Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
lmnop
KVRist

63 posts since 24 Oct, 2006

Postby lmnop; Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:36 pm

So what plugins can do something like what the Fatso does?
johnrrrrrr
KVRist

98 posts since 31 Aug, 2005

Postby johnrrrrrr; Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:30 pm

bmanic wrote:
The UA 1176LN is clean as a whistle.. no modelling of the transformers at all, which makes it a bit more suitable for certain tasks.

Cheers!
bManic

This is what really kills me about the nonsense that UAD can model better because UA makes the hardware version. Someone just said on GS that would be like saying Marshall can emulate amps better than a modeling company. It makes no difference who makes the hardware--they are totally different disciplines.

By what chaps my arse is that all these modeling companies leave out the parts(transformers, tubes,) that causes the hardware versions to be unique over software. Amp modeling companies have been modeling the most difficult and overt distortion for more than a decade--yet these guys cant put the drive into the software?

Im just sick of them claiming they have modeled this or that to the tee when they have not and many of the Pro's, who make the best albums in the world, are even getting fooled by their marketing. Lets face it...having the talent to group an entire band of sounds into a cohesive mix is not the same as judging individual components sound.
Uncle E
KVRAF

9421 posts since 21 Nov, 2000, from Southern California

Postby Uncle E; Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:08 pm

johnrrrrrr wrote:Amp modeling companies have been modeling the most difficult and overt distortion for more than a decade

Yet they still haven't gotten it right. An accurate amp modeler doesn't exist.

Im just sick of them claiming they have modeled this or that to the tee when they have not and many of the Pro's, who make the best albums in the world, are even getting fooled by their marketing.

So everyone's fooled but you? I never understand this kind of condescension, you can't just assume that people aren't using their own ears and making quality judgments. Anyone who's used a real LA2A knows there doesn't exist a plug-in that can replace it but we also recognize that the UAD version was for a long time and in some ways still is the *only* viable software alternative.
Redeem the 11% "FORUM" or 16% "GROUP" coupons at:
BFunKu
KVRAF

2817 posts since 30 Oct, 2006, from The City that Started House Music

Postby BFunKu; Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:55 pm

The list would be 10 pages long if you did that. No disrespect to UAD, but Native plugins have come along way and are easy on par with that stuff these days. For example Waves, URS, Sonnox, PSP, Voxengo, Nomad Factory, etc. 8)
Jidis
KVRist

77 posts since 13 Nov, 2007

Postby Jidis; Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:04 pm

Happy birthday Electro :D

Sorry for the big picture. I actually chopped it down, as the 24 mono channels are all the same (4K Channel strips). I think I got most of the heavy stuff in there. The 4K strips have all items enabled. the Fatso is the full (Sr.). Everything other than the first 24 mono channels is stereo, and the project is 48k/24bit with the soundcard buffers at 64. Not sure how useful the system would be in that state, but I guess you can get an idea of what that does to the Quad's processors. Knocking off those last two plug-loaded channels takes it down a lot (DSP65/PGM33). -That's Nuendo3 by the way under XPPro32bit.

Hope that helps!
kmonkey
KVRAF

3679 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Postby kmonkey; Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:40 pm

johnrrrrrr wrote:
Im just sick of them claiming they have modeled this or that to the tee when they have not and many of the Pro's, who make the best albums in the world, are even getting fooled by their marketing. Lets face it...having the talent to group an entire band of sounds into a cohesive mix is not the same as judging individual components sound.

+1 :wink:
owhsinchu
KVRer

7 posts since 5 Apr, 2010

Postby owhsinchu; Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:11 am

Nice post. Thanks.
Last edited by owhsinchu on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 9 times in total.
dj ray
KVRian

993 posts since 4 Nov, 2003, from Washington DC

Postby dj ray; Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:45 am

UAD SPL Transient Designer - Schaack Audio Transient Shaper! Absolutely brilliant.
electro
KVRAF

4180 posts since 5 May, 2002

Postby electro; Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:40 am

You're really not able to replace

the UAD Manley Massive Passive outboard EQ,
the UAD Fatso Jr,
the UAD Harrison 32C EQ Circuit,
the UAD Moog Multimode Filter,
the UAD Neve 33609 Compressor,
the UAD Cooper Timecube,
the UAD Roland Space Echo,
the UAD Roland Dimension D,
the UAD Helios Type 69 Eq Circuit,
The UAD Neve 1073 EQ circuit,
or the UAD EMT Reverbs
and the UAD CE-1 is still the best Chorus plugin

Even if you use native plugins for cahannel EQ and Compression, the UAD is still a unique tool that has its purpose. UA supposedly has Lexicon emulations under development too. One could easily use a UAD-2 Solo for Reverbs alone.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM
payt69
KVRist

207 posts since 3 Mar, 2007

Postby payt69; Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:31 pm

Hi there.. what a fun thread!

Here's my contribution:

UAD EMT 250 - Empty Room 250 (http://www.emptyroomsystems.com)
UAD RS-201 - GS-201 (http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2919.html)

Both of the VST plugs do a pretty good job of emulating the hardware, as far as i can see. The GS-201 even lets you select 3 types of tape.

I think slowly but surely the whole DSP based business is becoming an obsolete system. Computers nowadays have enormous processing power, and that's all you need for a good plugin.

As for reverbs.. of course now there is the native Lexicon PCM set of plugins, which use the actual Lexicon algorythms. It's a bit pricey, but if you consider that you can use as many instances of them as you like (try that with HW reverbs!), maybe it's not that bad.. and they sound amazing, from what i've heard.

Also, there's this 'Mystery plugin' under development: http://plugindiscounts.com/COMINGSOON.html

Anyone familiar with the Lexicon 480 LARC will recognize this, and this is exactly what will be emulated. Sounds like fun eh?
owhsinchu
KVRer

7 posts since 5 Apr, 2010

Postby owhsinchu; Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:05 am

Thanks. Good post.
Last edited by owhsinchu on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
darkdisco
KVRer

5 posts since 24 Mar, 2008

Postby darkdisco; Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:17 am

couldn't all the uad plugs be the alternatives to the native plugs. if you like the sound of a certain plugin then so be it, but why the need too pit uad VS everyone else , should we link a hardware vs software etc. nothings going to absolutely model the hardware each plug is going to have its own individual character despite trying to mimic. i'm not just another uad fanboy i own both uad and many native. its not the first uad vs ... thread blah. its all rather apples and oranges critisms. seems more like a tall poppy syndrome thread like most uad threads turn out to be.
Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF

4808 posts since 15 Aug, 2006

Postby Funkybot's Evil Twin; Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:45 am

electro wrote:You're really not able to replace

the UAD Manley Massive Passive outboard EQ,
the UAD Fatso Jr,
the UAD Harrison 32C EQ Circuit,
the UAD Moog Multimode Filter,
the UAD Neve 33609 Compressor,
the UAD Cooper Timecube,
the UAD Roland Space Echo,
the UAD Roland Dimension D,
the UAD Helios Type 69 Eq Circuit,
The UAD Neve 1073 EQ circuit,
or the UAD EMT Reverbs
and the UAD CE-1 is still the best Chorus plugin

Why do you use the word circuit when talking about the Helios and Neve EQ's? UA is just modelling filter shapes, not entire circuits.

Also, I would argue that PSP's ClassicQ does the 1073 better than UAD...

And Guido's GS-201 sounds more like a vintage RE-20 than the RE-201....

There's nothing particularly special about the Harrison other than the Auto Q....

And the Amplitube CE-1 sounds extremely close to the UA version. In fact, when I A/B'd the 2, the UA version was just a hair darker...

The Plate 140 sounds more like a digital plate reverb than an actual plate, and the EMT 250 now has a native emulation by Empty Room.

Now, the FATSO has no native replacement that I've heard. It just does so much and does it so well. And the 33609 is pretty unique too.
surfingo
KVRist

263 posts since 1 Jan, 2008

Postby surfingo; Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:41 am

Nebula 1073 (brent averill) sounds better than uad one and also API emulation, imho is better in Neb than in waves (which is also good)
Didn't see any Fatso alike in native, but i prefer decapitator as subtle saturation only
klagga
KVRian

667 posts since 5 Jan, 2004

Postby klagga; Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:16 am

electro wrote:You're really not able to replace

the UAD Roland Space Echo

What is it the UAD Roland Space Echo delivers that Fabfilter Timeless 2 doesn't? A nice Roland logo on the GUI?

And is it just me, but isn't PCI (required for UAD) on its way out? Anyway, the next DAW I'll buy will most probably be a laptop. No room for a PCI there. :?
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects