Is it just me, or do bootsie's plugins don't do the trick...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You trying to tell me you really spent some time with density on the master buss and came away saying its useless for you? I would have to say it's probably one of the most flexible compressors I use. I've choose it over the Sonalksis 315 (on the master buss) several times and we all that is a great compressor. Density is really very deep, predictable and controllable. It will not squash your mix nor does suck out the lowend. It fact in enhances width, depth and can create a very deep and solid lowend. He named it right because it does add density to the mix when set correctly. I think his stuff stands far above the rest. Wait until he releases his new reverb before you write off. You just wanna might change your mind.

:wink:

NEKRO.MACHINE wrote:I wish bloody Pro Tools would let me organize
Speaking of which, wasn't 8.0 supposed to have been released earlier this month?
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

eduardo_b wrote:
NEKRO.MACHINE wrote:Myself - i have had some good results with bootsie's plug-ins. However like nigh on all plug-ins both freeware and payware i have used or do use they do not sound great on everything i try them on:
That great variable, personal taste, can overcome any objective assessment, can't it? :)

It's really interesting when someone who seems very experienced and knowledgeable raves about this plug or that, and others find themselves not hearing the same wonderful things. Where is the problem...it must be me because this other person clearly knows far more than I do. And yet...what they know is also influenced by what they like and what they don't, just like everyone else.
Indeed friend and what many seem to forget (but i guess when in love mode with a certain plug-in they are blinded by the revelations they are hearing like you say man) - my question is this: how do they manage to do both at the same time? i mean if i am really enjoying using something and in love mode, the last place your going to find me is online typing love letters about it at the same time! :lol: guess i am not built for multi-tasking :hihi:

eduardo_b wrote:
Speaking of which, wasn't 8.0 supposed to have been released earlier this month?
Yes i think so, i had an e-mail from digi about paying now for a pre-order upgrade but that was about it and i did not investigate any further because i wont be going v8.0 until the new year as having two kids and playing Santa is brutal on the wallet :shock:

Here is the e-mail header title if you did not get it:
Digidesign wrote:Pro Tools 8 - Pre-order your upgrade today‏
Sent: 04 December 2008 10:31:26
To: nekromachine@[mod edit: email address obscured to foil spambots]
Other than that i have not heard a thing mate :)

Dean

BTW: Had any look or trouble with the UAD card plug-ins using the FXpansion adaptor out of intrest?
Last edited by Dean Aka Nekro on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Might be there's a tiny curvy path between love and knowledge.

but, sometimes, you fall in love and you know why :-o and even, yes, you can share it with other people. :hug:

Of course, and fortunately, this only applies to Vstis, and only under certain limited circumstances 8)

Ltz
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Well, if it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work for you. There's nothing wrong with you nor is something wrong with the plugins.

I have to say, that I personally got a little bit confused/overwhelmed as well, because of the many different tools of Bootsies series, which often do similar things:

NastyHF, NastyLF, NastyCS, BootEQ are basically EQs .. and for EQing I still prefer a standard parametric one like the EQ2 of FLStudio. That's the fastest for me. I also don't need fancy UAD-EQs or Waves API/SSL/V-Series Bla (Bootsies EQs play on the same level by the way), but that's just a matter of taste.
I have to say however, that I find myself quite often using the NastyLF, because the saturation on basses of that plugin is really nice for my sense (of course then I also use the boost function ... because the curve often hits the spot)!

NastyVSD, TableTop, Tessla, Rescue and Density do all some kind of "analogizing" stuff (simply spoken). For MS-stuff I just use this Voxengo-tool. And from those saturating things here I personally only found use for Tessla (I use it, when I want things to sound old ... works quite good).

In the end it depends all on what you need/want/like. I think some of Bootsies plugins are rather "special" and just not suitable for everyones needs.

Whatever ...
I recommend everyone to try the EpicVerb, when it's out! I have the very strong "feel", that it will be very good. :D :wink:

Compyfox wrote:...at least not to me.

Is my critism uncalled for and should I hide in the corner? Am I the only one who thinks like that?

So why not focus, on what I might really "need"?

Word up...
Man, what's the problem? Don't be insecure! Use what works for you and don't use what doesn't cut it for you.
Refuse to bow to the hype or pro or whatever pressure. It's not easy but possible.

Shogger

P.S. My plugins are better than yours! :lol: :band2: :hug:

Los Mann, lach mal! :hihi:
What?

Bootsie's plugins rock. End of story.

Chrisma wrote:Density... I've choose it over the Sonalksis 315 (on the master buss) several times and we all that is a great compressor.
Actually I don't like the Sonalksis on a master bus, I prefer something like URS instead. And who said I used Density on a Master Bus? I tried it on individual channels, and even there I don't like it.
Chrisma wrote:Wait until he releases his new reverb before you write off. You just wanna might change your mind.

:wink:
Now is that fanboism or something else? Why does everybody want to change my mind about these plugins?

They're just more convenient than going the old way. I mean, if you know how, you can even pull off a chorus with a delay! So eduardo_b is kinda speaking for me in this case, too. If you have the knowledge, simply do it.

Still, for some things, these plugins seem to work. But then again... if I look at one of Germany's biggest engineering studios: Cologne - Studio 301. Only like 8 comps, 4 major FX modules, 2 Lexicon Reverbs, 1 transient designer, like 3-4 channelstrips additional to the SSL console.

Do I really need like 20 different compressors, sound designers, special LF enhancers, exciters, gates, EQs and the likes to pull of a production? Some say "yes" - I do say "no". Does that make my productions boring?

Speaking of so called "pro" plugins. Waves in my opinion is nothing more worth than Kjaerhus, but cost 10 times as much. Not that much in one of the many bundles, but still. They're nothing special and I despise them (not counting the API/SSL/Neve Series, which're just overpriced as you pay for 2 names!) except for MaxxBass (bass enhancer), the Deesser (which is acutally really cool and IMO one of the best to use) and Rennaisance Compressor (FET and Opto Comp). But do they really need to cost like 300-500bucks for 5 plugins or something?

Oh and the thing that BootsieEQ and NastyCS - somebody "claimed" that these things are on the same level as a Neve and SLL, but personally I don't think so. Especially for Neve. The GUI from NastyCS looks like a Neve desk, but that's about it.

I "might" get back to NastyCS and, as I said, Rescue for mastering maybe. But like I said... I can pull off the same stuff with what I have - only with more plugins though.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

shogger wrote:Man, what's the problem? Don't be insecure! Use what works for you and don't use what doesn't cut it for you.
Refuse to bow to the hype or pro or whatever pressure. It's not easy but possible.
This is also the thing I'm asking from time to time in here, shogger. Are you a worse engineer because you DON'T use Waves or a firm like that?

shogger wrote: P.S. My plugins are better than yours! :lol: :band2: :hug:
ORLY?! NO WAI! XD
shogger wrote: Los Mann, lach mal! :hihi:

*ich MUSS das Foto speichern - zu geil*
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

NEKRO.MACHINE wrote:
eduardo_b wrote:
Yes i think so, i had an e-mail from digi about paying now for a pre-order upgrade but that was about it and i did not investigate any further because i wont be going v8.0 until the new year as having two kids and playing Santa is brutal on the wallet :shock:
I have a free upgrade coming when it's released, which I understood was early December. Not that I don't have enough to keep me busy. :)
BTW: Had any look or trouble with the UAD card plug-ins using the FXpansion adaptor out of intrest?
Works well. Sorry for not getting back and letting you know. Great tip. I assume it will work the same with 8.0.

Lotuzia wrote:Might be there's a tiny curvy path between love and knowledge.

but, sometimes, you fall in love and you know why :-o and even, yes, you can share it with other people. :hug:

Of course, and fortunately, this only applies to Vstis, and only under certain limited circumstances 8)

Ltz
Ltz i am not accusing you here friend :) (although you could well be part to blame as i haven't read through the threads regarding this one ;) ) it appears Sylenth1 is the current whore in the vsti love department :hihi: and virtual instrument's do seem to spark off much more intense debates and very violent virtual relationships :lol: having said that T-RackS 3 is rubbing many up the wrong way it seems (Compy friend i know you yourself feel f**ked up the ass with the upgrade 'offer' and dont think its a fair deal either FWIW mate)

Domestic VSTi Violence: its all the rage :P

Compyfox wrote:Now is that fanboism or something else? Why does everybody want to change my mind about these plugins?

Still, for some things, these plugins seem to work. But then again... if I look at one of Germany's biggest engineering studios: Cologne - Studio 301. Only like 8 comps, 4 major FX modules, 2 Lexicon Reverbs, 1 transient designer, like 3-4 channelstrips additional to the SSL console.

Do I really need like 20 different compressors, sound designers, special LF enhancers, exciters, gates, EQs and the likes to pull of a production? Some say "yes" - I do say "no". Does that make my productions boring?
What's your point? Do you wanna change somebodies minds with that? It's taste, hype, experience, knowledge, personal preferance, etc. Not a must if your not under some industry pressure. If you are, no one can help you with that anyway. You believe what you want to.
Use what does it to you. Or have a nice fight at KvR. Have fun either way. :) 8)

Shogger
What?

shogger wrote:Refuse to bow to the hype or pro or whatever pressure. It's not easy but possible.
To some degree I think it's part of the missing out syndrome (also known as grass is greener anxiety). :) Somebody starts talking about a plug you don't have and suddenly life will be incomplete without it. :hihi:

After a while, you begin to realize how many of these must-have plugs are just the same wheel being reinvented again. Still try them, but don't feel compelled to store them all in the plug-ins folder.

NEKRO.MACHINE wrote:Domestic VSTi Violence: its all the rage :P
Let's go to the streets and f*cking riot! :lol:

Return to “Effects”