ValhallaShimmer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ValhallaShimmer

antithesist wrote:re_mute: Right on, sorry I took your f'dness out of context.

I've just been dealing with this sort of thing for longer than I can remember. It's pretty much a given with inter-platform/host plug-in settings, even if there is a preset browser. Unless, there is some universal exchange format.

I think you're expecting the rare to be common. Which is fine if you don't mind being disappointed a lot. For me, there are only usually a few, if any, parameters to an effect that have to be numerically identical in translation. Otherwise, close gets me there.

If close isn't close enough, the before mentioned methods and saving a new preset do the job. In fact, it's shown me which parameters require what resolution of settings in a given context.
No problem. FWIW Shimmer is the only effect or synth that has this problem; all the rest I can use interchangeably in PT or Live using their own preset browsers with no issues if they're both a VST and RTAS.
I'll just carry on doing with screengrabs and maybe give Eventide's plug a spin.
"What embecile composed this list :/"

Okay, I have to admit I haven't migrated anything in awhile. I guess your other plug-ins see presets in common through their browsers from one host to another. I'm almost 100% saving settings in a single host's sessions/projects, and hardly ever actual presets. Sometimes those settings are tweaked versions of presets, though. Then again, I use mostly hardware synths and effects now, too.
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

antithesist wrote:I guess your other plug-ins see presets in common through their browsers from one host to another. I'm almost 100% saving settings in a single host's sessions/projects, and hardly ever actual presets. Sometimes those settings are tweaked versions of presets, though. Then again, I use mostly hardware synths and effects now, too.
That's how it works, yes. And going back to hardware certainly seems appealing at times when dealing with flakey devs.
"What embecile composed this list :/"

valhallasound wrote: I can barely drink green tea without freaking out, so I probably need to hold off on anything stronger until I get the tasks in my queue completed.
Take it from a junkie, steeped teabags can be a gateway drug to maccha green tea

I wouldn't know outside of this but seems to confirm powdered anything is intense :-o

xh3rv wrote:
valhallasound wrote: I can barely drink green tea without freaking out, so I probably need to hold off on anything stronger until I get the tasks in my queue completed.
Take it from a junkie, steeped teabags can be a gateway drug to maccha green tea

I wouldn't know outside of this but seems to confirm powdered anything is intense :-o
I think that powdered things are OK, as long as they aren't chemically modified. Apparently chewing coca leaves in Peru produces an effect similar to coffee, but less jittery, and makes carrying burdens at higher altitudes easier. Concentrate the active ingredients into a powder, and you get people talking about themselves all night. And bad country rock from the 1970s.

Anyway, I am finding myself increasingly sensitive to all stimulants. ÜberMod, for example, was made when I was a total caffeine addict, and I kinda went crazy. My upcoming work has been a mixture of green tea, some coffee, and long periods of torpid sobriety. It is hard waking up in the morning and getting going without any caffeine whatsoever, but it seems like the best choice for my health nowadays.

ValhallaShimmer was my pure green tea plugin, btw.

Sean Costello

I just can't wait to see the plugin you'll develop when on cocaine or crack! day1 purchase for me, no need for demo! :)

xx JPRacer xx wrote:I just can't wait to see the plugin you'll develop when on cocaine or crack! day1 purchase for me, no need for demo! :)
That sounds like a GREAT idea!

ValhallaCrack.™ Price: send me some crack.

crackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrack

Remember: I freak out on COFFEE. Not going anywhere near stronger stimulants.

Sean "If I Medicine You, You'd Fink A Bwain Tumor Was a Birfday Pwesent" Costello

Jesus guys, there might be kids on the block reading all of this :tu:

Sampleconstruct wrote:Jesus guys, there might be kids on the block reading all of this :tu:
Y'know, when I worry about my kids browsing the Internet someday, KVR is pretty much the least of my concerns...

Sean Costello

BTW, what reason would someone want "shimmer" if they have ubermod and valhallaroom?

:D

valhallasound wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Jesus guys, there might be kids on the block reading all of this :tu:
Y'know, when I worry about my kids browsing the Internet someday, KVR is pretty much the least of my concerns...

Sean Costello

hibidy wrote:BTW, what reason would someone want "shimmer" if they have ubermod and valhallaroom?

The Shimmer is a completely different sort of reverb, like Sean Costello said it is able to produce that infinite space Eno sound. There's also a kind of pitchshifter on the feedback (you can choose to dial it in or not). This reverb sounds as if your audio signal was travelling along the milky way.
Last edited by Endor-8o8 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oh great, something else to demo then :hihi:

hibidy wrote:Oh great, something else to demo then :hihi:
Yeah try the demo and you'll see if it can be useful in your work or not...
Once I tried the FreqEcho, I ended in buying all Valhalla's tools...This sounds like heaven, nearly impossible to sound bad with this plugs....Love them to death ! :D

hibidy wrote:BTW, what reason would someone want "shimmer" if they have ubermod and valhallaroom?

Shimmer is good if you want to sound like Eno or U2 or Eno.

In all seriousness, ValhallaShimmer is the most "psychedelic" of my reverbs. It is aimed towards big and bigger sounds. I'd say bigger "spaces," but there is nothing really "physical" about ValhallaShimmer. It is a pure diffusion reverb. The best comparison is with the reverbs in ÜberMod, but much bigger and washier.

There is also the pitch shifter in ValhallaShimmer. This is incorporated in the feedback loop, so Shimmer isn't a "pitch shifter" per se - it is a pitch shifted reverb. This can make that U2 sound, but it can also get all sorts of cool pitched textures.

One really nice feature of ValhallaShimmer is the relatively flat frequency response of the reverb. The stereo modes, without any feedback applied, have a perfectly flat frequency response, without the bumpiness found in most reverbs (including ValhallaRoom). This allows you to run multiple instances of Shimmer in series, which can vastly extend the vastness.

Here's a quick demo I did a few years back. The first sound is the dry signal from my little Korg Monotron:

http://soundcloud.com/seancostello/mono ... enoshimmer

Nice filter, but a pretty basic sound. Now here's the same sound through 4 cascaded instances of Shimmer, with different pitch shift ratios for each instance (+/- 12 semitones, +/- 7 semitones, and two instances of no pitch shifting):

http://soundcloud.com/seancostello/mono ... mmerdrones

Instant planetarium music.

ValhallaShimmer isn't an all purpose reverb. I've heard it used on drums, but it isn't what I would recommend for drum reverbs. It is aimed squarely at ambient and electronic music. If you aren't going for that big spacey sound, then you probably don't need Shimmer.

Shimmer is intended to be part of the performance, as opposed to some unobtrusive post-production sweetening. The dynamics of a signal can be dramatically altered by Shimmer, in a way that reminds me of massive time stretching (and there are some similarities between what PaulStretch does to a signal and what several cascaded instances of Shimmer will do). ValhallaShimmer has an ego. I'd call it a diva, but that name has since been taken by a VERY impressive plugin. :D

ValhallaShimmer is also fairly simple, especially when compared to ÜberMod. It only has a handful of controls, each of which has a pretty dramatic effect on the signal. It is the closest of my plugins to a stompbox. It is also the plugin that I think I am happiest with. All those ValhallaRoom updates? Those were born out of my initial frustration with the sound of that plugin. I'm pretty content with ValhallaShimmer. I have a few ideas for future updates, but I view those updates as "nice to have" as opposed to necessities.

Sean Costello

Return to “Effects”