Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
narz3000
Banned

Postby narz3000; Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:59 pm

There is nothing that compares to the UAD Fasto. It's a gas guzzler though.

And as far as I know there is no emulation of the Harrison EQ, unless otherwise mentioned.

I use the Harrison almost exclusively as my 'character' EQ just for that reason.

I've been a UAD fan for a while now. Even though my computer can run more plugins now than my UAD card, I still think the sound of their plugins is plump and juicy.

At this point I wouldn't care if they went native and just turned the damn DSP card strictly into a dongle.
bduffy
KVRAF

19164 posts since 13 Feb, 2003, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby bduffy; Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:03 am

narz3000 wrote:
bduffy wrote:I'm just going to assume someone already pointed out that dlm Sixtyfive is as good (in my opinion, better) than the UAD dbx 160.

You've tried both then? I have the UAD but I miss the other features.

How is the dlm? How does it handle?

Yeah, I've tried both UAD 160 and Sixtyfive. I used to worship the UAD 160, and after buying Sixtyfive and using that, I found the 160 to be a letdown when I tried it again. Just seemed wimpy compared to Sixtyfive. Just my opinion though; not based on any scientific comparisons with the original unit. And with the price differential? Come on!

The only drawback; Sixtyfive is windows-only.
DrGonzo
KVRAF

1907 posts since 23 Oct, 2000, from A Swede Living in Budapest

Postby DrGonzo; Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:31 am

bduffy wrote:I'm just going to assume someone already pointed out that dlm Sixtyfive is as good (in my opinion, better) than the UAD dbx 160.

Of all developers I really miss after migrating to OSX dlm is high on the list.
Plughugger Sound Design
ANALOG DARK for OMNISPHERE 2
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Korg DSM1 - Roland S750 - Ensoniq ASR10/EPSm
bduffy
KVRAF

Postby bduffy; Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:07 am

DrGonzo wrote:

Of all developers I really miss after migrating to OSX dlm is high on the list.

Amen, brother.
narz3000
Banned

Postby narz3000; Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:54 am

bduffy wrote:
narz3000 wrote:

Yeah, I've tried both UAD 160 and Sixtyfive. I used to worship the UAD 160, and after buying Sixtyfive and using that, I found the 160 to be a letdown when I tried it again. Just seemed wimpy compared to Sixtyfive. Just my opinion though; not based on any scientific comparisons with the original unit. And with the price differential? Come on!

I'm highly interested now. Good lookin out.
bduffy
KVRAF

Postby bduffy; Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:22 am

narz3000 wrote:
bduffy wrote:
narz3000 wrote:

I'm highly interested now. Good lookin out.

My pleasure. For anyone who hasn't see this yet:

http://rhythminmind.net/1313/?p=1275
Izak Synthiemental
KVRist

371 posts since 4 Aug, 2010

Postby Izak Synthiemental; Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:04 am

dont know whether it has been mentioned yet:

UAD Harrison EQ - phoenixinflightaudio Thriller EQ (Freeware)
UAD UAD 1073 - Variety of Sounds Nasty CS (Freeware)
http://soundcloud.com/samaritageto

Proper Education Always Corrects Errors
Brian @ IK Multimedia
KVRian

1042 posts since 6 Feb, 2011

Postby Brian @ IK Multimedia; Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:40 pm

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:And the Amplitube CE-1 sounds extremely close to the UA version. In fact, when I A/B'd the 2, the UA version was just a hair darker...

And you can get the stereo Rack version of it ("Analog Chorus") for only $5 ($3 with JamPoints) in AmpliTube Custom Shop FREE. The Stomp version is $10.

Some others from IK are the Black 76 (1176), White 2A (LA2A), Vintage Compressor Model 670 (Fairchild 670), and Vintage Program EQ 1A (Plutec EQP-1A).
factorypresets
KVRist

55 posts since 30 May, 2004

Postby factorypresets; Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:56 pm

klagga wrote:What is it the UAD Roland Space Echo delivers that Fabfilter Timeless 2 doesn't? A nice Roland logo on the GUI?

Space echo levels of feedback, mainly. Timeless is an excellent tape-delay sim, but it is way more polite than the UAD version.

And is it just me, but isn't PCI (required for UAD) on its way out? Anyway, the next DAW I'll buy will most probably be a laptop. No room for a PCI there. :?

That will be why they have gone to PCIe for the UAD-2.
ironflippy
KVRist

75 posts since 6 Jun, 2005

Postby ironflippy; Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:36 pm

narz3000 wrote:There is nothing that compares to the UAD Fasto. It's a gas guzzler though.

And as far as I know there is no emulation of the Harrison EQ, unless otherwise mentioned.

I use the Harrison almost exclusively as my 'character' EQ just for that reason.

I've been a UAD fan for a while now. Even though my computer can run more plugins now than my UAD card, I still think the sound of their plugins is plump and juicy.

At this point I wouldn't care if they went native and just turned the damn DSP card strictly into a dongle.

I don't know of any plugins, but harrison makes a DAW called Mixbus that supposedly emulates their consoles, which includes channel strip EQ.

http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/joomla/ ... &Itemid=42
narz3000
Banned

Postby narz3000; Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:17 pm

ironflippy wrote:
narz3000 wrote:There is nothing that compares to the UAD Fasto. It's a gas guzzler though.

I don't know of any plugins, but harrison makes a DAW called Mixbus that supposedly emulates their consoles, which includes channel strip EQ.

True. Looks pretty cool.
LBN
KVRAF

2274 posts since 8 Apr, 2003, from Austin

Postby LBN; Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:00 pm

* - This Plug In
ObsoleteAcc99
Banned

Postby ObsoleteAcc99; Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:41 pm

there are a few uad plugins like fatso and studer and massive passive that i would say are irreplaceable. That said until they get off their high horses and realize an $1800 quad card running a crap amount of instances of their high end plugins, and no 64 bits, well i can see why many people are jumping ship. they are atrocious value for money.
Compyfox
KVRAF

14116 posts since 18 Oct, 2003, from Berlin, Germany

Postby Compyfox; Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:37 pm

ironflippy wrote:I don't know of any plugins, but harrison makes a DAW called Mixbus that supposedly emulates their consoles, which includes channel strip EQ.

This is NOT a plugin, but a add-on for ARDUR. And Ardur (which was once open source) got pretty much bought up, sold for a "nice" price (it once cost 99USD!), along with the "Harrison Console" plugins - with all it's bugs and whistles, and Macintosh/Linux OS compatibility only.

I've tried it - and I'll never hit my HDD, or those from one of my partners, anymore! If they'd release the "console" as plugin collection - fine. Else - hands off (IMO!).
[ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ] | [ Mix Challenge ] | [ Video Project (in the making) ]
milosh_
KVRist

193 posts since 8 Feb, 2008

Postby milosh_; Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:13 am

klagga wrote:
electro wrote:You're really not able to replace

the UAD Roland Space Echo

What is it the UAD Roland Space Echo delivers that Fabfilter Timeless 2 doesn't? A nice Roland logo on the GUI?

And is it just me, but isn't PCI (required for UAD) on its way out? Anyway, the next DAW I'll buy will most probably be a laptop. No room for a PCI there. :?

Fabfilter Timeless 2 is totally different than roland RE-201. I have hardware RE-201 and Timeless2 plugin. Both are great effects/instruments but I wouldn't compare them.

cheers
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects