Difference between soft-clippers and compressors?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kim (esoundz) wrote:
eduardo_b wrote:
Kim (esoundz) wrote:Oh, for crying out loud...
:lol:
:hihi:

I just thought that someone who doesn't know the difference between a clipper and a compressor is someone who doesn't understand some fundamentals about dynamics processing. And the first response goes into algorithmic detail about the difference between linear transfer functions and non-linear transfer functions, and why linear filters become non-linear filters when controlled by non-linear filters.

And then the second response is about functions that map instantaneous input to instantaneous output.

This for a person who doesn't understand why a compressor isn't a clipper.

-Kim.
Lmao haha:P I must say I had a little laugh myself:P

I do know a limiter is a compressor with pretty much infinite ratio though.. I am not a moron when it comes to audio processing.. It was just the soft- clipper thing that I've never really looked into at all, apart from recent time when I've discovered the very transparent limiting effect it has, and was wondering what it actually did to the signal, compared to a compressor with high ratio. But ofcourse.. when you think about it.. the difference is a compressor wouldn't make a static curve on the transient like a soft-clipper does, but a curve dependent on the shape of the input signal (thats over threshold). Thats the finite answer to my question, and I came up with it myself :D

Thankz ya'll! :)

eduardo_b wrote:I was also wondering which ones, in particular, are used by the Kimster.
Interesting question... because I don't use any straight clippers. :hihi:

For individual tracks, I use am-track's tape section. Not because it's supposed to be modelled on tape, but because it's an interesting-sounding limiter/clipper.

For mastering, I exclusively use the T-RackS classic multiband limiter. I set it with minimum release and maximum overload. Reading that, you'd think that'd sound quite harsh, but it's actually the most transparent way of using it I find. Minimum release reduces the sound of the digital limiting (which I hate) because the gain reduction is applied less of the time. Maximum overload blends limiting with clipping - further reducing the sound of digital limiting because there's less gain reduction applied. Because it's multiband, the clipping produces less intermodulation distortion, meaning it preserves the signal integrity better than single-band clippers. Keep in mind though that this works because I use it ONLY to reduce the peaks without reducing the average level. If it starts to reduce the average level, then I'm applying too much.

The only time I remember the T-RackS multiband limiter not being sufficient I think I used it to reduce the peaks down to +3dBfs (instead of the usual 0dBfs). I then used the T-RackS brickwall limiter on one of the "advanced" modes (which I think blends limiting and clipping as well!) to reduce the final 3dB.

Disclosure: I have a professional relationship with IK Multimedia.

-Kim.

BobSlot wrote: The sum is what someone already said that a clipper is a compressor with instant attack and instant release, and a soft clipper can be compared to a soft knee compressor with instant attack and release.
Not really, cause the output signal of the compressor is still dependent on how the input signal looks.. Its just compressing it.. not waveshaping it like a clipper. :)

Kim (esoundz) wrote:
eduardo_b wrote:I was also wondering which ones, in particular, are used by the Kimster.
Interesting question... because I don't use any straight clippers. :hihi:

For individual tracks, I use am-track's tape section. Not because it's supposed to be modelled on tape, but because it's an interesting-sounding limiter/clipper.

For mastering, I exclusively use the T-RackS classic multiband limiter. I set it with minimum release and maximum overload. Reading that, you'd think that'd sound quite harsh, but it's actually the most transparent way of using it I find. Minimum release reduces the sound of the digital limiting (which I hate) because the gain reduction is applied less of the time. Maximum overload blends limiting with clipping - further reducing the sound of digital limiting because there's less gain reduction applied. Because it's multiband, the clipping produces less intermodulation distortion, meaning it preserves the signal integrity better than single-band clippers. Keep in mind though that this works because I use it ONLY to reduce the peaks without reducing the average level. If it starts to reduce the average level, then I'm applying too much.

The only time I remember the T-RackS multiband limiter not being sufficient I think I used it to reduce the peaks down to +3dBfs (instead of the usual 0dBfs). I then used the T-RackS brickwall limiter on one of the "advanced" modes (which I think blends limiting and clipping as well!) to reduce the final 3dB.

Disclosure: I have a professional relationship with IK Multimedia.

-Kim.
Thanks for sharing!

I'll be as kind as to post a link to a guy who also has some brilliant tips on limiting techniques.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much- ... pping.html

this thread is comedy gold. for nerds.

what do you guys think of stillwell's event horizon? from what i can deduce it is a hard clipper/limiter with an adjustable soft clip circuit and can be used either as--

1)A limiter w/ soft clipping ability
2)A soft clipper
3)A hard clipper w/ soft clipping ability

Return to “Effects”