ValhallaShimmer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ValhallaShimmer

antithesist wrote:You mean it's not real? Next you'll be debunking "Cat People." It was just a joke. To clarify, I meant that the Maxim article mentioned ayahuasca.
I haven't read the Maxim article in question. I've seen "Altered States" a few times, though.

Back when I was in college, Dennis McKenna (Terrance McKenna's brother) gave a presentation on the chemistry of ayahuasca at a house I was living in. It turns out that ayahuasca works on having a mixture of plants, and the individual plant components don't do much on their own. The "yagé" vine, Banisteriopsis caapi, has a bit of a sedative effect, but its primary usage in ayahuasca is to act as an MAO inhibitor. Some of the other plants in ayahuasca contain DMT, which is a super powerful hallucinogen, but is broken down by MAO when taken orally. By combining the DMT containing plants with Banisteriopsis caapi, the result is a brew that has the effects of DMT when taken orally. Dennis emphasized how weird and remarkable it was that this particular mixture of plants had been discovered, presumably through trial and error.

Trying to tie things back into audio effects: I should note that a lot of my algorithms are created by combining DSP theory with trial & error. I often have strong hunches/instincts that a given idea will work, but I don't have the math to work out all the details, so I just code the thing up and see how it sounds. A lot of the ideas end up sounding horrible (I have about 3 times as many unused algorithms for ValhallaRoom versus what has been released). Fortunately, once I have a plugin framework for a given concept, the process of coding and testing different variants of that concept can be fairly quick.

Sean Costello

If I can inject a little bit of mundane reality into the conversation, I've been waiting for a few free moments to buy and play around with all of the Valhalla plugins. Is it possible to purchase all three in one shot, or do I need to go through the whole PayPal process three times?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:If I can inject a little bit of mundane reality into the conversation, I've been waiting for a few free moments to buy and play around with all of the Valhalla plugins. Is it possible to purchase all three in one shot, or do I need to go through the whole PayPal process three times?
For the time being, you need to go through the whole PayPal process three times. I'll look into an "Add to Cart" PayPal option in the future, but this won't happen in the next few weeks.

EDIT: Or it *might* happen in the next few weeks. I may make some website changes soon, and will see how hard it is to switch the existing PayPal buttons to "Add to Cart."

Sean Costello

Random note: You could also try Rooibos Tea (or Redbush - depending on language :) ) - different taste to green tea - and no caffeine -> if your a "hot drink" kinda guy. Just don't believe te marketing blurb around it - it's just an alternative - and should not be overpriced.

Andrew

Just went to download the demo to give 'er a try again after a while. No 64bit VST for mac yet?
thanks

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Just went to download the demo to give 'er a try again after a while. No 64bit VST for mac yet?
thanks
no 64bit for mac IS released !!!!!!!!

Krakatau wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:Just went to download the demo to give 'er a try again after a while. No 64bit VST for mac yet?
thanks
I see there is 64bit AU on the site, but I'm asking specifically about 64bit VST. There seems to only be one VST version and I think it's 32bit as it doesn't show in Ableton 64bit.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Krakatau wrote:
thanks
I see there is 64bit AU on the site, but I'm asking specifically about 64bit VST. There seems to only be one VST version and I think it's 32bit as it doesn't show in Ableton 64bit.
That's correct, AU is both 32 and 64, VST only 32. Sean's working on it I believe.

BDeep wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Krakatau wrote:
thanks
That's correct, AU is both 32 and 64, VST only 32. Sean's working on it I believe.
I have a beta of the 64-bit OSX VST that I've sent to a few people. I haven't pushed it, as I am going to have to change some code internally for the AAX port. The AAX wrapper in Juce requires the latest and greatest Juce framework. Once I update things to be AAX ready, I'll be rebuilding the VST/AU/RTAS as well, just to make sure that the code is stable going forward. I'll also be adding a proper installer for ValhallaShimmer.

Sean Costello

I know it's a Shimmer thread, but this is a preset I made up in VVV to get it to sound like Shimmer. Not sure if I succeeded or not, but it was the best I could do in 10 minutes. I was trying to replicate the Shimmer default preset.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8602770/Shimmer.zip

Just the one preset. See what you think.

Here it is in use:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/860 ... -Drone.mp3

Just one guitar, one take. If you're interested, you can read more about how I made it here:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... art=75#top

VVV is weaving all kinds of magical overtones and undertones through it. I can here ice cream vans and strings and violins in parts, but that's probably just my hearing trying to tell me something.

:-)

I've made my mind up, Shimmer is definitely at the top of the Valhalla list now. I'll have it in my little box by the end of the year. Just have to try perfecting that preset for the time being. Can anyone get closer to it with VVV? I'd be interested to hear if it could be done.

codec_spurt wrote:I know it's a Shimmer thread, but this is a preset I made up in VVV to get it to sound like Shimmer. Not sure if I succeeded or not, but it was the best I could do in 10 minutes. I was trying to replicate the Shimmer default preset.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8602770/Shimmer.zip

Just the one preset. See what you think.

Here it is in use:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/860 ... -Drone.mp3

Just one guitar, one take. If you're interested, you can read more about how I made it here:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... art=75#top

VVV is weaving all kinds of magical overtones and undertones through it. I can here ice cream vans and strings and violins in parts, but that's probably just my hearing trying to tell me something.

:-)

I've made my mind up, Shimmer is definitely at the top of the Valhalla list now. I'll have it in my little box by the end of the year. Just have to try perfecting that preset for the time being. Can anyone get closer to it with VVV? I'd be interested to hear if it could be done.
That sounds great! I always thought Ubermod was best to imitate shimmer, since it can do long lush reverb but also has some pitch shifting and stuff going on. The great thin gabout ubermod and shimmer is that the parameters can be tweaked in real-time on the verb and not get crackles.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: That sounds great! I always thought Ubermod was best to imitate shimmer, since it can do long lush reverb but also has some pitch shifting and stuff going on.
The Diffusion section in ÜberMod is fairly close to the Shimmer structure. Less complicated than Shimmer, and with lower max diffusion coefficients, as it is intended for reverb in a feedback situation and diffusing delays, versus having a long decay without feedback a la BlackHole. ÜberMod and Shimmer will both get "colorless" reverbs, assuming that ÜberMod is used in 2TapChorus mode. This means that both of them can be cascaded without causing nasty metallic artifacts.
The great thing about ubermod and shimmer is that the parameters can be tweaked in real-time on the verb and not get crackles.
ValhallaÜberMod and ValhallaShimmer are based around interpolated delays. EVERY delay line and delay tap in these plugins is interpolated, with delay changes smoothed out for tape echo-type effects. Shimmer has a fixed smoothing time, while ÜberMod has control over the smoothing time. In ÜberMod, almost everything is smoothed. I should probably review things and see if there are any other areas that could be smoothed, for maximum morphing 90s style (ValhallaPhattMorph).

ValhallaRoom and ValhallaVintageVerb only interpolate some of the delays in the structure, to save CPU. If every delay was interpolated, the same slurping sounds could be achieved as in ÜberMod and Shimmer, but the CPU would be at least 2X as high as the current CPU consumption. Probably more.

Sean Costello

Sean, a thought occurred to me the other day when you were saying about some algorithms not working out and you discarding them. Is there any chance you could compile these 'crappy' algos into a new unit and give it a lick of paint and a snappy name?

What you think is 'not very good' maybe someone else would like. Or are they totally 'not working' algorithms, that just really do sound incredibly bad (I can't believe that) or perhaps might damage speakers with say, errant feedback or something, depending on conditions?

Maybe as you were also saying, you might like to keep them in a bottom draw and bring them out when the time is right, so to pass them onto paying customers, you might feel as if you were short-changing them by providing very similar algorithms.

Just a silly thought. I'd buy it though.

codec_spurt wrote:Sean, a thought occurred to me the other day when you were saying about some algorithms not working out and you discarding them. Is there any chance you could compile these 'crappy' algos into a new unit and give it a lick of paint and a snappy name?

What you think is 'not very good' maybe someone else would like. Or are they totally 'not working' algorithms, that just really do sound incredibly bad (I can't believe that) or perhaps might damage speakers with say, errant feedback or something, depending on conditions?

Maybe as you were also saying, you might like to keep them in a bottom draw and bring them out when the time is right, so to pass them onto paying customers, you might feel as if you were short-changing them by providing very similar algorithms.

Just a silly thought. I'd buy it though.
In this particular situation, the algorithm didn't work out because

- it sounded just OK,
- I've done stuff in the past that was a lot better than OK in achieving the same goals, and
- I figured out why the algorithm sounded just OK, as opposed to much better than OK.

The thing I was trying to do with the new algorithm is something that I haven't done with my other plugins. I was trying to shoehorn it into a reverb, but it didn't quite work. I figured out why, and figured out the best approach to get this sound. This won't fit into any of my current plugins. It might be in the next plugin, but I'm not sure yet. We'll see where I land after I finish moving into the new place (which takes a HUGE amount of time) and finish up the AAX ports.

Sean Costello

Hi Sean, congratulations for such good sounding plugins.

I was recently watching this synth jam video where he uses Strymon Timeline, on minute 14 he runs the Vermona Mono Lancet through the Ice delay and I was blown away by the effect he creates around the bassline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW_MXBq1Ixo

I was wondering if the way to recreate this effect would be by running Shimmer through ÜberMod. If you don't mind, could you advice us on how would you do it?

Thank you in advance.

Return to “Effects”