Is it just me, or do bootsie's plugins don't do the trick...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Compyfox wrote:
shogger wrote:Man, what's the problem? Don't be insecure! Use what works for you and don't use what doesn't cut it for you.
Refuse to bow to the hype or pro or whatever pressure. It's not easy but possible.
This is also the thing I'm asking from time to time in here, shogger. Are you a worse engineer because you DON'T use Waves or a firm like that?
Yes, I am! How about you? :P Mucho, mucho worse!!! I always laugh about the Waves commercial phrases that come to my inbox. Stuff like (paraphrazed) Now sound is affordable! Blablasbla .... :roll: :hihi: :x 8)
Compyfox wrote:Image

*ich MUSS das Foto speichern - zu geil*
Zu fett! Auch gespeichert! :tu:

Shogger
What?

eduardo_b wrote:
shogger wrote:Refuse to bow to the hype or pro or whatever pressure. It's not easy but possible.
To some degree I think it's part of the missing out syndrome (also known as grass is greener anxiety). :) Somebody starts talking about a plug you don't have and suddenly life will be incomplete without it. :hihi:

After a while, you begin to realize how many of these must-have plugs are just the same wheel being reinvented again. Still try them, but don't feel compelled to store them all in the plug-ins folder.
Yes eduardo,

BTW, how many of them did you really buy recently? I saw you in quite some of those threads lusting after them recently... ! :hihi: :love:

Shogger

P.S. I point at me with that finger, don't worry. 8)
What?

shogger wrote:
eduardo_b wrote:
shogger wrote:Refuse to bow to the hype or pro or whatever pressure. It's not easy but possible.
To some degree I think it's part of the missing out syndrome (also known as grass is greener anxiety). :) Somebody starts talking about a plug you don't have and suddenly life will be incomplete without it. :hihi:

After a while, you begin to realize how many of these must-have plugs are just the same wheel being reinvented again. Still try them, but don't feel compelled to store them all in the plug-ins folder.
Yes eduardo,

BTW, how many of them did you really buy recently? I saw you in quite some of those threads lusting after them recently... ! :hihi: :love:

Shogger

P.S. I point at me with that finger, don't worry. 8)
I passed on the Vienna Suite...only was interested in a few of the plugs and didn't want to buy them all. A 50-inch plasma and blu-ray player also altered my spending priorities...for now. :)
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

Compyfox wrote:
NEKRO.MACHINE wrote:Domestic VSTi Violence: its all the rage :P
Let's go to the streets and f*cking riot! :lol:
LMFAO too funny man :lol:

eduardo_b wrote:I passed on the Vienna Suite...only was interested in a few of the plugs and didn't want to buy them all. A 50-inch plasma and blu-ray player also altered my spending priorities...for now. :)
Hehe,

happy blue-raying then! :D

Shogger
What?

Compyfox wrote:
And the NastySeries in general... it's basically a lowfreq/hifreq exciter - a thing that clas can do, except for the boost and the volume compensation. But do you really need such a thing? Can't you do that with proper EQ and compression, too?

I would say what many would consider vintage on a on-hands experience varies from user to user.

Many praise Pultecs & Fairchild as offering a vintage sound however, for those that were not born with a gold spoon in their mouth that vintage sound is usually any old piece hardware that they used when they were starting out.

With the abundance of plug-ins offered today, many of the higher end plug-ins may not offer the sound that the user is aiming for. Especially when the sound they are looking for is more to wards the vintage Equalisers that were not considered professional to those that had Pultecs, API or Abbey Roads racked up in their studio.

I would say many who came from hardware only recordings in their bedrooms are still looking for that particular "tone" that came from multiple hardware wired properly and, improperly.

A perfect example is those that must have every compressor possible whereas others it is reverbs. The background of the user and, experience with certain types of equipment will steer him/her to wards certain plug-ins where others may not feel they are important.

Cheers!
OMNIFEX

14.8 GB Of VST Effects And Growing By The Moment :D

OMNIFEX wrote:I would say many who came from hardware only recordings in their bedrooms are still looking for that particular "tone" that came from multiple hardware wired properly and, improperly.

A perfect example is those that must have every compressor possible whereas others it is reverbs. The background of the user and, experience with certain types of equipment will steer him/her to wards certain plug-ins where others may not feel they are important.
Good comments that point to factors well beyond the obvious "vintage" features of retro plugs. Reading the comments of audio engineers each month in Sound On Sound, it's obvious they rarely use many plug-ins when they have racks of outboard gear, particularly pre-amps and compressors. As you note, those who live in a hardware world have different experiences compared to those who have always worked in the box and have nothing else to go by.
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

Compyfox wrote:[
Now is that fanboism or something else? Why does everybody want to change my mind about these plugins?
Whats this fanboism? Not really trying to change your mind either. Don't really care what you use homie...:lol: I just find the plugin useful was sharing my experience with you. As far at the reverb is concerned I've been beta testing it and also find it very useful. :D

realism versus idealism

do they do not? i think they does
"Most people who experiment with drugs are not lying in the streets, suffocating on their own vomit. If you want to see some of that, go to the Pub on Saturday night at closing time." ozwest

if i don't like a plugin.. i don't make a dedicate post on this

puah...

I tried the Bootsie plugs a bit and they didn't do much for me either, but I don't have golden ears or anything. Many of them were far too subtle for me, although, some of them had some nice presets and had some uses, but I could probably do without them, I don't get too excited about many vintage designs though, and also prefer something like FL's Parmametric EQ 2 to get things done quickly on EQ (great real-time visuals and easily adjustable). I get a bit confused about all the hype over these plugs, they look great, but the sound hasn't impressed me really. Nothing wrong with them if others love them, and certainly no knock on the developer at all, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one who isn't dazzled.

Again, my particular tastes and preferences are not a knock on the developer or what appeals to others. Use what works for you.

After reading 3 pages of posts I'm still wondering what's the point ?
You don't like certain plugins - don't use them and all's good.
Taste, style, workflow and experience differ massively.
Personally I hardly have a need for a standalone filter (other than fixed HP/LP) or a trance gate for example, so I stay out of related threads.
Just for the record, I'm using bootsie's plugs regularly alongside UAD and SSL, they provide very useful alternatives on a comparable quality level imho, man, we would have killed for FX of that calibre a few years ago, regardless of price.
That said, they sure are not for everyone. :shrug:
The denser a mix, the less obvious finer nuances become, though in the end result they do matter when used wisely.
Ymmv,
susiwong

personally i love the bootsie EQ a lotand its free, thx for the hard work bootsie

A real world example :
Let's take NastyCS.
I see this basically as a combination of the best features of several classic EQs (Pultec's dual bass controls, the shiny, no brainer treble of a 1073 and the mid bands of the 1081 thrown in for good measure).
This combination which afaik is not available elsewhere works wonders on all material that doesn't need surgical corrections and the results tend to sound organic and "invisible" in most cases. Important for non-synthetic material.
For radical changes look elsewhere.
The limiter and saturation circuits are an added bonus you could see as separate plugins, use them with or without the EQ, or use the EQ with or without limiter and saturation.
And in direct comparison with UA, I won't start splitting hairs here, the high band of NastyCS imho is much closer to UA's 1073 than the high band of UA's own 1081, similar for the other bands, so that's close enough in my book.
Whether you like those characteristics and the whole concept at all is your individual decision.
Ymmv, and that's a good thing,
Cheers,
susiwong

Return to “Effects”