ValhallaShimmer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ValhallaShimmer

valhallasound wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote: In BH the size also determines the attack/buildup of the space so even with no predelay dialed in at higher size settings the attack changes drastically.
I'm hearing a definite pre-delay gap in the Blackhole example, before the actual "reverberation." My guess is that there is some "fixed" delay before the series allpasses, or after the series allpasses, but before the outputs. This is a necessary addition when you add global feedback to the "lots of series allpasses" type reverb structure (Blackhole, Shimmer, Toraverb, Spacemaster, Redline Reverb), in order to avoid unpleasant coloration as the global feedback is turned up. If this is a longer delay, and it varies with size, then you will hear this as a predelay type sound with longer size settings.

Sean Costello
Ahh, interesting - thank's for the expert's insight! E.g. in Aether there are dedicated controls for Attack and Sustain which I find very useful when building those huge spaces.

I apologise because this might be a bit off-topic "dans le fil de la discussion",but IMHO i regret in some cases that the reverb can't be bypassed, especially using single or dual reverse mode (a shimmer effect without size and diffusion parameters and reduced initial delay)

For instance, i'm making presently an arrangement for an african Singer/songwriter, african tunes in where many aditionnal sonic elements like rattling metal pieces in most cases (Djembe, N'goni, Sanza, also Balafon though it's not metallic resonnators in the particular case) are commonly used to ornate the natural sound of these instruments in traditionnal music...
(elements that are BTW often neglected IMO in sound design,likely because of the more or less necessary occidentalisation of these instruments when building presets and articulations for them into ROMplers/samplers)

...I could do long time ago with an HM80 eventide hardware unit very interesting feedbacked octaves-up single reverse-like effects on tuned percussion, voices, etc..., that would have blended very well with these traditionnal instruments because the effect, though it very annoying delay forbidded me to create synchronous intervals, behaves very similarily with these metallic elements ; slowed attack and sustained raisonnances (AND..., nice little plus... harmonic correlation at +/-12)

If i insist a bit on this, its because i assume (perhaps wrong i may admit :oops:) it shouldn't be a big pain in regard to valhallashimmer's architecture to once implement this that might be a nice little addition

In fact to be honest, i can do it with one or two of the soundhack plug in some different manners(+pitch delay, +bubbler) though there not a properly called reverse mode, and it's a bit tricky because of some GUI erratic behaviours and the overall experimental philosophy that unavoidably lacks effectiveness !

Krakatau wrote:I apologise because this might be a bit off-topic "dans le fil de la discussion",but IMHO i regret in some cases that the reverb can't be bypassed, especially using single or dual reverse mode (a shimmer effect without size and diffusion parameters and reduced initial delay)
<snip>
...I could do long time ago with an HM80 eventide hardware unit very interesting feedbacked octaves-up single reverse-like effects on tuned percussion, voices, etc..., that would have blended very well with these traditionnal instruments because the effect, though it very annoying delay forbidded me to create synchronous intervals, behaves very similarily with these metallic elements ; slowed attack and sustained raisonnances (AND..., nice little plus... harmonic correlation at +/-12)

If i insist a bit on this, its because i assume (perhaps wrong i may admit :oops:) it shouldn't be a big pain in regard to valhallashimmer's architecture to once implement this that might be a nice little addition
The pitch shifting in ValhallaShimmer is optimized towards creating a pitch shifted reverb. The pitch shifting *engine* could be tweaked to create some cool backwards shifting sounds, but this would require a whole bunch of additional parameters (splice size, randomization controls, predelay). In addition, the ValhallaShimmer reverby parameters would become redundant in such a situation. And most of the cool pitch shifting sounds would sound lousy when put into the feedback loop of a reverb. Plus, I would want to add features to the basic pitch shifting section, and perform some DSP tricks to avoid aliasing.

All of this adds up to creating a new plugin to expand on this sort of pitch shifting, instead of adding features to Shimmer. I want to keep Shimmer simple.

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote:All of this adds up to creating a new plugin to expand on this sort of pitch shifting, instead of adding features to Shimmer.
I want to keep Shimmer simple.
Sean Costello
Sensible...

Experimental Soundscape made from/with the sounds of a wooden rattle/ratchet.
The pure ratchet sounds sent into Shimmer with descending pitchshift, the result sent into PitchFunk, that result sent into Aether, some Ozone 5 on the Master Bus. Additional sounds made with one of my Razor patches sent through the same PitchFunk instance - and in the end the recording of a thunderclap which struck our house some days ago during the night and I had a field recorder lying around at the time.
http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/rattle-scape

A little doodle with using Valhalla Shimmer to sound like the Lexi Blackhole reverb, especially noticeable on the lead guitar.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6185854/kvr%20songs/PR.mp3

Shimmery blackhole type reverb pedal (with up to 30 second tail), but doesn't do the pitch shifty thing. Again, a Portland,OR based pedal builder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB6ii8z1pHk

metalifuxx wrote:A little doodle with using Valhalla Shimmer to sound like the Lexi Blackhole reverb, especially noticeable on the lead guitar.
Sounds nice! What is the chorus on the guitar?
Shimmery blackhole type reverb pedal (with up to 30 second tail), but doesn't do the pitch shifty thing. Again, a Portland,OR based pedal builder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB6ii8z1pHk
Man, what is UP with Portland and cool boutique pedals? I wonder if the Spin Semiconductor FV-1 is being used.

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote:
metalifuxx wrote:A little doodle with using Valhalla Shimmer to sound like the Lexi Blackhole reverb, especially noticeable on the lead guitar.
Sounds nice! What is the chorus on the guitar?
Sean Costello
The CE-1 chorus model in Guitar Rig 3 (or any concurrent version), after amp/cab in full width stereo operation. Sounds good in front of an amp when set to mono too. The ampsim models are so-so, but the modulations/delays have always been top notch IMHO. Very musical, sharper brighter less muddled attack, and usually sit well in a mix with minimal eq/compression tweaking. Seems the effects are tailored more for the plucky character of a guitar, so the transients don't get as smashed like with some modulation effects.

valhallasound wrote: Man, what is UP with Portland and cool boutique pedals? I wonder if the Spin Semiconductor FV-1 is being used.

Sean Costello
I know Portland is home base to Intel's headquarters. One of my friends just got a job in their business operations sector there. He said Intel had to reform and eliminate their random drug testing policy because it was soon known that just about everyone from the lowest level employees to their top engineers/inventors/management smoked weed on a pretty regular basis :o Turns out they didn't want to have to fire the world's top computer chip engineers over something like that, or perhaps hinder their inspiration/creativity/patience :hihi: Mix that with Portland's eclectic music scene, and you might get a bunch of smart young innovative music geek hipsters messing around with all things audio, fueled by a variety of micro brew beers and locally grown herbs? 8)

metalifuxx wrote:
valhallasound wrote: Man, what is UP with Portland and cool boutique pedals? I wonder if the Spin Semiconductor FV-1 is being used.

Sean Costello
I know Portland is home base to Intel's headquarters. One of my friends just got a job in their business operations sector there. He said Intel had to reform and eliminate their random drug testing policy because it was soon known that just about everyone from the lowest level employees to their top engineers/inventors/management smoked weed on a pretty regular basis :o Turns out they didn't want to have to fire the world's top computer chip engineers over something like that, or perhaps hinder their inspiration/creativity/patience :hihi: Mix that with Portland's eclectic music scene, and you might get a bunch of smart young innovative music geek hipsters messing around with all things audio, fueled by a variety of micro brew beers and locally grown herbs? 8)
I don't know of many Portland plugin companies (reFuse Software is the only one that springs to mind). Then again, I don't know of many plugin developers in Seattle, apart from me and Randy Jones (Madrona Labs). For whatever reason, there have always been a LOT of pedal companies in Portland, starting with Prescription Electronics in the early 90s. Some of the pedal companies have branched out into digital pedals and Eurorack modules. There is even a modular synth store in Portland now, Control Voltage. It seems like the Portland electronic music products come from a more hands-on, making-physical-things place.

Is it the weed? I dunno. Pot just got legalized here in Washington state, so maybe we'll see a lot more stomp boxes coming from Seattle. Heck, maybe weed is the magic motivation I need to actually make stomp pedals! I think that must be how it works... :D

Sean "Captain Toke" Costello

valhallasound wrote:
Is it the weed? I dunno. Pot just got legalized here in Washington state, so maybe we'll see a lot more stomp boxes coming from Seattle. Heck, maybe weed is the magic motivation I need to actually make stomp pedals! I think that must be how it works... :D

Sean "Captain Toke" Costello
I'm not really sure about this... maybe we need to do some research. :-o

8)
Peace...
bluzkat

Is Shimmer *ever* going to get a proper browser?
"What embecile composed this list :/"

re_mute wrote:Is Shimmer *ever* going to get a proper browser?
I'm a preset guy when it comes to a lot of plugins, but I feel this is not one of those. Maybe it would be handy with having different presets for different pitch shifts for easy cascading of the plugin if you use it that way a lot.

metalifuxx wrote:
re_mute wrote:Is Shimmer *ever* going to get a proper browser?
I'm a preset guy when it comes to a lot of plugins, but I feel this is not one of those. Maybe it would be handy with having different presets for different pitch shifts for easy cascading of the plugin if you use it that way a lot.
If I've been working on a Pro Tool track with Shimmer presets carefully tuned and then want to carry on working on it in Live I'm f**ked if I want to easily use the same presets.
Been asking for years now. Dev seems very selective as to which posts/tweets/FR he bothers to reply to.
"What embecile composed this list :/"

Doesn't it have few enough parameters that you can just write them down, do a screenshot, etc.?
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

Return to “Effects”