Cytomic 'The Glue' Compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Glue

I don't have access to SSL 4000 E/G hardware so I can't compare. That being said, I'm totally not trying to bash The Glue at all. I just think that Bishop kid was way off base when he tried to say that freeware is better than the Waves plugs. With it's added features, I know The Glue is probably capable of some more intricate compression fx. That being said, the waves ssl comp is still one of the best comp plugs imo.

futurefields wrote:I don't have access to SSL 4000 E/G hardware so I can't compare. That being said, I'm totally not trying to bash The Glue at all. I just think that Bishop kid was way off base when he tried to say that freeware is better than the Waves plugs. With it's added features, I know The Glue is probably capable of some more intricate compression fx. That being said, the waves ssl comp is still one of the best comp plugs imo.
Have you compared Waves SSL to The Glue yourself?

futurefields, waves ssl comp is not good, a lot of aliasing...

the glue is better than waves ssl, technicaly and sounding...

pylorca wrote:futurefields, waves ssl comp is not good, a lot of aliasing...
haha - good joke.

meloco_go wrote:
futurefields wrote:I don't have access to SSL 4000 E/G hardware so I can't compare. That being said, I'm totally not trying to bash The Glue at all. I just think that Bishop kid was way off base when he tried to say that freeware is better than the Waves plugs. With it's added features, I know The Glue is probably capable of some more intricate compression fx. That being said, the waves ssl comp is still one of the best comp plugs imo.
Have you compared Waves SSL to The Glue yourself?
I have, and I prefer the Glue. Having said that, the Waves SSL is by no means crap, and I've only heard aliasing when running plug-ins instruments that do alias through it, but that holds true for every compressor - garbage in, garbage out.

The Glue holds its own any day when compared with other modeled (or not modeled) software compressors (save for maybe one, which I'm still demoing).

I just snagged this compressor off the Market Place here on KVR! This compressor incredible! My new fav for sure!

Thanks Andrew!

meloco_go wrote:Andy, any info when v1.016 would be released?
Also, how's your investigation of "analog" attack going? The Glue is already amazing and using Range knob I can really make it breathe, but every little improvement is great!
Still working on it, just fixing a couple of last minute bugs people have reported with some less mainstream hosts.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

futurefields wrote:
haha - good joke.
yeah! you have a good ear :hihi:

hey, i keep hearing people rave about the glue, so congrats to cytomic. can somebody reflect on what sets this compressor apart from say, kjaerhus classic compressor (or any compressor) this is strictly a learning-mode question, thanks.
"Hardware versions of software are on the horizon."

thankyou wrote:hey, i keep hearing people rave about the glue, so congrats to cytomic. can somebody reflect on what sets this compressor apart from say, kjaerhus classic compressor (or any compressor) this is strictly a learning-mode question, thanks.
The Glue is an emulation of the popular Bus Compresor of the SSL 4000 series Console.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

pylorca wrote:
futurefields wrote:
haha - good joke.
better than yours, apparently. You think waves ssl is not good? That's a bad ear.

futurefields wrote:
pylorca wrote:
futurefields wrote:
haha - good joke.
better than yours, apparently. You think waves ssl is not good? That's a bad ear.
is not bad... but the glue is better, you can do a A/B test, and ear diferences...

Visible test: put a 992hz sine wave in your host, then the compressor, then freq analizer (like span 2), the glue has aliasing (aparently less in 1.0.16) but at low levels. The Waves SSL has a lot of aliasing... aliasing cause less definition and ear fatigue....

aliasing is not present in the real world (and is not present in analog equipment)

more info:

Aliasing, inharmonic (english translation)

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much- ... ad.html#21

Wow... seems like we have aliasing witchhunt.

Of course aliasing is bad and it is best to avoid it. But in case of Waves SSL I HIGHLY doubt that audible difference between it and Glue is down to aliasing.
For example, use both at 96k on something like finger-played bass (with soft attacks) -- would they still sound different? I believe yes. So, the difference is not down to aliasing.

Also, where are many cases when leaving "some" aliasing is best compromise between desired sound/latency/CPU.

Double post
Last edited by Tp3 on Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

electro wrote:
thankyou wrote:hey, i keep hearing people rave about the glue, so congrats to cytomic. can somebody reflect on what sets this compressor apart from say, kjaerhus classic compressor (or any compressor) this is strictly a learning-mode question, thanks.
The Glue is an emulation of the popular Bus Compresor of the SSL 4000 series Console.
Hehe ... that reminds me of one time that Duvdev from Infected Mushroom (Psychedelic Trance due) was asked what
makes his Lexicon 480 so unique - soundwise ... and he replied by saying :
"umm... maybe because it costs 30,000$ ?..." :D
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Return to “Effects”