year and love it. Use it for most things though Vokator is still around for special occasions.

Cheers,

C

Neither. Virsyn Matrix.

ELS

I bought ELS in the group buy last year, but I guess I still haven't installed it yet *blush*
<put your signature here>

Xnah wrote:I bought ELS in the group buy last year, but I guess I still haven't installed it yet *blush*
maybe you would be willing to sell it at a reasonable price :wink:
:)

I just downloaded the Synchrosoft-authorized full demo version of the ELS Vocoder and yep, I guess I'm going to have to buy the thing. Sounds very good. The only other vocoder I've used in recent history is the one in my Korg Wavestation A/D, and the output from the ELS Vocoder has a lot more clarity and detail. Used it in conjunction with a few of Howard's programs for Zebra and started making weird vocal noises into the mic, and in short order had some really weird overdubs on a song-in-progress that put me in mind of Rupert Greenall's synth work with The Fixx.

Did have a minor scare right after I installed the demo. When I launched Sonar, the Korg Wavestation suddenly couldn't find its Synchrosoft license and crashed Sonar. Once I rebooted the PC and relaunched Sonar, both the Wavestation and ELS found their Synchrosoft licenses and all seemed well. Dongle-protected software makes me nervous, but ELS Vocoder is one of the few things I've come across that seems like enough of a must-have to get it anyway.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

instead of starting a new thread ill just ask my question here...

i am in need of a VOcoder for a new project. i have narrowed it down to the ELS and Robotronic

has any had any problems with the dongle(in years past they were frowned upon)? when you order this does it come boxed?

any other problems what so ever with this?

although i may be forced to get robotronics becuase its less than half the price :(

The Orange Vocoder is good - but the ELS is better. Yes - more expensive. but on the other hand: buying the right thing from the beginning saves you money in the end. Bought too much stupid half-good stuff in my life to realize that the things you want usually cost lots of money, and the stuff you hope will be good enough - usually aren't.

The really bad thing, is that I end up spending more money than if I would have gone for the big stuff right away. Huha...

/C

warbug wrote:has any had any problems with the dongle(in years past they were frowned upon)? when you order this does it come boxed?
The Syncrosoft dongle (aka known as the Steinberg key) have never caused my computer to flip. And it's been there since Cubase SX1. Solid.

For software, hands Down, the ELS. Extremely tweakable, great at creating a whole range of vocoder type sounds from vintage to the outright bizarre.

My fave hardware vocoder is the one built into my Supernova II, 48 bands of audio bliss.
Arksun
Music Producer | Sound Designer
www.arksun-sound.com

...i would go for AKAI DC-Vocoder, made by the EMS chief engineer:

"David Cockerell was Chief Engineer at Peter Zinovieff's studio in London and then at EMS"

http://www.audiomidi.com/aboutus/review ... kaivst.cfm

http://www1.keyboards.de/magazine/m0403/304090wp.html

http://www.macmusic.org/software/view.p ... en/id/123/

just checked ELS

sound is absolutely overwhelming. I had once the opportunity to play a real EMS vocoder and ELS awakes similar feelings.
drawback: it eats a LOT of cpu (which is perfectly ok, natural for a vocoder)...

I know orange quite well... I'd say its a genius plug but the quality differences are vast (also cpu usage)

hmm... I always wanted a high end vocoder... any1 knows if there is a hardware device (hardware that is produced now, nothing vintage) that would come close to ELS?

amiga909 wrote:just checked ELS

sound is absolutely overwhelming. I had once the opportunity to play a real EMS vocoder and ELS awakes similar feelings.
drawback: it eats a LOT of cpu (which is perfectly ok, natural for a vocoder)...

I know orange quite well... I'd say its a genius plug but the quality differences are vast (also cpu usage)

hmm... I always wanted a high end vocoder... any1 knows if there is a hardware device (hardware that is produced now, nothing vintage) that would come close to ELS?

i dont know if it come close... but the MircoKorg or the korg r-6 is what i was looking at 400-600...

Return to “Effects”