RELATED
PRODUCTS
ValhallaShimmer

valhallasound wrote:
http://vimeo.com/53703830

Sean Costello
Stochastic heaven!

valhallasound wrote:
I seriously need to look into Andrew Souter's protein shake w/raw oatmeal. I should try the kale smoothies again.

Sean Costello

To be specific "Steal cut oats" are ideal. Normal oatmeal has already been cooked/boiled for a substantial duration which makes it faster to prepare traditionally and easier to digest as a side effect. Steal cut oats are about as close as you can get to the full unprocessed grain. Typically cooking them takes 30min as opposed to "quick oats" which are the fast food variety that can be prepared in 60sec in a microwave.

Uncooked steal cut oats aree basically horse food. :-). They are very hard to digest. Hence mostly fiber. But as carbs go this is desirable... Slow release energy... Opposite of high fructose corn syrup which is basically poison.

The exact shake recipe is:

Met-rx traditional protein (mostly whey some casein plus extra glutamine amino acid) two scopes: 46grams of protein
Unsweetened almond milk
Raw unsalted almond butter to taste (approx three tablespoons or so) or other nut with peanut being the last option (it is actually a legume not a nut and has more simple carbs in comparison)
Raw flax seed (2 tablespoons) and/or chia
3 table spoons to 1/4 cup raw steal cut oats
Frozen berries to taste (raspberry, blackberry, blueberry mix is ideal)
1 bananna: one the green side of ripeness. (less sugar)
Water, ice
Optionally: psyllium for extra fiber

That's the general formula. Improvise as desired.

Happy thanksgiving,

I get this:

from this guy:

The side-effects can be a bitch, though.
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

antithesist wrote:I get this:

from this guy:

:D :D

Is that Ayahuasca?? :wink:

Galbanum wrote:
IIRC correctly from the film, the brew was supposed to contain this:

(that photo was taken a few blocks from my house, BTW, in the yard of someone who I am presuming was some sort of witch or bruja)

Sean Costello

antithesist wrote:I get this:

from this guy:

Actually on second glance it looks a bit like some bottles of Kombucha I've had that have a particularly robust probiotic culture! Or the new ones that also have chia seeds...
Last edited by Andrew Souter on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

valhallasound wrote:
Galbanum wrote:

(that photo was taken a few blocks from my house, BTW, in the yard of someone who I am presuming was some sort of witch or bruja)

Sean Costello

Nah. That's "fly agaric" which is neither ayahuasca nor Psilocybin mushrooms...

Galbanum wrote:
valhallasound wrote:
Galbanum wrote:

Sean Costello

But will still send you fairly batty for a few hours! :D

Actually Galbanum's right by the the Maxim article I took the brew picture from. They may be just assuming. I think my favorite character did mention magic mushrooms or something. I've got the script around here somewhere. It didn't seem to show up when I was searching earlier, though google was pretty strange altogether, compared to usual. Okay, here we go:

Mason Parrish - "You're supposed to be reputable scientists! Not two dorm kids freaking on Mexican mushrooms!"

And one of my favorites, though there are many, and it's somewhat unrelated:

Mason Parrish - "And I'm not going to listen to any more of your kabbalistic, quantum, friggin' dumb limbo mumbo jumbo!"

Anyway, I also recommend the Altered States score and derivatives by John Corigliano.

valhallasound wrote:I was eating some Theo for awhile during the summer & fall
:-o :-o :-o

valhallasound wrote:(Theo is actually the name of a local chocolate company)
:phew:
:drunk:

I got a chuckle out of that one, too.

Mushrooms are fun once in a while. Just don't eat a bunch all night at a music festival and then go smoking random pipes of what you think is just weed offered to you at 5 a.m. while watching the last band go on for that night. Accidentally put myself into what I now believe was a K-hole, which was the scariest entheogen experience I ever had :shock: For about 20 minutes I heard the band (Particle) mixed with washes of what sounded like a Valhalla Shimmer reverb effect and my friend trying to comprehend and ask me questions about what was going on with me. I lost vision and could only hear sounds as if they were coming from a long spacey tunnel :-o Not fun when you are not prepared for that.

My philosophy now is "Don't panic, it's organic"

The Valhalla Shimmer effect is psychedelic space reverb put simply.

Galbanum wrote:
valhallasound wrote:
Galbanum wrote:

Sean Costello

Please. I was an ANTHROPOLOGY major. I think I know Amanita muscaria when I see it!

:D

In "Altered States," I think that they mentioned that Amanita muscaria was present in the brew. Which would be kind of a strange thing to find in the deserts of Mexico. Of course, psilocybe mushrooms would be strange to find in the deserts of Mexico, and yet Carlos Castaneda had Don Juan using them in his ceremonies. Anyway, it was implied in "Altered States" that the brew was using some previously unknown compounds. It is also possible that the ceremonies were in mountains closer to the coast, or that the mushroom was obtained via trade with peoples in wooded areas. It is also possible that "Altered States" wasn't, in fact, a documentary.

Amanita musicaria had several decades of being trendy in the farthest fringes of the social sciences. There were lots of attempts to credit the fly agaric with being the Soma of the Rig Veda, or the origins of Santa Claus, or the origin of all religion. Unfortunately for these theories, the effects of Amanita muscaria tend to be far less profound, and are often described as unpleasant.

I could go on, but this isn't really on topic for a discussion that is nominally about a reverb, no matter how psychedelic that reverb might be. A good recent book on the subject is "Shroom" by Andy Letcher.

Sean Costello

metalifuxx wrote: The Valhalla Shimmer effect is psychedelic space reverb put simply.
:D

There is something about that pitch modulated reverb sound that I love. Obviously. You can find it in 3 of my plugins. I feel that ValhallaShimmer is the spaciest of them all, due to the "clear" frequency response and super slow attack.

ValhallaFreqEcho is arguably more psychedelic, due to the weird spatial effects. A hybrid of the two plugins could be very interesting...

Sean

You mean it's not real? Next you'll be debunking "Cat People." It was just a joke. To clarify, I meant that the Maxim article mentioned ayahuasca.

"See these eyes so green
I can stare for a thousand years
Just be still with me
You wouldn't believe what I've been through"

- David Bowie

Okay, back to Black Friday and my On Demand "Spartacus: Vengeance" marathon on the Starz free-preview.

Return to “Effects”