Cuda convolution reverb (Reverberate LE)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

liquidsonics wrote:I agree, so I'm doing some work in this area too, see http://www.liquidsonics.com/software_reverberate.htm which adds some movement to the sound by having two IRs and mixing between them
Too cool!!! :)
having a chorus and also having an oversampled EQ with modulation.
Perhaps you could allow the chorus to function as a modulation delay, as well?
I *think* the GPU isn't going to offer many benefits here, working in the frequency domain is pretty cheap once you've done the FFT, but who knows what ideas might come up.
Might the GPU be more beneficial if you implement s_t's idea of dividing to hundreds of FFT's?
You could try just snipping the crop window down to a small size to check efficiency using small impulse responses since the plugin only calculates the element of the IR it needs to, so a huge but windowed IR should be more efficient.
Great, I'll try this. I didn't realize this would have an impact.
I don't think they're as focused on achieving low latency (an ultimate prime goal of mine since my UAD latency really irritates me).
As a UAD user myself, I have to admit that the latency really doesn't bother me all that much. That said, given the choice of more or less latency, I would of course always choose less latency which is why I've been using the CPU version of your plug-in. One thing I forgot to mention is that Cubase seems (at least in the previous version of Reverberate) to not find both versions at the same time. Is there a way to change this?

Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote:this already exists, it's named nebula, works on CUDA, and eats hundreds or thousands of IRs at once, with and without distortion kernels with a little CPU and GPU impact!
Unless I've missed something, one issue with Nebula is that it doesn't load standard IR's. Is this correct? Will it ever change?

I've found the bug with Phrazor, thanks for pointing it out marce.

Uncle E could you re-check the cubase issue and post a bit more info, the versions of the plugins and Cubase that you're using as I've never had an issue myself there.

I'll post an update in a few days once I've wrapped up these issues and added the IR selection dials. Thanks all.

Uncle E wrote:
Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote:this already exists, it's named nebula, works on CUDA, and eats hundreds or thousands of IRs at once, with and without distortion kernels with a little CPU and GPU impact!
Unless I've missed something, one issue with Nebula is that it doesn't load standard IR's. Is this correct? Will it ever change?
I've also had this kind of issue in the past with Nebula and external IR libraries, also I've wanted to edit the envelopes and apply filters etc which never seemed obviously assessible to me, but perhaps I missed something.

about editing and loading irs you are right: Nebula allows it but is an hidden feature.
For a chours you need a lot of IRs, so it's better if you sample it. You can't manage manually 500 or 1000 IRs. So everything is automatic. You sample a chorus and you play it!

Hey I made a thread for you after visiting your site http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-co ... loper.html rock on! :)

Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote:about editing and loading irs you are right: Nebula allows it but is an hidden feature.
Could you clarify that? How do we load other IR's? Can it load all wav, aiff, and sd2 files?

Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote:about editing and loading irs you are right: Nebula allows it but is an hidden feature.
For a chours you need a lot of IRs, so it's better if you sample it. You can't manage manually 500 or 1000 IRs. So everything is automatic. You sample a chorus and you play it!
And for this purpose Nebula is really cool and does a very good job, so I think we're pitching in two different parks to be honest. I want to put something out there that provides people with just static impulse responses from many diverse resources an option to liven up the sound a little.

And cheers Cooker :)

One thing I forgot to mention is that Cubase seems (at least in the previous version of Reverberate) to not find both versions at the same time. Is there a way to change this?
Changing the name of one of the DLLs usually work.

Best,
midi.

Midi_Glider wrote:
One thing I forgot to mention is that Cubase seems (at least in the previous version of Reverberate) to not find both versions at the same time. Is there a way to change this?
Best,
midi.
I'm a bit puzzled by this, the dlls are different names 'Reverberate LE (GPU Edition).dll' and 'Reverberate LE.dll' and they have a different plug-in id. Anybody else got this issue? If so, what hosts?

liquidsonics wrote:
Midi_Glider wrote:
Best,
midi.
I'm a bit puzzled by this, the dlls are different names 'Reverberate LE (GPU Edition).dll' and 'Reverberate LE.dll' and they have a different plug-in id. Anybody else got this issue? If so, what hosts?

Well, that's because Cubase would usually only look at the first section of a plugin name (till the first space break) in order to decide if it should treat the DLL as a singular version of a plugin or not.

So, for example:

'Reverberate LE' and 'Reverberate LE (GPU Edition)' would be treated as the same plugin (regardless of id) because they are identical up until the first name space breake (i.e. 'Reverberate').

Alternatively, if you name them as : 'ReverberateLE' and 'ReverberateLE(GPU Edition)'. each would be considered a singular plugin version.

Hopes it makes some sense... :help:

Best,
midi.

Midi_Glider wrote: Well, that's because Cubase would usually only look at the first section of a plugin name (till the first space break) in order to decide if it should treat the DLL as a singular version of a plugin or not.
I didn't know that, and have never experienced it before either, but I'll remove the spaces to avoid any such problems in future, so thanks for the tip :) Uncle E could you try this trick out and let me know if it fixes your issue please?

Uncle E wrote:
Could you clarify that? How do we load other IR's? Can it load all wav, aiff, and sd2 files?
it opens wav files. Ask in our forums, we OT now.

liquidsonics wrote: And for this purpose Nebula is really cool and does a very good job, so I think we're pitching in two different parks to be honest. I want to put something out there that provides people with just static impulse responses from many diverse resources an option to liven up the sound a little.
I understand :)

I've posted an update to address a few of the issues raised and added a nice little extra to the CPU version.

- Latency: I've added a zero latency mode to the CPU version. I can't do this in the GPU version yet. (Uncle E will probably think the GPU edition is even more pointless now ;)). The zero latency mode should work in any host (some of them such as FL sometimes use odd buffer sizes but that shouldn't be a problem).

- File selection: I've added left/right arrows near the eject button to switch files in the current directory making auditioning IRs a bit more fluid.

- .dll naming: I've removed the spaces from the plugin names. This means it might be necessary to re-scan the VST directory, depending on the host used.

- Phrazor: I've modified the load sequence so this now should load without a problem. However a re-scan of the plugin directory is going to be necessary (I couldn't see where to do this, but manually pointing to the desired .dll file and loading it seemed to work). I'm half expecting further bug reports here since this is a new host for me.

If anybody spots any issues let me know. Thanks to everybody that's helped out so far.

Matt

Return to “Effects”