Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
susiwong
KVRAF

3879 posts since 29 Feb, 2004

Postby susiwong; Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:37 am

You could add epicVerb since it is able to do a rather convincing Plate 140 emulation, although that's more or less a very cool byproduct.
epicVerb wasn't designed with that goal in mind and it can do a lot more than that.
And before you start flaming, I own both as well as CSR which also will do a decent Plate 140 emu, though not as good as epicVerb.
Ymmv,
susiwong
lmnop
KVRist

63 posts since 24 Oct, 2006

Postby lmnop; Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:20 pm

What do you think of Altiverbs Plate 140 impulses?
Midi_Glider
KVRist

228 posts since 27 Apr, 2005

Postby Midi_Glider; Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:35 pm

Well, they are very nice for impulses. but they are still only impulses, so they cant really match up. same goes for the EMT 250, of course (which UA have recreated beautifully, BTW)

Best,
midi.
bmanic
KVRAF

7767 posts since 3 Feb, 2003, from Finland, Espoo

Postby bmanic; Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:01 pm

SWAN808 wrote:The fact is there are only a small handful of plugins that can 'replace' UAD that are as good. I use UAD plugs for compression only. Their forte. (EQ=Nebula). I have considered replacing with FET, Glue and ProAudio DSM. However since the UAD EMT 250....things have changed-I may upgrade to UAD2 for that.

I'm pretty much exactly in the same boat as you. UAD for compression, Nebula for EQ and general "mojo" magic. That EMT 250 is incredibly tempting.. damn! :D

Cheers!
bManic
"I'm not trying to be anyone's savior. I'm just trying to think about the future and not be sad." - Elon Musk, TED talk April 2017
Klipspringer
KVRist

268 posts since 26 Feb, 2009

Postby Klipspringer; Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:30 pm

kmonkey wrote:IMO they sound very very same to me.. :? If you want to compare them keep in mind that rocket knobs are not calibrated in the same way as 1176 so you must do it by ear but once when you set everything you can't notice a difference.

I can provide you files. Just PM me.

I'm looking at this now and I'm trying to dial in some similar settings on the rocket. The thing with UAD stuff for me is that plugins have fewer knobs. Silly though it is, that's a big plus for me. I was able to get close to a sound on the rocket but I had to tweak more parameters.

Same with the IK opto-compressor. It's a different beast than the LA-2A so obviously it's going to take more time to tweak. I can get a setting I like on the LA-2A in a few seconds. It's just so simple.

Yesterday, I redid a mix taking out all my UAD and Bootsie plugs and replaced them with all IK stuff. It sounded quite different. I tweaked the bass track better and I liked it more, overall it was OK. The 670 thing is pretty nice. I like that the best.

kmonkey (or any Rocket aficionado), would you be so kind as to recommend the equivalent Stillwell Rocket settings:

UAD 1176

Input: 0
Output: 18
Attack: 7
Release: 7
Ratio: 4
Meter: GR
eduardo_b
KVRAF

11919 posts since 22 Nov, 2004, from west of east

Postby eduardo_b; Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:36 pm

Klipspringer wrote:I'm looking at this now and I'm trying to dial in some similar settings on the rocket. The thing with UAD stuff for me is that plugins have fewer knobs. Silly though it is, that's a big plus for me. I was able to get close to a sound on the rocket but I had to tweak more parameters.
Not silly at all. Confirms the less-is-more point of view some of us have about these things. Sometimes, for some people, having too many choices (parameters) gets in the way and makes the process too fiddly.
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey
eduardo_b
KVRAF

Postby eduardo_b; Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:42 pm

Grain Bastard wrote:Can anyone play this 'replace the UAD' game????

I think I know the rules, you simply blurt out a plugin you own, preferably from one of the 'good-guy developers' or one from a company you are affiliated to and match it by category to a UAD plugin.

So errr, here goes :-

UAD Fatso - Steinberg Magneto....

Hang-on Steiny are bad, wait I got it.... That chap who did the Blockfish plugs, yeah he was popular round here so what about his Transient Designer plug to the UAD one.

Its free too so I must get a prize.
:hihi:

I find this thread sort of silly. Not seeing the point unless it's to avoid buying UAD stuff because one already owns the so-called equivalents. What with UAD's discounts and offers, I pay fairly little for most of their plugs relative to others on the market. :shrug:
susiwong
KVRAF

3879 posts since 29 Feb, 2004

Postby susiwong; Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:00 pm

eduardo_b wrote:I find this thread sort of silly. Not seeing the point unless it's to avoid buying UAD stuff because one already owns the so-called equivalents. What with UAD's discounts and offers, I pay fairly little for most of their plugs relative to others on the market. :shrug:
The question is legit imho.
Nevertheless I can't imagine replacing my own UA plugins, on the contrary, currently waiting for a promo to get the new EMT 250 and maybe the Fatso.
Demoing atm ...
Ymmv,
susiwong
Tony Ostinato
KVRian

1451 posts since 14 Jun, 2003

Postby Tony Ostinato; Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:44 pm

i did own all the hardware versions of the uad plugins i have now, for the most part, which is why i have them, they look the same and act the same. i think thats why a lot of us old guys get uad's.
jkleban
KVRian

632 posts since 4 Mar, 2007

Postby jkleban; Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:02 pm

NONE
The keeper of the Shrine.
http://lldom.blogspot.com
The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
eduardo_b
KVRAF

Postby eduardo_b; Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:08 pm

Tony Ostinato wrote:i did own all the hardware versions of the uad plugins i have now, for the most part, which is why i have them, they look the same and act the same. i think thats why a lot of us old guys get uad's.
Is that like over 40? :)
Klipspringer
KVRist

Postby Klipspringer; Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:44 pm

I think I figured the Stillwell out. I dug up an old post where kmonkey did an A/B:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... r+shootout

And using these settings both the 1176 and Rocket do sound similar. However, when you max the threshold settings on both towards 0db, there's a really really big difference (all other settings being the same). So, both fine plugs but not the same behaviour.

As for the thread, it's good for me because I'm tempted to trade up for a UAD-2, but I'm debating about the cost/benefit, you know. I'm mean where will all this upgrading end. And like the differences are slight and they're like just different sounds. It's not that one is better than the other. I guess.

I remember back in my audiophile days, the debate concerning where to spin your vinyl, Linn Sondek's, Naim amps, etc. etc. Then CD's came out and iPod monstrosities. It makes all that high end gear kind of retarded now!
buscemi
KVRAF

4070 posts since 3 Mar, 2008, from Near Pittsburgh

Postby buscemi; Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:55 pm

Klipspringer wrote:I remember back in my audiophile days, the debate concerning where to spin your vinyl, Linn Sondek's, Naim amps, etc. etc. Then CD's came out and iPod monstrosities. It makes all that high end gear kind of retarded now!

But that's still not a high percentage of the listening public, even then. Much of it was also listened to in the car on crap-o speaker(s), or on less-than-hifi home systems for sure. That's why we always had a 6-inch Auratone sitting there :) I'm sure many/most of us still push that mono button and have some bottom-of-the-barrel device around to listen to our mixes on.
Klipspringer
KVRist

Postby Klipspringer; Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:17 pm

True. I have an iPod nano. The mix must pass muster in that gawd awful thing :?
ozmoz2008
KVRian

1332 posts since 3 Aug, 2008, from where the streets have names

Postby ozmoz2008; Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:19 pm

buscemi wrote:But that's still not a high percentage of the listening public, even then. Much of it was also listened to in the car on crap-o speaker(s), or on less-than-hifi home systems for sure...

I'm always wondering about that when people compare stuff...What are their listening references...when someone says that something sounds better...

We do have to put things in context...

But like someone in this thread said, diversity is always a good thing when it comes to processing...

I also had lots of plugs that were in vouchers etc...so I didn't really bother with what's the equivalent in Natives plugs. Like someone else said I also known a lot of the real hardware machines...and there is some qualities I like very much in the emulation of them.

I also like when a plug do innovate in their approach...so for me it's not all about emulation but how it sounds...in most conditions.

Like a lot of us, I do tend to have some "first" reactions...and sometimes will pass on a plug because of it...but that's like music or anything else I guess...

So for the OP...I will say go for the UAD2...I doubt you'll regret it :)
XP64 os on C5(32bit and 64bit)
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects