Cytomic 'The Glue' Compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Glue

bishop666 wrote:I am not surprised that the glue is close to the ssl hardware.

More insteresting is that the waves plugin version is way off. Like all of the waves stuff. But big congrats to waves for fooling all the people. Selling plugs that are really worse then freeware at insane prices that's professional marketing. That's were waves really shines.

Anyway the glue is excellent. The differences are very small if you compare it to the hardware. It is on my list.
+1

It's amazing how many people think Waves stuff is god. And everything else is amateur. It's been for years like that.

The range of people goes all the way from the just getting started clueless bedroom musician to the pirate-owns-every piece-of-music-software-ever-released to the semi-pro to the pro musicians.

I think of Waves as some of the greatest swindlers of our time.

bishop666 wrote:Selling plugs that are really worse then freeware at insane prices that's professional marketing.
I don't know if I'd go that far, especially considering Wave's "originals" like the Hybrid Comp and Qclone. I would love to see a freeware alternative that beats those two things at what they do. I have their version of the SSL Bus Comp, and while I'd choose the Glue to it any day of the week, that's not to say it's pure crap. Like anything, I think it's more the artist/mixer behind the controls that makes the real difference.

Melvin J. wrote:Any word on the X64 version, Andy? I would love to have The Glue without the need for a bridge!
Win Vst x64 and Mac Au x64 are included in the upcoming release I'm working on now (v1.0.16). I meant to get it out last week but a few things came up. Won't be long now though :)
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

andy_cytomic wrote: Win Vst x64 and Mac Au x64 are included in the upcoming release I'm working on now (v1.0.16). I meant to get it out last week but a few things came up. Won't be long now though :)
Thats brilliant news ! I'm trying to go all x64 especially with fx. First fabfilter & now Cytomic. I asked the same question on the Camel Audio Forum & they seem to be working on x64 for the next update of Alchemy, plus I think Urs of U-He is working on x64 updates too.

BTW Andy I must praise you for "The Glue" Its an outstanding compressor. I just bought it for a great price recently here on the Marketplace forum. So far I've had excellent results with it on the drum bus & bass synth of my latest project. Keep up the good work.

I can't wait for the update now! :)

Peevy2000 wrote:
Thats brilliant news ! I'm trying to go all x64 especially with fx. First fabfilter & now Cytomic.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do too. Although there are a few free plug-ins that I'm willing to bridge as they are free.

I was just reading over at the Cbase forums, about sidechaining in Cubase, and for 3rd party plugins you need to go down the group bus quadro path etc, but apparantly if the plugin is a VST3 , then it works the same as cubase's own compressor and sidechaining is done at the click of a button.

So I was wondering are there any plans to make "The Glue" VST3 at all ? or any future editions of the glue ?

Still my goto Compressor for everything, always will be I think, but would love to use it in Cbase like it's own compressor, how cool would that be.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

LeVzi wrote:I was just reading over at the Cbase forums, about sidechaining in Cubase, and for 3rd party plugins you need to go down the group bus quadro path etc, but apparantly if the plugin is a VST3 , then it works the same as cubase's own compressor and sidechaining is done at the click of a button.

So I was wondering are there any plans to make "The Glue" VST3 at all ? or any future editions of the glue ?

Still my goto Compressor for everything, always will be I think, but would love to use it in Cbase like it's own compressor, how cool would that be.
There are currently no plans to support VST3. For a small company like Cytomic the overhead is huge to do so on my own, and VST3 is a completely new plugin format - about as similar as VST2.4 is to AU or RTAS. If there is any change in the situation I will let everyone know, but for now your best bet is asking Steinberg why they can't support sidechains for VST2.4 plugins - I've asked them the same question and they didn't give me any technical reasons why they couldn't do it. All other hosts support sidechains for VST2.4 plugins just fine :shrug:

Thats cool Andy, I don't know the procedure for creating vst's, let alone going to VST3. I've no idea why Steinberg don't allow it for plugins other than vst3, still, we live in hope they'll sort that :)
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

LeVzi wrote:...we live in hope they'll sort that :)
You go right ahead. I gave up hope a long time ago. :hihi:

bishop666 wrote: More insteresting is that the waves plugin version is way off. Like all of the waves stuff. But big congrats to waves for fooling all the people. Selling plugs that are really worse then freeware at insane prices that's professional marketing. That's were waves really shines.
False.

To futurefields and Bishop:

They sound pretty much the same. I think that the SSL sounds great, but for drums, I'd go with The Glue, simply because of the faster attack times.

I still like the Waves for mastering for some reason (although the company sucks balls, sure). That SSL eq is also damn good.

How's the oversampling in Glue BTW?

futurefields wrote:
bishop666 wrote: More insteresting is that the waves plugin version is way off. Like all of the waves stuff. But big congrats to waves for fooling all the people. Selling plugs that are really worse then freeware at insane prices that's professional marketing. That's were waves really shines.
False.
Well I won't pass judgement either way, but here are some audio examples so you can draw your own conclusions, the setting is 0.1 mS attack, 0.1 S release, ratio 10, gain reduction needle on the analog (and on the glue since it matches the analog) peaking at around -18 dB:

http://www.cytomic.com/files/drums-kick-slam-dry.mp3
http://www.cytomic.com/files/drums-kick-slam-glue.mp3
http://www.cytomic.com/files/drums-kick-slam-analog.mp3

This one is the waves ssl bus comp generated by a someone at gearslutz matching the settings:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachme ... es-ssl.mp3

Here are the 24 bit wavs of the dry, glue, and analog versions of not just the above loop but two more so you have a few different flavours to compare to, please feel free to post any .wav or .mp3 results you get matching things:

http://www.cytomic.com/files/the-glue-drums-ab-wavs.zip

Matching settings doesn't even work on hardware. You have to match by ear. Did you analyze SSL 4000 console behavior with Solid State Logic? Waves did. Regardless of whether or not people like your plug more (which is a valid stance) the general consensus among people that have worked on 4000 hardware is that Waves pretty much nailed it.

futurefields wrote:Matching settings doesn't even work on hardware. You have to match by ear. Did you analyze SSL 4000 console behavior with Solid State Logic? Waves did. Regardless of whether or not people like your plug more (which is a valid stance) the general consensus among people that have worked on 4000 hardware is that Waves pretty much nailed it.
Matching the settings is easy on a compressor with notched settings - even allowing for component tolerances of 1% the sound should still be very close, which is the whole point of having notched settings in the first place on the original analog! All you need to do is match the threshold till the needle is showing the correct dB, then adjust the makeup till it's the right volume.

I look forward to you posting an audio demo so people can judge for themselves just how well each plugin matches the hardware. Or if you think my example is some way rigged please feel free to post your own dry audio along with the corresponding settings and processed audio through both the analog and waves plugin - I will be happy to match the setting at my end, just let me know what the analog units needle was peaking at.

If you need an external arbiter to believe what your ears are hearing then please check out the upcoming Sound On Sound review of The Glue.

Andy, any info when v1.016 would be released?
Also, how's your investigation of "analog" attack going? The Glue is already amazing and using Range knob I can really make it breathe, but every little improvement is great!

Return to “Effects”