Lets make a List of native plugins that replace UAD...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

4damind wrote:Mmh... However, the Waves CLA 76 is very nice and the complete bundle with all 3 plugins (LA-2A, LA-3A, 1176 black and blue) is cheaper as the UAD plugins (if bought eg. from http://plugindiscounts.com)
So you think its the pricing that made people 'anti-Waves' as a company???

Interesting......
No, that Glitch is meant to be there.....
http://soundcloud.com/punisha
http://www.myspace.com/punishadubs

Grain Bastard wrote:
4damind wrote:Mmh... However, the Waves CLA 76 is very nice and the complete bundle with all 3 plugins (LA-2A, LA-3A, 1176 black and blue) is cheaper as the UAD plugins (if bought eg. from http://plugindiscounts.com)

Interesting......
Yes, I think pricing is a big factor.

Can anyone play this 'replace the UAD' game????

I think I know the rules, you simply blurt out a plugin you own, preferably from one of the 'good-guy developers' or one from a company you are affiliated to and match it by category to a UAD plugin.

So errr, here goes :-

UAD Fatso - Steinberg Magneto....

Hang-on Steiny are bad, wait I got it.... That chap who did the Blockfish plugs, yeah he was popular round here so what about his Transient Designer plug to the UAD one.

Its free too so I must get a prize.

bmanic wrote: Perhaps you don't like the saturation that was emulated in the Softube? This is the only weakness of the plugin, imho. I'd like to be able to turn it off. As it is now, it's constantly on which means that when you want to really slam the compressor, you always get the added saturation on top (the transformer modelling).

The UA 1176LN is clean as a whistle.. no modelling of the transformers at all, which makes it a bit more suitable for certain tasks.

Cheers!
bManic
Could very well be what hit me. I likely started with slamming the compressor (just a stupid ritual..) and didn't like what i heard compared to how UAD handled it. I'll give it some more realistic testing on some real material.

Cheers :)

Grain Bastard wrote:

Interesting......
Often its the pricing, yes. Waves is not cheap, if you see the prices on their homepage. But this are not the reseller prices which can be to 40% of the Waves price. So if the pricing is the main thing, people should forget waves.com and go to some of the resellers.

Grain Bastard wrote:Can anyone play this 'replace the UAD' game????

I think I know the rules, you simply blurt out a plugin you own, preferably from one of the 'good-guy developers' or one from a company you are affiliated to and match it by category to a UAD plugin.

Hang-on Steiny are bad, wait I got it.... That chap who did the Blockfish plugs, yeah he was popular round here so what about his Transient Designer plug to the UAD one.

Its free too so I must get a prize.
Why do you get all touchy when someone mentions UAD? So far people have mentioned Waves, Sonnox and Softube, not free and not particularly noted as 'good guys' (waves aren't anyway). Someone's just looking for alternatives, whats the problem?

That's not what's going on here at all. IKMM and Waves are not considered "good guy developers" on this forum and they're being recommended. And all of the replacements I've seen listed are arguably as good as or better than the UAD versions (I own both and prefer the IK Pultec and Fairchild, and I'll put The Glue up against the 4k buss comp any day), or suitable replacements that sound different. In fact, overall, this thread has probably been the most intelligent and well put together UAD replacement threads I've seen on KVR, not that you're post helped that at all.

I'd also add -

Precision Buss Compressor - The Glue

The reason is this: The PBC was inspired by an SSL Buss Compressor to begin with, the UAD folks just went in and added some cool features (mix, completely adjustable attack/release times). With the The Glue's Range and Mix knobs, it could actually be a suitable replacement for the PBC as well. Not a perfect replacement (still no completely adjustable attack/release times), but certainly a suitable one.

todd_r wrote: Why do you get all touchy when someone mentions UAD? So far people have mentioned Waves, Sonnox and Softube, not free and not particularly noted as 'good guys' (waves aren't anyway). Someone's just looking for alternatives, whats the problem?
Caffeine probably.

What, Waves are the good guys now, didn't you know - Cheap as UAD and 'better'.....

It's the 'alternatives' bit that is the point. Surely a thread of 'best compressor' & 'best eq' has already been done here??? If so, why go to the lengths of picking a target to attack 'personally' with the same information.

Surely the above information is more beneficial to a consumer and if some of the suggestions are for the UAD platform then its up to you to find out if the system is for you or not.

If your still not sure if the info is useful then look at some of the suggestions. Someone mentioned the T-Racks Opto compressor to replace the LA2A & the LA3A.

I dont understand this argument which one is better and sound closer to the hardware. And let me ask you, how many of you have really used the hardware? If not, its pointless to say that that plugin sounds closer to the "real thing" than the other when you dont know. To claim something you dont know is only laughable. And all the hardware sounded a little bit different from one another. Anyway the gold is not in a plugin but in the mind of the user. Gold in-gold out, shit in-shit out. If you like one of the emulation more than another, thats a different thing. I think its a good investement to have at least two different versions of a plugin and they can both be used in a mix. After all, thats what the hardware pro user does with the "real thing". Owning at least two of a fairchild e.g.

Hate to say it but in no way does Major Tom replace the UAD VCA VU. The VCA VU is far better IMO.

The UAD Precision Buss Comp although has some SSL like features is not at all similar to The Glue. Much more transparent and a very useful plugin.

The fact is there are only a small handful of plugins that can 'replace' UAD that are as good. I use UAD plugs for compression only. Their forte. (EQ=Nebula). I have considered replacing with FET, Glue and ProAudio DSM. However since the UAD EMT 250....things have changed-I may upgrade to UAD2 for that.

That is the way with UAD - they keep releasing delicious plugs. And they will keep doing that (Manley, Trident etc).

I dont consider Waves - not only for their price - but their toxic business practice. You will get MUCH better value in the long term by investing in UAD as opposed to Waves (unless you can afford Mercury). Because unless you buy BIG with Waves - they take more than they give. UA are the opposite - ALWAYS giving whether you buy big or small (plugin vouchers and sales).

I wish people would stop viewing it as 'Us vs THEM' as far as UAD goes. You can get into it at many price points (UAD1->UAD2 QUAD) and work WITH native as well!

dubbelQ wrote:I think its a good investement to have at least two different versions of a plugin and they can both be used in a mix. After all, thats what the hardware pro user does with the "real thing". Owning at least two of a fairchild e.g.
Yes, different plug-ins, different sounding and different usage. I like the UAD Pultec often more then the T-Racks3 Pultec. Not because the UAD Pultec is the better emulation (=more detailed emulation with transformers etc.) but because it sounds clearer and more detailed.
So its not bad to have different plug-ins of the same emulated hardware. Yes and there is also the DSP aspect: if a similar native plug-in can be used and so there is more DSP power for plug-ins where no competitors are available (Fatso, Plate 140, Dimension D, ..)

buscemi wrote:
lmnop wrote: UAD 1176 - Stillwell Rocket
Not nearly, IMO.
IMO they sound very very same to me.. :? If you want to compare them keep in mind that rocket knobs are not calibrated in the same way as 1176 so you must do it by ear but once when you set everything you can't notice a difference.

I can provide you files. Just PM me.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:

That's not what's going on here at all. IKMM and Waves are not considered "good guy developers" on this forum and they're being recommended. And all of the replacements I've seen listed are arguably as good as or better than the UAD versions (I own both and prefer the IK Pultec and Fairchild, and I'll put The Glue up against the 4k buss comp any day), or suitable replacements that sound different. In fact, overall, this thread has probably been the most intelligent and well put together UAD replacement threads I've seen on KVR, not that you're post helped that at all.
You missed the words 'preferably' and 'or'.

I didn't realise posts had to be helpful. I was going with the flow.....sorry. I'll see if I can point out some other 'non helpful posts' that you can also moan about if you want.

Grain Bastard wrote:...
It's the 'alternatives' bit that is the point. Surely a thread of 'best compressor' & 'best eq' has already been done here??? If so, why go to the lengths of picking a target to attack 'personally' with the same information..
'cos the op allready has UAD and wants to know whether it's possible to go all native and needs suggestions for specific replacements

Return to “Effects”