Voxengo SPAN pre 2.0 public beta-testing (update 3)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tp3 wrote:When is the "Official" release due ?
Hopefully, in a couple of weeks.

Cool, then I might buy me a "Thanks !" plug by then (I owe ya :wink:)
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:
ttoz wrote:does this allow you to "send" the spectrum of another instance to the other?
No, it's the feature that will be unique to GlissEQ.
ttoz wrote:in any case, look forward to this on OSX AU. many thanks and praise!
It's already available in OS X AU. See the first post.
yes i meant i look forward to downloading it. I did realize it was AU as al your new plugs are. Thanks again.

I think there's a bug with the MODE preset selection: It only works for group 1. When I change it while in other groups the change only affects group 1...

be wrote:I think there's a bug with the MODE preset selection: It only works for group 1. When I change it while in other groups the change only affects group 1...
Yes, indeed, thanks for reporting. This will be fixed.

Hi Aleksey,
How are you?

As a long-time fan of SPAN, I'm happy to see the developments you've made here.
I think adding the scroll bars is just what this was missing. It's also nice to be able to display 2 curves simultaneously. Correlation meter is good too.

Some suggestions, though;

1) The Secondary curve needs colour and opacity controls.
2) "Sec Spectrum" should be changed to "2nd Spectrum" or Sec. Spectrum", I was confused what this was for.
3) I don't suppose you could add 12dB/oct 24dB/oct smoothing too, please?
4) The options for Type in the 'Spectrum Mode Editor' window are not in logical order. They should be: RT AVG, RT MAX, AVG, MAX
5) Where did the 'separate left and right curves' go? If this is possible with Routing and Underlay Group, then I couldn't work it out.
A factory preset showing separate L and R curves would be a good idea.

Great work, Aleksey, you've done really well!

To the person who said it took up more room than SPAN 1.x - don't forget that you can scale the UI in the settings page.

All the best,
Dax.
Dax Liniere - producer | mixer | engineer - London

thanks so much, this is the one free plugin i can never quit using. can't wait to check out the beta. THANKS!!!!

daxliniere wrote:1) The Secondary curve needs colour and opacity controls.
Secondary curve's color is fixed to primary curve's color.
daxliniere wrote:2) "Sec Spectrum" should be changed to "2nd Spectrum" or Sec. Spectrum", I was confused what this was for.
I'll fix this reading.
daxliniere wrote:3) I don't suppose you could add 12dB/oct 24dB/oct smoothing too, please?
You are obviously trying to formulate continous spectrum in terms of band-pass discrete spectrum. This isn't possible. There are already enough options available to get the smoothness you need.
daxliniere wrote:4) The options for Type in the 'Spectrum Mode Editor' window are not in logical order. They should be: RT AVG, RT MAX, AVG, MAX
Yes, of course, but I can't do anything about it - RT Max was added into the spectrum analysis system later, I can't do anything here and retain backwards compatibility with GlissEQ and Voxformer.
daxliniere wrote:5) Where did the 'separate left and right curves' go? If this is possible with Routing and Underlay Group, then I couldn't work it out.
There will be a factory preset for that. But it's really easy to setup - load the "Dual Mono" routing preset and select Underlay=Right.

Hi Aleksey,

just gave it a VERY short glance. Any way to show both PEAK and RMS levels at the same time?

Ollie

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:
daxliniere wrote:1) The Secondary curve needs colour and opacity controls.
Secondary curve's color is fixed to primary curve's color.
Yes, I know that already, that's why I suggested a change.
Also, you didn't respond to my 2nd request; I believe it should be possible to set the secondary curve to be less opaque (more transparent).
Example, I would like to have RT AVG as my main curve and I would like RT MAX to be secondary. However, I would like the RT MAX curve to be less visible (or transparent).
Adding an Opacity control function would solve this.
Aleksey Vaneev wrote:
daxliniere wrote:2) "Sec Spectrum" should be changed to "2nd Spectrum" or Sec. Spectrum", I was confused what this was for.
I'll fix this reading.
Thank you. :)
Aleksey Vaneev wrote:
daxliniere wrote:3) I don't suppose you could add 12dB/oct 24dB/oct smoothing too, please?
You are obviously trying to formulate continous spectrum in terms of band-pass discrete spectrum. This isn't possible. There are already enough options available to get the smoothness you need.
Sorry, I wrote the wrong thing in my original message, I meant 1/12 oct and 1/24 oct - you may have already guessed this.
The reason is, I would like less detail than No smoothing, but more detail than 1/6 oct.
Aleksey Vaneev wrote:
daxliniere wrote:4) The options for Type in the 'Spectrum Mode Editor' window are not in logical order. They should be: RT AVG, RT MAX, AVG, MAX
Yes, of course, but I can't do anything about it - RT Max was added into the spectrum analysis system later, I can't do anything here and retain backwards compatibility with GlissEQ and Voxformer.
What do you mean by compatibility? How do these plugin interface with each other?
It's a minor point anyway, but tidying up is one of my beta testing specialities.
Aleksey Vaneev wrote:
daxliniere wrote:5) Where did the 'separate left and right curves' go? If this is possible with Routing and Underlay Group, then I couldn't work it out.
There will be a factory preset for that. But it's really easy to setup - load the "Dual Mono" routing preset and select Underlay=Right.
Great, thanks Aleksey.

Oh wow! I just discovered the Signal Density option - WOW!
That setting shouldn't be hidden away on that page. IMHO, it should be directly above the meters, to the right of the "Out" text.

Also, is there any reason the Hold button is so close to the colour button? It implies that they are somehow linked.

I must say once again, it is truly a joy to work with the new GUI on your plugins. Little details like the ring that appears around knobs when you hover them and the smooth, informative metering to the auto-resizing bottom strip for contextual-help (eg. Hover over widgets on the presets menu).
Wonderful.

Keep it up, Aleksey.

Dax Liniere, thanks for your ideas. I'll make curve a little more transparent, but I'm not keen at adding additional color/opacity controls - it is unnecessary complication. 1/12 and 1/24 oct views are not what I will add as well since they do not make any good except "ecstatic" feelings like you want to have by arranging "RT Max" after "RT Avg". It's absolutely irrelevant to the function. And of course, SPAN shares the code and even editor window look between Voxformer and GlissEQ. "Hold" and color are of course linked - because you want to hold something colored with the shown color.

"Density" mode is a general preference mode - but I doubt many users want to use such mode. That's why it is placed on the Settings window. Beside that, Settings are not associated with presets while what you see on the UI is held in presets.

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:...they do not make any good except "ecstatic" feelings like you want to have by arranging "RT Max" after "RT Avg".
Ouch. I will choose to take this as a language difference, not an insult.
I have an 'eye for detail', I believe that's what makes me a good engineer. It would be remiss of me as a beta tester to not report something incongruent (out of place) if I noticed it.
Aleksey Vaneev wrote:"Hold" and color are of course linked - because you want to hold something colored with the shown color.
Not true. Pressing hold in Dual Mono mode (setup as you suggested) freezes BOTH curves, Left and Right channel, even though they are different colours.
Aleksey Vaneev wrote:"Density" mode is a general preference mode - but I doubt many users want to use such mode. That's why it is placed on the Settings window. Beside that, Settings are not associated with presets while what you see on the UI is held in presets.
That's fine. Personal preference. I know where to find it when I want to toggle it all the time.

daxliniere wrote:
Aleksey Vaneev wrote:...they do not make any good except "ecstatic" feelings like you want to have by arranging "RT Max" after "RT Avg".
Ouch. I will choose to take this as a language difference, not an insult.
I have an 'eye for detail', I believe that's what makes me a good engineer. It would be remiss of me as a beta tester to not report something incongruent (out of place) if I noticed it.
Maybe I should have said "aesthetic"? In either case, it's a very minor thing. Do not get me wrong - implementing the way you think it's good is a lot of trouble, it's not like placing X after Y. This will affect Voxformer and GlissEQ.
daxliniere wrote:
Aleksey Vaneev wrote:"Hold" and color are of course linked - because you want to hold something colored with the shown color.
Not true. Pressing hold in Dual Mono mode (setup as you suggested) freezes BOTH curves, Left and Right channel, even though they are different colours.
So, where do you think it should be placed then?
daxliniere wrote:
Aleksey Vaneev wrote:"Density" mode is a general preference mode - but I doubt many users want to use such mode. That's why it is placed on the Settings window. Beside that, Settings are not associated with presets while what you see on the UI is held in presets.
That's fine. Personal preference. I know where to find it when I want to toggle it all the time.
Well, do you think you need different settings in different situations? From what I understand you either like "density mode" and are using it all the time, or you do not like it. It's like a global option for all instances of SPAN plug-in.

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:So, where do you think [hold button] should be placed then?
Please see screenshot:

I repositioned the Hold button, but it didn't look right, so I had to move a few things around.
Aleksey Vaneev wrote:From what I understand you either like "density mode" and are using it all the time, or you do not like it.
No, certainly not! :)
See, Density mode gives you different information than standard peak metering.
Are you familiar with the TT Dynamic Range Meter? Density mode offers a display system which is very similar.

In the pixel-hack above, I have added the Density button too.

Hope this helps develop your product.

All the best,
Dax.

Thanks.

Return to “Effects”