Redline Monitor - how does it work?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dj! (112dB) wrote:In a nutshell, yes. The Distance control is intended to simulate physical distance of your ears from the ghost nearfields. Don't take this too literally though--it won't sound the same as monitors in a room, not in the least because Redline Monitor intentionally doesn't model a room (as in early reflections). IMHO it doesn't make sense to first spend tons of money and effort on acoustic treatment to eliminate early reflections as much as possible, only to reintroduce them through a mastering plugin. :)

In short: the Soundstage and Center Level shd be adjusted to match your monitor setup as closely as possible, Distance is more of "season to taste" type control. In fact for perfectly linear response set it to Off.

-- dj!
Cool, thanks! :D

Whenn it was first introduced it was very buggy. Has it settled down now?
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

Maybe I missed this bit of info but do you do the final mix with the Redline Monitor on and effecting the master track or is it used just as reference while mixing and then is to be shut off/bypassed while mixing down to the final? Just a little confused.
agent
Ableton-Moog-Spectrasonics-Native Instruments-Propellerhead-CamelAudio-LennarDigital-2CAudio-Renoise-Korg-JoMoX-MOTU-PeterTools-FXpansion-IK Multimedia-Fabfilter-Vinyl/Tape

A new maintenance release will be made available tmr and shd fix all reported bugs. If there's still a problem do let us know and I'll get right on it--it's hard to fix smt when you don't know it's broken. :)

Redline Monitor is strictly a nearfield simulation for headphones so shd really only be enabled when you're listening through headphones, so as a reference for mixing. You could perform a mixdown through it for special purposes--making a special iPod mix, for example--but in general it shd be switched off for the final mixdown and when listening through nearfields. (As has been remarked earlier in this thread, the Control Room in Cubase/Nuendo makes this process pretty easy.)

-- dj!
Morgana | Redline Series | Big Blue Series

I need to do that Control Room thang! :shock:

I've had no bugs whatsoever with this release, FWIW. :)

dj! (112dB) wrote:A new maintenance release will be made available tmr and shd fix all reported bugs. If there's still a problem do let us know and I'll get right on it--it's hard to fix smt when you don't know it's broken. :)

Redline Monitor is strictly a nearfield simulation for headphones so shd really only be enabled when you're listening through headphones, so as a reference for mixing. You could perform a mixdown through it for special purposes--making a special iPod mix, for example--but in general it shd be switched off for the final mixdown and when listening through nearfields. (As has been remarked earlier in this thread, the Control Room in Cubase/Nuendo makes this process pretty easy.)

-- dj!
Thanks and I'll try the new release. Will the demo also be updated. I was having problems with the demo version crashing with the latest release of Tracktion and win xp sp3
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

Integratron wrote:Thanks and I'll try the new release. Will the demo also be updated. I was having problems with the demo version crashing with the latest release of Tracktion and win xp sp3
Yes, the demo will be updated simultaneously with the release. To be honest I wasn't aware of your particular problem, but there was an issue with Tracktion in OSX (now fixed). So hopefully the new build will also amend your problems. If not, drop me a line and we'll troubleshoot right away.

Take care,

-- dj!

When the dust have settled - how are you people using Redline Monitor? Is it a keeper?

DrGonzo wrote:When the dust have settled - how are you people using Redline Monitor? Is it a keeper?
I've had this for quite a while now. I said it then, and I'll say it again . . . it's absolutley essential (IMO) for the 'home-recording' Artist!

I don't do any special settings. It's either ON or OFF! I like that the default settings are dfferent to my actual monitors. Then I can listen from a different perspective!

I would like it to have some presets though. For example: Some beastly Bass Bin simulation, to test my mixes with! I did ask, but received no reply to my e-mail! Perhaps I didn't state what I wanted clearly enough! :shrug:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

It's in my template folder and gets switched on whenever I put on the headphones. It's very clear to hear a different if you got a broad mix and really makes everything nicer on headphones.

Forgive me if covered, but has anybody tried this and the SPL 2Control with its crossfeed control feature? I know there's a vast price difference and I will be strung up for mentioning hardware but it does seem to be a good thing to compare to (hint- could show this as a much cheaper alternative and save folks $500 ;) )

Aloysius wrote:I've had this for quite a while now. I said it then, and I'll say it again . . . it's absolutley essential (IMO) for the 'home-recording' Artist!
I can only say thanks & great to hear that!
I would like it to have some presets though. For example: Some beastly Bass Bin simulation, to test my mixes with! I did ask, but received no reply to my e-mail! Perhaps I didn't state what I wanted clearly enough! :shrug:
Not sure what happened there, sorry about that & I'll double check my inbox if perhaps I overlooked it or just forgot to reply. You'll hear from me!

Take care,

-- dj!

Well, as I have to use headphones nearly all of the time, this plugin is extremely useful for me! And the 1.01 version runs bugfree on all of my hosts. Superb!

How do I get a demo key? I used my email address for the download, waited an hour or two, but nothing. Then emailed your support address last night, and still nothing.

Please tell me I don't have to wait until Monday morning for a human to process my key?!

I demand instant gratification! :P

It should be automatically sent as an attachment to the email address you provided. It was in my case.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Return to “Effects”