Redline Monitor - how does it work?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for Your reply.
I had in mind central phantom image (M/S), not distance button. If I set central button on -1.5dB, sound becomes thin and sharp and bass is weak. The sound isn't linear any more.
Last edited by Pule on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

What are you listening on Pule? I didn't get that impression on my AKG 240DF. I get just the right amount of bass even with -2dB. Actually I prefer ~-2dB more than -1.5dB.

Thanks for including the "distance off" DJEX, much appreciated. I think I'm gonna fork out for this one... I think it could be very useful in some other ways, too... hmmm :). Very cool.

Thanks!

and thanks for the really useful demo period.

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

HD600 and hi end A class head. amp.
"Distance" doesn't work for me,too.

So it seems some will find this plug-in more useful than others will. No news here.
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

Pule wrote:Thanks for Your reply.
I had in mind central phantom image (M/S), not distance button. If I set central button on -1.5dB, sound becomes thin and sharp and bass is weak. The sound isn't linear any more.
One thing I can think of is that the material you're experiencing this with has some phase issue--the Center control does not affect the frequency response in any way. What happens if you set the Center to 0dB but engage Mono?

-- dj!
Morgana | Redline Series | Big Blue Series

dj! (112dB) wrote:
Pule wrote:Thanks for Your reply.
One thing I can think of is that the material you're experiencing this with has some phase issue--the Center control does not affect the frequency response in any way. What happens if you set the Center to 0dB but engage Mono?

-- dj!
I'd bet this is just a question of stereo image in the original audio: if most of the bass is mixed more or less mono (as one would do for various reasons with many modern genres) then cutting the mid-channel will naturally cut the bass as well.. because it lives in the middle.

I suppose one could add a sub-woofer in the model: do a crossover at something like 80-120Hz (or whatever) and only do the processing above the cutoff (and maybe downmix the bass to mono to simulate what happens in a setup where there's a single mono-sub).

dj! (112dB) wrote:

-- dj!

In mono everything sounds OK, but.... I checked center control with stereo white noise and FFT analyser. When I put center control to -3dB and 30', freq. response is +-10dB?! +-5dB above/below 2 kHz.
When I put center control to zero and 90', freq. response is almost even.

briliant! exactly what I expected! :) finally a tool to check your mixes @midnight with all sleeping neighbours. the translation is almost perfect to me - immediatelly fixed a 4kHz problem in a song I was fighting with for 3 days. sennheiser hd280pro here but with a plugin like this I'm seriously considering akg k701. big fat kudos to 112db! (having so nice memories from Utrecht! :))
rosvosektoriile

Pule wrote:In mono everything sounds OK, but.... I checked center control with stereo white noise and FFT analyser. When I put center control to -3dB and 30', freq. response is +-10dB?! +-5dB above/below 2 kHz. When I put center control to zero and 90', freq. response is almost even.
I don't think you can properly check the frequency response of a M/S processor using stereo white noise. Try a sine sweep or a dedicated analyzer tool like VST Plugin Analizer (http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1287.html) instead, and you'll find the frequency response is flat as a ruler. (In the meantime let me think about the technical reason for this, it's still early and I haven't even finished my first coffee yet. :))

Take care,

-- dj!
Morgana | Redline Series | Big Blue Series

DJ

This time I measured MIXED LR channels, and freq. graph. is very even....

dj! (112dB) wrote:
Pule wrote:In mono everything sounds OK, but.... I checked center control with stereo white noise and FFT analyser. When I put center control to -3dB and 30', freq. response is +-10dB?! +-5dB above/below 2 kHz. When I put center control to zero and 90', freq. response is almost even.
I don't think you can properly check the frequency response of a M/S processor using stereo white noise. Try a sine sweep or a dedicated analyzer tool like VST Plugin Analizer (http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1287.html) instead, and you'll find the frequency response is flat as a ruler. (In the meantime let me think about the technical reason for this, it's still early and I haven't even finished my first coffee yet. :))

Take care,

-- dj!

great tool thx
Now go and get that coffee I cannot even talk till Ive had 2 cups in the morning
and nothing less than Lavazza will do.
Last edited by minx on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anyone else getting a nasty crackling noise as soon as the plugin is opened? (AMD Athlon XP2800+(2.08Ghz), 1.5Gb RAM, Emu 1212m, ATI Radeon 9600XT, Cubase SX3)

(EDIT: please ignore - I've taken this to the 112db forum)
Last edited by Frantiac on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interesting tool.

TBH I was a bit sceptical about this - I've tried a couple of other plugs that claim to do the same thing and I didn't find any of them particularly convincing (I didn't think much of that HDPHX thing, I'm afraid). I'm by no means an expert on monitoring, as I'd be the first to admit, but I think this is rather good.

It's crashed Reaper a couple of times, though. Nothing dramatic - no hanging, no BSOD - but sometimes when I instantiate the plug it closes Reaper instantly (Reaper v2.55, XP SP2, P4, as much RAM as I can cram in...) Impressively, Redline Monitor knows about this: when I re-start Reaper the plug brings up a dialogue box inviting me to report the problem. But my DAW isn't connected to the 'net - I use a different machine for surfing - so I can't :(

P.S. Nice to see a developer taking such an enlightened approach to the customer: simple, uninvasive copy-protection...decent demo period...

@dj

Please implement more mixing features like a radio or ipod earplugs switch. This would be one of the most useful features ever.

The plug crashed in Tracktion 3.0.4.8.
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

Return to “Effects”