Audio Damage Automaton now available...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

stuman wrote:Purchased and really digging this one, it's Glitchtastic :)
IMO its Glitcheristic! :roll: :hihi:

does anyone have an opinion on which is the best option when choosing between this one and Replicant?

livedead13 wrote:does anyone have an opinion on which is the best option when choosing between this one and Replicant?
take the both of them and combine!

Automaton is funnier though ...
"It dreamed itself along"

I would say pick up Automaton first...

Every plugin these guys make is good, or great and of course even better when considering value for money, but I honestly didn't use Replicant.

With Automaton, I've got 3 different mixes with this going and all sound different... Its a lovely device :love:

Speaking strictly as a consumer, and not as the designer of both plugins (I made them for me to use, as well...) I would say that you can get about 60% of Replicant's features with Automaton. It can't do some of the more esoteric things that Replicant can pull off, and it doesn't do the basic stuff with the same amount of grace.

But...

As was noted, it is more fun to use (and that's important, where creativity is concerned). I would say that if you just want to add a bit of randomization to your audio stream and don't want to get really deep in to using the generative features, you're probably better off with Replicant, as you can just throw it on and step through the presets. Automaton is a deeper effect overall, but not as good at seamless slicing.

I hope that helps. From a business standpoint I would prefer you buy both, of course. But from a user's standpoint, Replicant is easier to use. The results are quite different, as well. Replicant is, uh, warmer? Automaton is _very_ skittery and clicky, whereas Replicant is smoother in general.

that definitely does help. thanks for such a quick response!

livedead13 wrote:does anyone have an opinion on which is the best option when choosing between this one and Replicant?
Obviously, nobody else knows what your budget is but you. However, I too would vote for picking up both. :)

Ken

What about the pre-paid Visa question? And where is the post I wrote asking this yesterday? (I +1ed shanecgriffo's question actually! :D )

Bought this earlier and it's great. Just wondered if anyone can comment on how it compares with Effectrix?
Last edited by C.Bennett on Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colin Bennett wrote:Bought this earlier and it's great. Just wondered if any can comment on how it compares with Effectrix?
IMO these are two different beasts... I was never able to break down and want to buy effectrix, whereas this one was a no-brainer.

Maybe someone else could go on about specific difference since I don't own Effectrix, but I do think these two are different enough, that you don't have to worry about replicating devices or payments.

I like the concept of the sequencer but I'm not so thrilled about the effects that it controls. I'd much rather see some granular mangler, phaser/flanger/chorus thing, reverb/delay (would be awesome to get single "chops" into a nice reverb/delay).. the ring modulator and glitch thing do sound quite fun but more effects in combination with the ones already there would be kewl.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote:I like the concept of the sequencer but I'm not so thrilled about the effects that it controls. I'd much rather see some granular mangler, phaser/flanger/chorus thing, reverb/delay (would be awesome to get single "chops" into a nice reverb/delay).. the ring modulator and glitch thing do sound quite fun but more effects in combination with the ones already there would be kewl.

Cheers!
bManic
I'm actually happy that it doesn't come with phaser, flanger, chorus, reverb. It does have a delay knob on there, but I love the device's simplicity and then being able to use with any number of my other fx plugins without creating over-kill on the fx, is really nice.

Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean. How do you use it with other FX? Or you just mean you insert other 3rd party effects after Automaton?

I like the way the sequencer is able to trigger things on both weird and precise "locations" of the running audio stream. It would have the potential to make some even crazier sounds with at least some granular things thrown in there (the slicer does chop things into very small bits which could be used kind of like granular effects and it has pitch up/down as well).

Anyhow, I know there are other plugins with the same concept but different execution (no life simulators). Will have to look into it.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote:Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean. How do you use it with other FX? Or you just mean you insert other 3rd party effects after Automaton?

I like the way the sequencer is able to trigger things on both weird and precise "locations" of the running audio stream. It would have the potential to make some even crazier sounds with at least some granular things thrown in there (the slicer does chop things into very small bits which could be used kind of like granular effects and it has pitch up/down as well).

Anyhow, I know there are other plugins with the same concept but different execution (no life simulators). Will have to look into it.

Cheers!
bManic

Sorry for not explaining. That's exactly what I mean... inserting 3rd party FX after Automaton.

I'm sure this is a personal preference, but I do like that this has its specialty function(s). I feel I have more freedom using the many other plugins I have to insert afterwards to create additional possibilities. Mainly its the freedom of various combinations of my other 3rd party FX that I love to be able to experiment with.

Again, personal preference, but I never liked the plugins that jam tons of FX into a single product, when some of those FX might be either inferior to the other 3rd party FX I own, or if not inferior, then they might not produce exactly the sound I want.

Wondering if there's any limit to the length of a sample it can process?

And, curious if anyone has tried this on beatless samples since it seems oriented otherwise?

Return to “Effects”