Is it just me, or do bootsie's plugins don't do the trick...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bootsie wrote: The secret answer to this miracle is already given deep in this thread here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3234379
:hihi:
Given the overwhelming number of posts that's more of a threat than a thread :wink:
Cheers,
susiwong

bootsie wrote:
mandt wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
waveriderarts wrote:
Nokenoku wrote: NastyHF, NastyLF, NastyCS, BootEQ

funny, I can't find any of it in the kvr database.... anyone has a link?
All the links are in bootsie's threads ... not in the database.
Which always confused me. Why aren't they?
The secret answer to this miracle is already given deep in this thread here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3234379
Um. Yikes.
I still think, your punctuation sucks, and your spelling isn't cool! So there...

Compyfox wrote:I mean... I still mostly use *gasp - blasphemy* Steinberg's Q. Though this IS a broad EQ, which is why I mostly abuse IIEQ as of late.
YOU WHAT???

Shogger
What?

Hi Compyfox,
due to the length of your post no quotes, just some short replies to points you made, ok ?
------------------
-- actually I more or less agree with you in one point : My plugin folder is relatively small, and I really don't have to test each new plugin.
Bootsie for example was recommended to me by bduffy who knows a bit about that topic :hihi: , so I tried, compared and started using these plugins.
A certain preselection is made by all you posters in audio forums, Synthedit is mostly unusable for FX atm due to the still unresolved multicore/multi-instance bug (not out of chauvinism), PACE is not considered, forced www connection is not considered, Mac is not considered.
My criteria are simple :
- what do I need ?
- what's the best tool for the job ?
- will it work with my setup and workflow ?
- please note money is not an important consideration for me, if I can't afford the ideal product right now I'll buy it later when I have the money, time to raise some extra funds, fix a few PCs or guitars, sell something I no longer need (ie. my neighbour's evil grandmother), play a few more gigs, stuff like that.
I only mention that I'm not using freeware plugs because they are cheaper but because they are as good or better than the commercial competition.
- so for FX it's UAD and Duende here mostly, bootsie's range, CSR and SVX, and less than ten other freeware plugins (Tbt, Kjaerhus, a few delays).
Not including ampsims, which I'm reinvestigating atm.
-------------------
-- if you're talking about C4's channel EQ, that one is pretty decent actually
-------------------
-- you'd better ask bootsie himself if it's coincidence his plugs sound the way they do :shock: , from what I know they are the result of hundreds of hours of hard and precise research and work.
-------------------
-- in place of the usual disclaimer, it goes without saying that everybody's needs, taste, ideals, goals are different, this is a creative thing after all.
Cheers,
susiwong

Arksun wrote:
pico wrote: I can't name 1 digital eq that can reproduce second and third harmonics.
I can, Nebula. Check out the Doc Fear eq for it, do a high freq boost and then pick your jaw back up off the floor :D

Back on topic, The Nasty series is pretty damn good for freeware!.
Ive got nebula 3 bought version, it's nice, but a CPU hog.
And it still can't replace my analog eq :(
I wished for years for something to come out so i can sell my desks, but i am still waiting.

Nebula is one of the plugs that comes close to what i want, but comes close doesn't cut it for me.

I just feel stupid buying all these plug ins over the years, it cost's a lot of money.... and after all where does my mix end up?.... in the desk :lol:

Compyfox wrote:Granted, the NastyCS does look like the Neve 1084, but is it just inspired, or is there some more behind it?
The list of vintage wannabe plugs is long and grows longer with the passing of time. We all know the drill: Vintage looks and expressly stated or intimated similarities to famous hardware of the past, from the golden age of recording. The problem is, determining the authenticity of the replication is essentially impossible, the likelihood of having a digital plug actually do so is minute, and the liberties taken by coders may or may not result in improvements over other emulations of the same hardware.

And does any of this really matter? If the effect is not desirable, or if it is everything one could ask for, the reality is that whether it matches or approximates a vintage piece of kit is irrelevant. And who will really know anyway. No one. Coloration, transparency, warmth, ooie gooie thickness...it's all a matter of taste when it comes to mixing.

Bootsie's graphics guy, however, really does a nice job. :)
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

susiwong wrote:Hi Compyfox,
due to the length of your post no quotes, just some short replies to points you made, ok ?
Sure, no prob.
susiwong wrote: A certain preselection is made by all you posters in audio forums, Synthedit is mostly unusable for FX atm due to the still unresolved multicore/multi-instance bug (not out of chauvinism)
I totally forgot about that one. Since a Quad is on the front door for me, too.

susiwong wrote: I only mention that I'm not using freeware plugs because they are cheaper but because they are as good or better than the commercial competition.
- so for FX it's UAD and Duende here mostly, bootsie's range, CSR and SVX, and less than ten other freeware plugins (Tbt, Kjaerhus, a few delays).
This is not much, buf i look at the Duende, there's Gates and the like covered, while UAD covers comps and EQs. Then it's understandable why this folder is so small.

susiwong wrote:-- if you're talking about C4's channel EQ, that one is pretty decent actually
Worse, this is why I said blasphemy: I use the bundled seperate filter "Q" in SX3, since the channelstrip EQ itself is causing weird CPU spikes.
susiwong wrote:-- you'd better ask bootsie himself if it's coincidence his plugs sound the way they do, from what I know they are the result of hundreds of hours of hard and precise research and work.
Maybe I should indeed. At least if it comes to NastyCS.

susiwong wrote:-- in place of the usual disclaimer, it goes without saying that everybody's needs, taste, ideals, goals are different, this is a creative thing after all.
True... but do I really need like 10-15 plugin packs for that? However this is a Q that only I can solve I'm afraid.

eduardo_b wrote:The list of vintage wannabe plugs is long and grows longer with the passing of time. We all know the drill: Vintage looks and expressly stated or intimated similarities to famous hardware of the past, from the golden age of recording. The problem is, determining the authenticity of the replication is essentially impossible, the likelihood of having a digital plug actually do so is minute, and the liberties taken by coders may or may not result in improvements over other emulations of the same hardware.
I guess this is also a major selling point lately. Then again... what I ask myself all the time, if a plugin like that is released (vintage/rebuilt/whatever) - how much is there behind it? For the Pultronic for example, we saw tons of OSCs, some tubes and the likes, so this is at least a starting point. But let's say Dev A comes along, has GUI's like old hardware, says it is vintage - and people start to rave about it, even say "OMG this is a rebuilt of something". And then the usual meme starts again.

eduardo_b wrote:And does any of this really matter? If the effect is not desirable, or if it is everything one could ask for, the reality is that whether it matches or approximates a vintage piece of kit is irrelevant. And who will really know anyway. No one. Coloration, transparency, warmth, ooie gooie thickness...it's all a matter of taste when it comes to mixing.
True - though there is always the factor "I don't have the hardware for like 10 years anymore, but I still remember the sound of it". :wink:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:
eduardo_b wrote:And does any of this really matter? If the effect is not desirable, or if it is everything one could ask for, the reality is that whether it matches or approximates a vintage piece of kit is irrelevant. And who will really know anyway. No one. Coloration, transparency, warmth, ooie gooie thickness...it's all a matter of taste when it comes to mixing.
True - though there is always the factor "I don't have the hardware for like 10 years anymore, but I still remember the sound of it". :wink:
Oh, yes, the illusive, completely unreliable acoustic memory syndrome. :hihi:
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

I like to also think of 'modelled' plug-ins like i do when i am recommended or read about a band that i may like > as they are said to sound a bit like 'x,x and x-bands' that i like. I then look who they have been on tour with/are on tour with, then listen to a few tracks and decide if im going to buy a CD. I Do basically the same thing when a 'vintage' 'analogue' or 'classic' modelled/based plug-in is released and it works for me usually the same way (ie: check it out, try a demo and decide if i am going to buy and/or use said plug-in(s)

f**k yes a rusty/hazy/fuzzy 'snap shot' of something you poked/fiddled around a little bit with 10 odd-years ago is a crap way to compare/judge fairly i totally agree > might as well shove some ear-muffs on whilst comparing :lol:

Dean

Compyfox wrote:...at least not to me.
I was sorting out plugins last night, and unfortunately, Bootsie's creations are among them. It's a pity, cause they got very positive feedback and the likes. But I dunno - it's just not doing it for me.
This are only Synthmaker plugins, so what do you expect? But to be fair, this plugins are miles better then this plugins from Antress. For Freeware and Synthmaker not bad and usable.
But for high quality plugins you must buy a UAD, SSL Duende or something in this direction. You get what you pay for...

4damind wrote:This are only Synthmaker plugins, so what do you expect? But to be fair, this plugins are miles better then this plugins from Antress. For Freeware and Synthmaker not bad and usable.
Three stupid sentences in a row! Synthmaker-made doesn't per se imply anything about a plugins audio quality. Also while Bootsies plugins are superior to Antress performance-wise, some of the Antress stuff does totally rock plus you are comparing apples with oranges here. Thirdly Bootsies plugs don't only rock in relation to other SM/freeware stuff, they are very nice plugins in relation to quite everything.

PS: Bootsie, any chance to make Bootieq 96khz ready one day?

4damind wrote: This are only Synthmaker plugins, so what do you expect? But to be fair, this plugins are miles better then this plugins from Antress. For Freeware and Synthmaker not bad and usable.
But for high quality plugins you must buy a UAD, SSL Duende or something in this direction. You get what you pay for...
Fail

eduardo_b wrote:
Compyfox wrote:
Oh, yes, the illusive, completely unreliable acoustic memory syndrome. :hihi:
I thought about that quite often. I came to the conclusion that certain sounds are that special that they "move me" inside in certain ways. If those "move me" components are in te sound then it's fine for me. Otherwise the "emulation" failed. I have this with Moog sounds, guitar sounds, certain reverb sounds, etc.
Just as some odours can bring back exact memories of situations and feelings it's with certain sounds. Completely unreliable? Not completely.

Shogger
What?

4damind wrote:
Compyfox wrote:...at least not to me.
I was sorting out plugins last night, and unfortunately, Bootsie's creations are among them. It's a pity, cause they got very positive feedback and the likes. But I dunno - it's just not doing it for me.
This are only Synthmaker plugins, so what do you expect? But to be fair, this plugins are miles better then this plugins from Antress. For Freeware and Synthmaker not bad and usable.
Happy greetings from the prejudice front. I would love to do some blind tests with you.

Shogger
What?

4damind wrote:This are only Synthmaker plugins, so what do you expect? But to be fair, this plugins are miles better then this plugins from Antress. For Freeware and Synthmaker not bad and usable.
Really .. EPIC FAIL.

1. Synthmaker (at least how Bootsy uses it) is nothing different than a coding-environment. Soundwise it wouldn't make a difference if those plugins would be coded in C or whatever.

2. At least for the EQs there is no (quality-wise) difference between Bootsies plugins, the UAD plugins, the Waves plugins, a load of other free plugs or the integrated EQ of most sequencers.
The only not-so-good-quality-thing on a digital EQ could be curve-warping near the Nyquist-frequency (I came to the conclusion, that this curve warping doesn't sound good in nearly all cases). Everything else is just a matter of taste. That's it.

Return to “Effects”