2C-Aether Reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Aether

Galbanum wrote:Re CPU usage, we are well aware this is the number one request regarding Aether and B2. We've been working on it, and have some promising results internally... no ETA yet, as the nature of team dynamics and dependancies always makes predicting deadlines extremely challenging so I have learned (I think) not to make predictions for things that I am not personally 100% in control of. That said, we do have highly promising results internally. Hopefully we will be able to share them shortly. :tu:
Cubase Pro 9. I get the same behavior in B2. If it helps you can hop on my machien via teamviewer to check out the details, if that's quicker for you.

Augren wrote:I'm getting vastly different CPU load behaviors depending on where the plugin is inserted (as an insert or as a send effect, same signal going into the plugin, same preset).
I'm on OSX Sierra.

Is this known behavior? If not, what do you need from me so you can track down the cause?

Cheers
Markus
Augren wrote: Cubase Pro 9. I get the same behavior in B2. If it helps you can hop on my machien via teamviewer to check out the details, if that's quicker for you.

I think what you are seeing here is the nature of the Cubase VST meter. The cubase VST meter basically attempts to measure "how close you are to experiencing dropouts". Dropouts will occur as soon as ONE core has CPU usage that is over (or even too close to ) 100%. But it does not necessarily tell you how many cores you have and what activity is happening on these other cores. It communicates only what the max is for a single core. This is accurate and it is not. It is accurate in that if you go over 100% on one core you WILL get dropouts even if all other cores are doing nothing. It is NOT accurate in the sense that if you load a high CPU usage plugin and it takes say 75% of a single core, the VST meter will show 75% and this would suggest you will not be able to load anything else on the multi-core CPU. This is probably NOT true. If you had a 10 core cpu, you should be able to load 9 more instances or so on different tracks, without dropouts and the VST meter should basically not change.

VST Meter measures max CPU usage on a single core.

When you use instrument tracks with most hosts with the host will generally put the instrument and any plugs on that instrument track on the same CPU core for various reasons. Same with audio tracks actually. Usually everything on a single track is processed on the same core AFAIK.

When you put the FX on a send/bus instead of directly on the instrument track the host/OS can put it on a different CPU core/thread.

So CPU usage is the same more or less in both cases, but in the first case you have all the load on one core, and in the second you have the load spread across multiple cores. And becuase the VST meter reports the max load on a single core, it shows higher in the first case. Whether or not this is completely accurate depends on what else you try to load in the session.

So basically it is better to load Aether and B2 on FX/send/Buss/Group tracks. :tu:

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the explanation.
I'm using an I7-4870HQ with 4 physical cores (and 4 virtual ones) in an MBP. Any further tips on getting the most out of it - other than going for plugins on separate busses instead of inserts on the instruments themselves?
Cubase and OSX specific tips appreciated!

You also can turn oversampling "1X off" and modulation to "balanced" in the settings (info).
I use in general just no oversampling for live input and i prefer to use it offline.
I can go much further this way and the different is mostly not so huge (sometimes).

Augren wrote:Thanks for the explanation.
I'm using an I7-4870HQ with 4 physical cores (and 4 virtual ones) in an MBP. Any further tips on getting the most out of it - other than going for plugins on separate busses instead of inserts on the instruments themselves?
Cubase and OSX specific tips appreciated!

set the real-time OS setting to "1x" on the INFO page of the GUI.

be sure the Interpolation setting is set to "1 - Excellence"

Cubase is the host I use personally for my music BTW. :tu:

Yes, Cinbient beat me to it, and also he makes a good point regarding modulation. Set it to "Balanced" in Aether.

In B2, try to aovid the "XTRM" density/diffusion setting. It is called "Extreme" for a reason. ;-)

Galbanum wrote:Yes, Cinbient beat me to it, and also he makes a good point regarding modulation. Set it to "Balanced" in Aether.

In B2, try to aovid the "XTRM" density/diffusion setting. It is called "Extreme" for a reason. ;-)
But it sounds extreme good for sure :D

Much obliged!

The "Musical - Chamber" space is simply amazing sounding. Incredibly musical medium sized space for a wide range of source material.

Aether would be my "desert island" reverb for sure :)
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Hello, where could I download the latest version of the Aether manual, please? I fear that my manual is not updated; do I need to download the entire software again?

XComposer wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:49 pm Hello, where could I download the latest version of the Aether manual, please? I fear that my manual is not updated; do I need to download the entire software again?
It can be downloaded from the product page: https://www.2caudio.com/sitecontent/pro ... Manual.pdf
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Thank you very much! I had lost it and for some reason I didn't see the link myself to download it again. Thank you.

Return to “Effects”