Redline Preamp

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tp3 wrote:I did not try the translator yet but at the end of the article there's a "FAZIT" which sounds to me (no pun intended) like CAVEAT.
Close but no ciga.... actually not even in the ballpark: "Fazit" = conclusion.
J. , if I were you, I would translate it to proper English ASAP :)
What I'll probably do translate the interesting parts to English--my grasp of German is still good but it's been a long time, and properly translating the entire thing is probably going to take me a couple of hours.
(and would make other samples, NOT taking the plug to extremes, and making it some sort of an SFX unit - unless, of course, that is what you want)
Ooooooooh now I understand! The review isn't by me--that would be a bit cheeky since I wrote the plugin :)--, I was just pointing out that there *is* a first proper review available.

Hehe.

But yes, I agree that the sound samples do push the plugin too much for my liking as well. Not sure why so many ppl when they hear "coloration" think "lots of distortion"? What is that? Is analogue so far gone that nobody knows what it really sounds like anymore? :(

-- dj!
Morgana | Redline Series | Big Blue Series

dj! (112dB) wrote:Close but no ciga.... actually not even in the ballpark: "Fazit" = conclusion.

What I'll probably do translate the interesting parts to English--my grasp of German is still good but it's been a long time, and properly translating the entire thing is probably going to take me a couple of hours.
Everything up till the samples thing was humor, Jules. you should take like that (I added a "Just Kidding" icon)
dj! (112dB) wrote:Ooooooooh now I understand! The review isn't by me--that would be a bit cheeky since I wrote the plugin :)--, I was just pointing out that there *is* a first proper review available.

Hehe.
I understand that my friend :)

But as you pointed towards a place where people will cling on to from now until there's a better source... it
would better suit you aims. just MHO.
dj! (112dB) wrote:Not sure why so many ppl when they hear "coloration" think "lots of distortion"? What is that? Is analogue so far gone that nobody knows what it really sounds like anymore? :(

-- dj!

Because almost all people (myself included - at times) DON'T KNOW WHAT DO EXPECT. and you need to let them
hear something "obvious". otherwise it is "I can't hear WTF is this thing doing !"
dj! (112dB) wrote:Is analogue so far gone that nobody knows what it really sounds like anymore?
No, analog is exactly at the same place. but EXACTLY as people abuse compressors because they don't know what
to "hear" - the same applies here.

If I were you, I would have made sort of "counter article" with PROPER samples - in which you outline very
vividly what sould one expect. one will either hear it or not (depending on his/her hearing sensitivity and quailty of equipment). but at least you can be SURE that people KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT AS YOU INTENDED.

Good luck :tu:
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

dj! (112dB) wrote:
But yes, I agree that the sound samples do push the plugin too much for my liking as well. Not sure why so many ppl when they hear "coloration" think "lots of distortion"? What is that? Is analogue so far gone that nobody knows what it really sounds like anymore? :(

-- dj!
i was trying to stay out of this thread, but, dj, you speak out of my heart: you're so damned right! a good saturation in the analog domain is _not_ audible as distortion, but as an integral part of the input signal - it is of course based on distortion, but _not_ audible as such (if not abused), but as a natural dynamic and frequency enhancement. that is the art of saturation, and that is the reason why a i.e. harrison console (we have one here in the studio i work) sounds so unbelievably nice. you can crank up the gain up to +18db (original input signal already levelled to analog 0db) and it just alters the signal niceley, no audible distortion introduced. i've yet to hear that in digital, be it hard or software. all the saturation plugins that i've tried, from freeware to payware are "just" distorting the signal with a nonelinear curve, but there's way more to a gainstage saturation than that, be it phase and frequency alterations aswell as which harmonics are introduced and which not, based on the phase alterings of the integral parts of the unit.

and yes, most of the users here of course are too young to really know what made that analog sound. they can hear it and identify it, if they have an ear and are educated in such things a bit, but they can't know where it comes from, as they mostly don't have the chance to work with such great analog gear, so they cannot hear the difference with/without the unit that does that nice amplification-side effects ...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

Tp3 wrote:>snip<
dj! (112dB) wrote:Is analogue so far gone that nobody knows what it really sounds like anymore?
No, analog is exactly at the same place. but EXACTLY as people abuse compressors because they don't know what
to "hear" - the same applies here.>snip<
perfectly said. analog sound and how it is properly done these days has to be explained to both certain developers and certain users, it seems. this is no bashing, it's the result of time changing and generations grown up that simply don't have the chance to work with good analog gear.
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

I've been using Redline Preamp for a couple of days now and I am impressed with it so far. It is subtle, but that's the point. There are plenty of other plug-ins available if you need strong colouration.

Redline Preamp seems to keep small variations in dynamics nicely under control, making for a more consistent mix. It's something that's hard to appreciate when using it on solo'ed instruments (because they aren't fighting with any other sounds for attention anyway), but in the mix, everything seems that bit more controlled. It's easier to get everything to sit "in its place".

The tone controls are great for accentuating the relevant parts of a signal, eg, adding a little roundness to bass parts, to solidify them; adding a gentle treble sheen to guitars without making them harsh; and making drums cut through.

I used it for the first time properly yesterday, on a busy mix that I was having trouble with… Put a Redline Preamp on every channel and I had the kind of gently balanced sound I'd been seeking all along. It didn't sound drastically different, just smoother, and that bit more "pro".

Anyways, my first impressions are positive at least!

lee dc wrote:Put a Redline Preamp on every channel and I had the kind of gently balanced sound I'd been seeking all along
I wrote exactly like this somewhere else in this thread.

V-Preamps are to be evaluated as an ACCUMULATIVE effect (ie. when you MIX a whole lotta tracks TOGETHER) to appreciate it's effect. it's the same with Nebula, with Bootsie's FX and so forth...

But people just slap it on ONE track and its like : "it's too subtle, dude ! ah can't hear nothin' !".

Jules, as I see it (while the clock is ticking) ... given the nature of the plug, you have two choices

1) Give it to some experienced user who will use it/abuse it - and will tell the forum/the internet about his
experience
2) Make a high quality video/audio (or BOTH) outlining what is going on - and let people judge/understand.
(I would even add Christian Budde's analyzer to illustrate what is the plug doing "technically" - I did it, BTW :)).
everything should be "In ya face" otherwise you'll waste precious time in explaining abstract ideas. this should
be explained in a MIX context via its constituents.

In my experience, a LOT of developers just assume that EVERYONE "should know what to expect". I roam these places
for YEARS upon years and not only this is a WRONG assumption, but to the developers dismay, even experienced
technicians do not agree among themselves !

So you should assume NO ONE knows nothing. set your own rule, Jules (nice rhyme, ey ?...:D :wink:).

Just my 0.02
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

brok landers wrote:i was trying to stay out of this thread, but, dj, you speak out of my heart: you're so damned right! a good saturation in the analog domain is _not_ audible as distortion, but as an integral part of the input signal - it is of course based on distortion, but _not_ audible as such
Maybe the term "DISTORTion" confuses a LOT of people who simply expect something "BAD" when what is
REALLY happening is ALTERATION (in varying amounts - mostly SUBTLE) of the audio waveform.

IMvHO, the term Distortion has no place in modern audio jargon. this is a purely technical term for technical
guys. for everyone else ALTERATION should be the word.

It's the same with compression, BTW : haw would YOU understand the term compression if it were simply called
"reduction of dynamic range" ??

Think of it like that :

"I WILL COMPRESS YOU !!! :box: "

or

"I will reduce your dynamic range !!! :hug: "

:)
(Gabe Dumbbell)

dj! (112dB) wrote:But yes, I agree that the sound samples do push the plugin too much for my liking as well. Not sure why so many ppl when they hear "coloration" think "lots of distortion"? What is that? Is analogue so far gone that nobody knows what it really sounds like anymore? :(
In a word...yes. But what if digital had come first? Would analogue matter? It would simply be just another effect.
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

I didn't even use the clipping function of Redline Preamp yet :D

Tp3 wrote:Maybe the term "DISTORTion" confuses a LOT of people who simply expect something "BAD" when what is
Excellent point. Distortion is a negative term as commonly used.
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

Wow... it seems that was a good topic to raise! Way too many good points brought up here to even attempt replying to every one of them. But lee dc, thanks a lot for that almost mini review! It's awesome to see that some people here *do* really pick up on what Preamp is about.

And just for the record: it's not that I feel Preamp is being received wrong. Sales are pretty good, and I happen to know that a couple of magazines are going to publish very favorable reviews. So I'm not moaning at all, and I'm sure a lot of people will "get it". It's just that some of the reactions posted here kind of puzzled me, and I was curious about the cause for the apparent miscommunication. Your feedback did put very useful perspectives on that!
Tp3 wrote:Make a high quality video/audio (or BOTH) outlining what is going on - and let people judge/understand.
(I would even add Christian Budde's analyzer to illustrate what is the plug doing "technically" - I did it, BTW :)).
everything should be "In ya face" otherwise you'll waste precious time in explaining abstract ideas. this should
be explained in a MIX context via its constituents.
Sounds like a great idea, though unfortunately not something that I could come up with easily--I made some humble attempts in the past but I'm not a producer by a long shot! But if anybody reading this wanted to have a go at this I definitely wouldn't mind, hehe... Seriously though, that is a good idea. On the off chance that anybody is really up for it, contact me and I'm sure we can work smt out.

And yes, I agree 110% that the word "distortion", even though technically correct, might not be the best way to describe to potential customers what Preamp does. I'll rework the promo material to reflect that. Thanks for the really good point!

-- dj!

lee dc wrote:I didn't even use the clipping function of Redline Preamp yet :D
:love: :love: :love:

- dj!

I'd love to hear some dry / wet samples, preferably on a busy mix
from someone experienced in working with that kind of tool.

Anyone? ;-)
"How are we supposed to judge what each converter sounds like without know which is which? I don't want to be unfairly influenced by blind listening."
- Gearhero @ GS

gzabriel wrote:I was hoping someone would comment here and tell me what I should be looking for in terms of sonic difference...but it looks like you guys are hearing exactly what I am: nothing. I really want to like it though, it looks cool!
I hope you understand, that Saturation and Distortion are different.
If you don't hear any effect from this plugin, then, for example, Bootsy Ferric will be kinda puzzle for you at all.

The thing is, and it's purely subjective: when's it enough analog flavor? I use mostly tube mics and transformer/tube pre's and there's plenty of vibe going in. Yet, I'm always experimenting with adding more character.

Return to “Effects”