ValhallaShimmer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ValhallaShimmer

futile wrote:I was wondering if the way to recreate this effect would be by running Shimmer through ÜberMod. If you don't mind, could you advice us on how would you do it?
Try Shimmer through UberMOD (or UberMOD through VVV) with UberMOD set to Sampleconstruct's "All Over" preset.

Thanks for the tip Tp3, will try right away.

One more advice, if I may :

Use Sean's advice as to how to imitate the Blackhole in shimmer (starting with the preset that bears the most unexpected name of all : "Blackhole" :P)

That's the sole reason I've bought Shimmer and now I can proudly say I am the owner of the mighty quartet :love:

One more thing : search for Simon Stockhousen's presets for UberMOD. collect each and every one of them. I'm not kidding. these are worth their existence in gold. combining those presets with some other reverb (be it commercial and/or free) and this will result in some unearthly sounds. I ain't kiddin' :shock:

I just mixed and matched the other day VVV+UberMOD+Reverberate (with M7) and... well, me and a friend of mine were sitting here, drooling in awe... and he murmured "my god, that sounds Gooooood !!!".

Tp3 wrote:... and he murmured "my god, that sounds Gooooood !!!".

lol,

The words us producers long to hear! :)
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

Thank you for the helpful advice, I found the presets and added them to the folders.
You are absolutely right this presets are brutal. I'm still trying to recreate the Ice delay effect from the video with my synths, if you listen closely it is like an extra layer that sounds like a high pitched pad is added to the bassline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW_MXBq1Ixo

Shimmer rocks!

valhallasound wrote: Back when I was in college, Dennis McKenna (Terrance McKenna's brother) gave a presentation on the chemistry of ayahuasca at a house I was living in. It turns out that ayahuasca works on having a mixture of plants, and the individual plant components don't do much on their own. The "yagé" vine, Banisteriopsis caapi, has a bit of a sedative effect, but its primary usage in ayahuasca is to act as an MAO inhibitor. Some of the other plants in ayahuasca contain DMT, which is a super powerful hallucinogen, but is broken down by MAO when taken orally. By combining the DMT containing plants with Banisteriopsis caapi, the result is a brew that has the effects of DMT when taken orally. Dennis emphasized how weird and remarkable it was that this particular mixture of plants had been discovered, presumably through trial and error.

Sean Costello
to come back a while to this off-topic debate, i knew that the psychoactive molecule produced by Banisteriopsis caapi is strictly identical to the one produced by a plant that grows around the meditteranean sea called Peganum harmala
Know by local arabic culture as a beeing poisonous, but not related to shamanic practice or similar, in northern africa for instance

I know quite well many animistic practice from western africa, but didn't saw myself anything related to the use of hallucingenic plants or even heard about (except Iboga and the M'Bwiti cults, but that central africa, far from the area of africa i'm familiar with...)

The contact with "the invisible world2 seems to never involve such drugs and i'm finally amazed how do insiders find the required suggestibility to get into altered states, trauma or extasies, in where creature from the "invisible world" or "the world from beyond the death" are supposed to express themselves throgh someone else's body

AFAIK it rsuggest a kind of "multiple personnality" paradigm applied to a cosmogonic contest that doesn't see it as just symtoms of kind of mental desease,...

... though any wrong steps in the related rituals are daunted and known as beeing heavy in consequences, as are for instance, the magico-religious practices around the use of daturas in sorcery, as described by carlos Castaneda

Just in case :Sorry for my english for such a complex debate...)

Krakatau wrote:
valhallasound wrote: Back when I was in college, Dennis McKenna (Terrance McKenna's brother) gave a presentation on the chemistry of ayahuasca at a house I was living in. It turns out that ayahuasca works on having a mixture of plants, and the individual plant components don't do much on their own. The "yagé" vine, Banisteriopsis caapi, has a bit of a sedative effect, but its primary usage in ayahuasca is to act as an MAO inhibitor. Some of the other plants in ayahuasca contain DMT, which is a super powerful hallucinogen, but is broken down by MAO when taken orally. By combining the DMT containing plants with Banisteriopsis caapi, the result is a brew that has the effects of DMT when taken orally. Dennis emphasized how weird and remarkable it was that this particular mixture of plants had been discovered, presumably through trial and error.

Sean Costello
to come back a while to this off-topic debate, i knew that the psychoactive molecule produced by Banisteriopsis caapi is strictly identical to the one produced by a plant that grows around the meditteranean sea called Peganum harmala
Know by local arabic culture as a beeing poisonous, but not related to shamanic practice or similar, in northern africa for instance

I know quite well many animistic practice from western africa, but didn't saw myself anything related to the use of hallucingenic plants or even heard about (except Iboga and the M'Bwiti cults, but that central africa, far from the area of africa i'm familiar with...)

The contact with "the invisible world2 seems to never involve such drugs and i'm finally amazed how do insiders find the required suggestibility to get into altered states, trauma or extasies, in where creature from the "invisible world" or "the world from beyond the death" are supposed to express themselves throgh someone else's body

AFAIK it rsuggest a kind of "multiple personnality" paradigm applied to a cosmogonic contest that doesn't see it as just symtoms of kind of mental desease,...

... though any wrong steps in the related rituals are daunted and known as beeing heavy in consequences, as are for instance, the magico-religious practices around the use of daturas in sorcery, as described by carlos Castaneda

Just in case :Sorry for my english for such a complex debate...)
The hippy/street nickname for DMT is/are "deamsters", and it is not fun getting dosed/laced with them if you're not expecting it :x :o :-o
Be careful what gets passed to you to smoke at a music festival (it is not always pure weed in some cases). It probably didn't help that I was out of mind shrooming my face off already, at 5:30 a.m., watching the band that had just took the stage :shock: I joke about it now, but it freaked me out for a good 10 mins at the time :lol: It was one of those younger YOLO moments. I think for a good year after that happened, any new person that I smoked with, I always asked them if it was just purely weed that was packed up :hihi:

futile wrote:Hi Sean, congratulations for such good sounding plugins.

I was recently watching this synth jam video where he uses Strymon Timeline, on minute 14 he runs the Vermona Mono Lancet through the Ice delay and I was blown away by the effect he creates around the bassline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW_MXBq1Ixo

I was wondering if the way to recreate this effect would be by running Shimmer through ÜberMod. If you don't mind, could you advice us on how would you do it?

Thank you in advance.
Recreating the Strymon Timeline sounds would be tricky in Shimmer. ValhallaShimmer is a diffusion based reverb with a pitch shifter in the feedback, while the Timeline Ice Delay is a pitch shifter with some diffusion added. The difference is the size of the pitch shifter slices, versus the diffusion size:

Shimmer: BIG diffusion, with short/randomized pitch shifter slices
Timeline Ice: Short diffusion, big pitch shifter slices

The closest approximation would be using the MediumStereo mode in Shimmer, with lower Diffusion settings. But this will still have the sound of a bigger diffusion section.

With ÜberMod, I have the ability to dial in the diffusion size, but I don't have the splicing pitch shifter in there - just some "glitch shifting" that occurs when abusing the chorusing waveforms.

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote:[…] ValhallaRoom and ValhallaVintageVerb only interpolate some of the delays in the structure, to save CPU. If every delay was interpolated, the same slurping sounds could be achieved as in ÜberMod and Shimmer, but the CPU would be at least 2X as high as the current CPU consumption. Probably more.

Sean Costello
I would absolutely *love* to see a "no compromises, make things sound as good as possible" hq interpolation mode in Vee3 (and although I don't have VRoom - yet - I guess the same goes for that). Since Vee3's CPU consumption per instance is pretty low as it is (almost negligible even on my 'old' C2D MBP), I would be more than happy to sacrifice at least 16x as much CPU slurping for improved audio slurping. Probably more. :)

me too!

Experiment:

Solo Oboe (VSL extended) processed with 6 instances of Shimmer, each one tuned differently, send automation to the 6 Busses per note. Used Shimmer intervals: minor third/fourth/fifth/minor sixth/major sixth/octave - the first five run in dual transpose mode so they transpose up and down, the octave only transposes downwards (single reverse). The oboe was also send to a B2 reverb for general reverb.

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/o ... mmer-etude

Sampleconstruct wrote:Experiment:

Solo Oboe (VSL extended) processed with 6 instances of Shimmer, each one tuned differently, send automation to the 6 Busses per note. Used Shimmer intervals: minor third/fourth/fifth/minor sixth/major sixth/octave - the first five run in dual transpose mode so they transpose up and down, the octave only transposes downwards (single reverse). The oboe was also send to a B2 reverb for general reverb.

Glorious.

I remember several years ago when you posted an example of several tuned Shimmer instances on automated sends (IIRC, this predated SoundCloud). I was reasonably happy with Shimmer as an "instaEno" processor, but your compositional use of the plugin blew me away. Same thing this morning.

Sean Costello

Very interesting...

:)

I assume you'd need to make an elaborate automation work if you intend to respect a given scale/tonality with a relative accuracy...

....even more difficult with simultaneous up and down transposition of "non-static" intervals !

8)

A little gem, didactically talking...

valhallasound wrote:

Glorious.

I remember several years ago when you posted an example of several tuned Shimmer instances on automated sends (IIRC, this predated SoundCloud). I was reasonably happy with Shimmer as an "instaEno" processor, but your compositional use of the plugin blew me away. Same thing this morning.

Sean Costello
Thank's Sean, yeah that was with french horns - I think it's still on the cloud somewhere, I have to search for it. Shimmer sounds so orchestral that it's great to use for this sort of thing with just solo instruments.

Return to “Effects”